2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Hearing more stuff pointing towards Imagination going down next year. I really hope Based Rees is delivering us from Pixar in the name of our Dreamfinder who art in Wasteland hallowed be thy name.

Just like the protagonist of this song -

I sometimes wonder if the sands of time for Figgy are running looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, running loooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOW..........Has there been any new news about imagination or is it all still speculation? I would be happy if they would open the upstairs playground again, but it seems like that is naught but a dream.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Give it time. In a few more years, they will have been building the mine ride since the park was opened.

So long as the time increases in 2.5 year quanta. I would accept 7.5 years or 10 years or 25 years, but not 9 years. I'd be all over that jackass. Plus, we could just say, "It took 3 RTtBtMTUs (Real Time to Build the Mine Train Units)" as opposed to the cumbersome 7.5 years.

BrerJon

I love that people critical of EPCOT have to learn to let it go that the park can never be returned to what it once was in their minds, but those critical of the Disney company as a whole for the same exact thing are fighting the righteous fight and are to be praised.

Those aren't two different positions. Saying EPCOT Center is never coming back is just stating facts, like saying Pleasure Island is never coming back. It's not that closing them wasn't boneheaded and stupid, but realistically nothing can change what is done, however poorer the resort is for those decisions. Nobody is defending Disney for that, just saying that's how things are.

The more broader holding Disney to account is about influencing decisions going forward, and doing what we can to persuade them to make better decisions in the future than they did when they gutted Future World.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Those aren't two different positions. Saying EPCOT Center is never coming back is just stating facts, like saying Pleasure Island is never coming back. It's not that closing them wasn't boneheaded and stupid, but realistically nothing can change what is done, however poorer the resort is for those decisions. Nobody is defending Disney for that, just saying that's how things are.

The more broader holding Disney to account is about influencing decisions going forward, and doing what we can to persuade them to make better decisions in the future than they did when they gutted Future World.

Welcome to the splitting fine semantic hairs for no purpose club. Of course, the old EPCOT isn't coming back. Everyone knows that. The criticism has the same goal as the more broad holding Disney to account criticism, just on a more specific level. Plus, you can't really be too broad. Things always get down to, "I liked the hub better when there were more trees," because without specificity you're just talking about how expensive the suits worn by the suits are.

Otterhead

Of course, the old EPCOT isn't coming back.
I wouldn't want the old EPCOT to come back. Much of it was terribly dated. The point of EPCOT is to be an ever-evolving world's fair; I don't mourn the loss of the World of Motion ride or the 80s electronics in CommuniCore. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't hope for improvement: taking the best of the past and making it even more awesome for the future. "Imagination" is in dire need of improvement. I'll keep hoping the budgets make that possible.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Welcome to the splitting fine semantic hairs for no purpose club. Of course, the old EPCOT isn't coming back. Everyone knows that. The criticism has the same goal as the more broad holding Disney to account criticism, just on a more specific level. Plus, you can't really be too broad. Things always get down to, "I liked the hub better when there were more trees," because without specificity you're just talking about how expensive the suits worn by the suits are.
Yes%2Bsir%2BD%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I wouldn't want the old EPCOT to come back. Much of it was terribly dated. The point of EPCOT is to be an ever-evolving world's fair; I don't mourn the loss of the World of Motion ride or the 80s electronics in CommuniCore. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't hope for improvement: taking the best of the past and making it even more awesome for the future. "Imagination" is in dire need of improvement. I'll keep hoping the budgets make that possible.
Exactly. As much as I loved each attraction in old EPCOT, I do not want to see their return. I just want the park to return to what it once was, a park that had a purpose other than to sell booze and food. A park that was actually trying to make a difference.

The Empress Lilly

EPCOT Center's never coming back. But then, EPCOT was never meant to remain unchanged for 35 years. It was designed to be changing forever. The park is still moving forward, and this we can influence, try to push the direction it moves in, back to EPCOT's lofty goals and ideas.

(oh, who are we kidding. Current Disney is an IP branding corp. EPCOT's going to be turned into Fantasy Celeb Land and it is only going to get worse. Soon we'll see Hunger Games in The Land or Jeopardy in Energy - although I admit these two examples are so singularly idiotic that even Disney will not stoop down to them)

Otterhead

I just want the park to return to what it once was, a park that had a purpose other than to sell booze and food. A park that was actually trying to make a difference.
EPCOT has always sold booze and food. Having restaurants (and alcohol) from around the world was always a feature of the park. I think the Food & Wine Fest can happily exist alongside Spaceship Earth.

On my most recent trip, I was wearing a shirt featuring all the old EPCOT icons. As I got on Soarin', a CM ran up and complimented my shirt, and then showed me his old-school The Land icon tattoo. As long as Epcot still has CM's like that who love what it was AND what it is, I'm not worried :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
EPCOT has always sold booze and food. Having restaurants (and alcohol) from around the world was always a feature of the park. I think the Food & Wine Fest can happily exist alongside Spaceship Earth.

On my most recent trip, I was wearing a shirt featuring all the old EPCOT icons. As I got on Soarin', a CM ran up and complimented my shirt, and then showed me his old-school The Land icon tattoo. As long as Epcot still has CM's like that who love what it was AND what it is, I'm not worried :)
EPCOT always sold food and booze, but it was not the focus, it was as a part of the host country experience.
I wish I felt the same. On my last 2 trips I was wearing classic EPCOT shirts, one that was only given out to the original construction and imagineering team in 1982, the other a Kitchen Kabaret shirt I made myself. Not a single person noticed, and a DHS employee looked and said "what's with the broccoli on your shirt?".
Hiring CMs is one thing, and it's nice. Actually making attractions and experiences that hold to the ideals of the park is another.

Otterhead

Sorry, I'm not seeing how "booze" is the focus of EPCOT at all. Outside of the Food & Wine Fest, I'm not seeing how it's any different than it's always been. And given that they used to devote a big chunk of CommuniCore to video "phones" specifically to let you make dining reservations, I'd say food has always been a huge part of Epcot.

PhotoDave219

I love that people critical of EPCOT have to learn to let it go that the park can never be returned to what it once was in their minds, but those critical of the Disney company as a whole for the same exact thing are fighting the righteous fight and are to be praised.

I respect people for wanting high ideals and principles for their park, especially those who were actually alive and saw the park back in the day.

All things change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom