2015: The year of the EPCOT makeover?

Progress.City

DHS will be improving in the future for sure:

- Pixar expansion
- Star Wars
- Muppets

I really hope that Disney does stick to their original themes, but that they just change the way how they bring it to the guests. Epcot for example always had a plus with the movies in World showcase for the old audience. The old audience was interested in exploring culture through videos, because it was all new and people just didn't travel that far. Nowadays people are still interested in exploring culture, but the difference is, is that we can watch a lot of different videos about culture today and also people travel further than before. If Epcot wants to improve here, they should make rides which we can not experience at home or by going on a holiday. And I don't see the way to bring culture to the audience with Disney characters only, especially ones which are unclear and not really depicting culture. I've seen examples of Ratatouille and Mulan for example, but I like these ideas because they depict culture from France and China. Frozen could depict a little bit of Scandinavian culture, but it doesn't set apart Norway from the rest of Scandinavia. And also a few of the biggest cultural things of Norway are left out in Frozen, Gods, Vikings, real trolls with three heads and so on. Norway doesn't have living snowmen and ice queens. I love Frozen but it simply doesn't fit well enough. I'm okay with Nemo eventhough I would love to see a small area for him in AK and not in Epcot. Three Caballeros are fine, they depict Mexican culture. The only problem with the Gran Fiesta tour is that it's not interesting enough. Disney has to learn how to combine educational with entertainment( Not only through Characters!!!).
Muppets?

My dream is that Jim Henson's work for the never-built Muppets Studio get a chance of seeing light of day, but there is no indication that this is happening. What Muppet work were you referring to?

Bing Bong

I live in south florida I goto Disney more than 10 times a year, I have rode test track 2.0 probably 5-8 times this year alone. I have NEVER, I mean NEVER heard any of that. I dont know if its because the speakers on my ride vehicle arent working or if during the pre que design the exposition isnt delivered well enough, but I have NEVER heard any of what you just explained. OK after watching this video

I now see you are referring to the 2 short sentences they say in a generic voice before each test. That is very missable if you arent paying attention or have loud people in your car or your car speakers are quiet. And I have to say that is the most I have seen extrapolated from 2 sentences of ride dialog for each test lol Kudos to you for having such a great imagination. Should hire you to be a imagineer. How did the crash barrier effect never work? It wasnt that bad of an effect and how is it any different to what they do now. you charge at a wall and it opens at the last second.

Someone's upset.

Progress.City

tron-coaster-close-up1-big.jpg

It has a cover that will be porous
Oh... I want one...

...HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would make SUCH a great new addition to Tomorrowland in the vacant expansion pad land next to Space Mountain!

image.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

What about the expansion pad in front of that area? I believe its called tomorrowland speedway currently
I wouldn't cry over the loss of the Speedway as i've never been a fan, but there's PLENTY of space to use first without actually having to lose an existing attraction. It's becoming irritating to see Disney replacing rides and pretending they're expanding the parks. And expansion implies you're building something bigger using land that went unused prior. Replacing a ride is just repurposing land, it's not expanding outwards.

Some rides and attractions deserve replacement, and under the right circumstances with a promising replacement I wouldn't miss the Speedway, but they should call it what it really is. The Magic Kingdom has capacity issues even after New Fantasyland (which itself was barely an expansion at all given that the space was largely occupied by 20k Leagues) and it needs ACTUAL expansion before anything else of any kind of popularity is lost.

There's plenty of empty unused space next to Space Mountain as well as the large cast member parking lot nestled in between Carousel of Progress and Main Street. I'm fine with the loss of the Speedway if the other expansion pads are included in a new hypothetical Tomorrowland redevelopment (such as in a case where the land gets a completely rethemed overhaul), but otherwise keep the Speedway as is. Replacing it without true expansion doesn't solve any of MK's issues whatsoever.

Last edited:

gljvd

I wouldn't cry over the loss of the Speedway as i've never been a fan, but there's PLENTY of space to use first without actually having to lose an existing attraction. It's becoming irritating to see Disney replacing rides and pretending they're expanding the parks. And expansion implies you're building something bigger using land that went unused prior. Replacing a ride is just repurposing land, it's not expanding outwards.

Some rides and attractions deserve replacement, and under the right circumstances with a promising replacement I wouldn't miss the Speedway, but they should call it what it really is. The Magic Kingdom has capacity issues even after New Fantasyland (which itself was barely an expansion at all given that the space was largely occupied by 20k Leagues) and it needs ACTUAL expansion before anything else of any kind of popularity is lost.

There's plenty of empty unused space next to Space Mountain as well as the large cast member parking lot nestled in between Carousel of Progress and Main Street. I'm fine with the loss of the Speedway if the other expansion pads are included in a new hypothetical Tomorrowland redevelopment (such as in a case where the land gets a completely rethemed overhaul), but otherwise keep the Speedway as is. Replacing it without true expansion doesn't solve any of MK's issues whatsoever.

well that's how universal is working and people are raving about those parks.

However Speedway needs a make over , they need to figure something out for that spot.

sedati

Don't know more than most But following the project closely...if covered by glass or not I am interested why the coaster has to go outside at all...
Could be glass, or it could be covered in a reflective opaque shell. This would basically create a giant open dome upon which any sort of creative lighting or projection mapping could occur. The boxed in area is more condensed track, this organic shaped portion is for a higher speed area. I'm not certain if any portion of this ride will actually go outside. The artwork shows the lattice work structure going right up to the little square where the track currently exits the main show building.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Don't know more than most But following the project closely...if covered by glass or not I am interested why the coaster has to go outside at all...
I remember reading an article where supposedly any Disney Chinese thrill ride will have any outdoor portion in plain sight, due to the unfamiliar audiences, who have only had a Disney theme park in their grasps for a decade, walking up to Space Mountain, and not realize that it was a thrill ride (and come out the other side...!) and find out. Think Big Grizzly Mountain, etc.

flyerjab

I am still working on why this thread is still a thread, unless we are considering Frozen and the Norway Pavilion 'upgrades' and the expansion and plussing of Soarin' what compromises '2015: The Year of the EPCOT Makeover.'

Who started this thread? Oh yeah...

Last edited:

JordanNite

Pointless thread.

If they can't do anything wth Frozen they sure as hell aren't going to do anything major with the park.

What's worst is that with Frozen going into Norway that area is going to be busy ..... and crowded. I enjoy the walkways around there, but it's going to be incredibly crowded now.

JordanNite

Frozen ride will be a cheap redo of Maelstrom - the same way they did the cheap overlay for the Nemo attraction.

What was the last massive attraction they built at Disney in Orlando? It's so long ago i can barely remember. That Fantasy Land coaster that took 5 years to build - dont make me laugh.

Otterhead

I'm surprised there's been no mention of the new Ratatouille ride at Disneyland Paris. It's winning all kinds of awards and is super popular; I don't know how much room it takes up, but I guarantee it'd have a lot more riders than "Impressions de France" if they added it to EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom