2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

Mickey5150

They should relocate it elsewhere on property, or at least as you said update it to something really special or replace it with an amazing new holiday show. That's what they should do, bad feeling of reality is it's probably not getting relocated or replaced with anything
The good and the bad of just saying this is the last year leaves it open for some new and better or nothing at all. I'm hoping for Skywalker Family Festival of Dancing Lights.:cool:

PhilharMagician

Unless... perhaps Disney buys the lights so that credit no longer has to be given to the Osborne family, and then Disney can display them anywhere they want. Perhaps a drive-through opportunity, like many communities have. I even have a location to suggest: the old airstrip that runs parallel to World Drive and the MK parking lots. The roads are there, and I'm sure some electrical infrastructure.

Disney does not own the lights?

I thought a deal was struck between Jennings and TWDC in the beginning to buy the hard goods?

POLY LOVER

Disney has said they will not be moved and are not returning. So any replacement will have to be an all new show of some kind.

what I read is that they are setting it up now, are we talking the next few years. When did they make that statement? wouldn't a natural spot be around the lake area if they need a new spot, or along the street that leads to the Tower of terror?

PhilharMagician

Disney has said they will not be moved and are not returning. So any replacement will have to be an all new show of some kind.

I hope they can create something new that will match or exceed the energy and beauty they have achieved with "The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights".

WhatJaneSays

For the 2016 Holiday season I really don’t expect anything beyond regular decoration and theming for DHS. There is just going to be to many things in the process of getting closed off to start demo, plus pre-construction staging and planning will likely be setting up in areas that normally service many of the holiday events for DHS. There is a chance for street party or fireworks or both, but there is little chance of some other major event at that park for next year.

This could be a major boon for Epcot and maybe even AK. This gives Epcot the opportunity to gain back and expand their holiday game. AK will have more of an evening presence by then with night safaris, RoL, and possibly some other draws so I could easily see them trying to shift some attention that way for the holidays.

I’ve also heard in the lead up to last year’s MVMCPs that the event needs some overhaul. Maybe in 2016 they’ll try to make that happen too.

Really I’m not expecting any ‘holiday spectacular’ for DHS until 2018 at the earliest, but it could be an even money bet that there won’t be any until as far off as 2021 depending on Star Wars and Toy Story lands. (I doubt there will be much need that first holiday season Star Wars or Toy Story opens to lure people to that park – so why bother?)

Scooter

With Avatar and Star Wars coming I doubt Disney is concerned about a lose of revenue due to Osborne Lights going away. I'm just guessing, but I think Disney might replace it with a similar version of the light show they have at Disneyland. The name slips my mind at the moment.

scottb411

Well, the new Toy Story Land has Christmas (Holiday) Lights strung throughout the land year-round. It only makes sense to me that Disney returns the Nativity and Angels back to the Osborne family and string just the holiday lights around Toy Story Land during the months of November through January and have Toy Story holiday activities during that time. The Land will certainly be large enough.

*Q*

I don't see yet another offering coming to the Magic Kingdom for Christmas. Maybe they'd do a Christmas edition of Rivers of Light?

What I'd like to see the most is a big new light display in Future World with a new Lights of Winter as the centerpiece. Is there any reason they can't deck the Future World pavilions out in Christmas lights? I think those monolithic structures are begging to be covered in LEDs and the like. And flood Spaceship Earth with red and green.

Blairnicol

Ugh-this makes me sad. We pretty much knew it was coming, but I was really hoping they would re-purpose the display somewhere else in the parks. I have yet to see a positive comment on the official Disney Blog post about it. I'm sure all of the lamenting is falling of deaf ears (and was probably expected). I hope that they have something really spectacular planned to replace it, whenever that happens. I agree with @WhatJaneSays...it will be a few years before we see something permanent or on the same scale.

Now pardon me while I go cry in the corner...

punkabella

I'm in a very feeling feels kind of state lately, and this brought me to tears knowing how many happy memories the lights have given me, my family, and friends. The sheer joy of being surrounded by dancing and twinkling lights made you feel absolutely child-like. I know this also means I'm just growing older, and WDW is evolving. New traditions will hopefully come forward in future years to keep the child-like mirth alive. I will miss the Osborne lights and am glad I got to see them a few times.

stretchsje

I don't see how seasonal Christmas lights would fit thematically in either Star Wars or Toy Story lands. I too think the World Showcase seems like a natural fit for some sort of holiday overlay or event.

However, the holiday overlay in Cars Land in Anaheim is quite beautiful. :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't see how seasonal Christmas lights would fit thematically in either Star Wars or Toy Story lands.

However, the holiday overlay in Cars Land in Anaheim is quite beautiful. :)

Star Wars Holiday Special aside, I agree they don't fit in SWL, but there is no reason they wouldn't fit in Toy Story Land. Although I don't know if Andy's religion is ever addressed in the movies. ;)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I always planned to take my kids to see the lights one day. When they were older and we could brave the crowds more easily. We will be checking in on the 1/3 this year for the WDW Marathon. Maybe we will be able to squeeze in an evening to see the lights in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom