1986 - The House of the Future: Week 9

Mickeynerd17

I mean to a degree. An Atlantis area would be tricky as the only IP that would fit there is Atlantis which is oof. Other places like The 7 Wonders of the World could do the Statue of Zeus and do Hercules (I know it's technically the Roman name but the rest is set in Greece). It isn't the greatest, but it could work!
20,000 Leagues fits with Atlantis. Disney SEA already did that.

Outbound

Space Western is basically Galaxy’s Edge without the Star Wars. I imagine we could create our own characters to fit the stories we are trying to tell. Heck, look at Pirates of the Caribbean. It’s now a major IP, and it derived from an original ride!

Ultimately, while I get where you’re coming from, I think we should choose the idea that resonates with us creatively most. Let’s consider all ideas and make an informed decision tomorrow.

Mickeynerd17

Space Western is basically Galaxy’s Edge without the Star Wars. I imagine we could create our own characters to fit the stories we are trying to tell. Heck, look at Pirates of the Caribbean. It’s now a major IP, and it derived from an original ride!

Ultimately, while I get where you’re coming from, I think we should choose the idea that resonates with us creatively most. Let’s consider all ideas and make an informed decision tomorrow.
Agreed!

Good work today guys!

PerGron

I feel like I need to address the Star Wars idea:

I appreciate the enthusiasm about star wars, but I just want to make clear that making basically a giant Galaxies Edge might not be the best thing to do. Sure, it may be easy, but is quality Imagineering ever easy?

Never! Some of the most popular attractions were Walt Disney thinking outside the box with radically new concepts that had never been done before, and one of the best theme parks ever made was designed as an educational facility with rides (epcot). This idea in my humble honest opinion would be an easy cop-out of what could be a magnificent project.

I'll give my weight if we decide on Star Wars, and I actually don't want to mess with the vote, but I just wanted to put that out there for consideration.
I’m sorry, but space station with no IP is not “outside the box.” It’s taking Star Wars and removing everything people like and making it just generic sci-fi themed.

If we did Star Wars, the beautiful thing about it is there are so many stories to be told beyond the movies and shows. Look at The Mandalorian, or Solo, or Rogue One, they’re all separate stories taking place within the universe.

We could easily incorporate your ideas and space western and whatnot and set it within the Star Wars universe. I’m not talking just making a hoth land and a Tatooine land, that’d be unoriginal, but what you’re proposing is literally just my proposal but removing the ability for familiar characters and storylines that we can play with.

It’d be so easy to tell original stories in the SW universe while tying them into the grander story, but you guys are so stuck on sequel trilogy bad. We don’t even have to touch the ST. We could set it during the prequels, during the OT, or even years after everything. We can do whatever we want, it just gives us the ability to make it more relatable by using characters people love.

Just my two cents

NigelChanning

I’m sorry, but space station with no IP is not “outside the box.” It’s taking Star Wars and removing everything people like and making it just generic sci-fi themed.

If we did Star Wars, the beautiful thing about it is there are so many stories to be told beyond the movies and shows. Look at The Mandalorian, or Solo, or Rogue One, they’re all separate stories taking place within the universe.

We could easily incorporate your ideas and space western and whatnot and set it within the Star Wars universe. I’m not talking just making a hoth land and a Tatooine land, that’d be unoriginal, but what you’re proposing is literally just my proposal but removing the ability for familiar characters and storylines that we can play with.

It’d be so easy to tell original stories in the SW universe while tying them into the grander story, but you guys are so stuck on sequel trilogy bad. We don’t even have to touch the ST. We could set it during the prequels, during the OT, or even years after everything. We can do whatever we want, it just gives us the ability to make it more relatable by using characters people love.

Just my two cents
I’d even be okay if we didn’t touch the Sequel Trilogy. There are almost no memorable locations. I would LOVE a park based on the prequels, OT, Mandalorian, and Clone Wars. I just figure it may be too unrealistic since the sequels are the only films Disney had control over.

PerGron

I’d even be okay if we didn’t touch the Sequel Trilogy. There are almost no memorable locations. I would LOVE a park based on the prequels, OT, Mandalorian, and Clone Wars. I just figure it may be too unrealistic since the sequels are the only films Disney had control over.
I think we could set it in whatever Era. Disney has finished clone wars (prequels) and added solo, rogue one, rebels, and mando (OT era), plus they're iconic.

And with this, we wouldn't have to tie into the new movies, so we'd have more freedom than marketing

NigelChanning

I think we could set it in whatever Era. Disney has finished clone wars (prequels) and added solo, rogue one, rebels, and mando (OT era), plus they're iconic.

And with this, we wouldn't have to tie into the new movies, so we'd have more freedom than marketing
That’s true.

And everyone gets a little bit of what they want. Space Western (Mandalorian), Space Station (Star Destroyer or Republic ship). That kinda works out pretty well.

PerGron

That’s true.

And everyone gets a little bit of what they want. Space Western (Mandalorian), Space Station (Star Destroyer or Republic ship). That kinda works out pretty well.
If we set it during the OT, we still can play with Prequel Characters

- Hondo
- Bo Katan
- Ahsoka
- Captain Rex
- Commander Wolffe
- Mon Mothma
- Maul (depending when we set it)

plus some Sequel Characters are clearly alive during the OT, so if we wanted to reference the sequels at all, we could feature some other characters like Maz Kanata and Holdo.

There's a lot we can do with Star Wars in any era really

D Hulk

b23fb4hisw041.jpg

Mickeynerd17

Just my two cents
Please look up the Brava Centauri scenes of Horizons.

An incredible space station colony with habitats and no IP integration whatsoever. They were some of the best scenes in the attraction.

Now, we could take that idea and expand on it. I'm not saying copy Brava Centauri, but use it as a reference instead. Create a subtle backstory and go more on the fantasy side.

I understand your concerns of an awkward copy of SW without SW, but we could avoid that if we designed it to be separate. I'm thinking late '90s Tomorrowland fantasy style.

Good storytelling is never easy, and while it would be easier to put our park through the Star Wars formula, I don't think it would be creatively out of the box enough to do it. We need something radically new and exciting, and nobody has really pulled off an entire space station before.

Idk, mabye SW is the best route to take. I'm probably a bit biased because I am so sick of hearing about star wars constantly that I just want a break with something else. Im also sick of the constant IP attractions with no original storytelling going into parks. One thing about star wars is that it already exists at two resorts, soon to be 3, plus all the star tours rides, and making another entire park would just be piling on top of already a huge overload of the brand on the parks. Also, I personally will go nuts having to do star wars projects for another 6 weeks, but that's a me problem.

Thanks for your analysis though!

Last edited:

PerGron

Please look up the Brava Centauri scenes of Horizons.

An incredible space station colony with habitats and no IP integration whatsoever. They were some of the best scenes in the attraction.

Now, we could take that idea and expand on it. I'm not saying copy Brava Centauri, but use it as a reference instead. Create a subtle backstory and go more on the fantasy side.

I understand your concerns of an awkward copy of SW without SW, but we could avoid that if we designed it to be separate. I'm thinking late '90s Tomorrowland fantasy style.

Good storytelling is never easy, and while it would be easier to put our park through the Star Wars formula, I don't think it would be creatively out of the box enough to do it. We need something radically new and exciting, and nobody has really pulled off an entire space station before.

Thanks for your analysis though!
So instead of leaning towards Star Wars (which most other folks have agreed would be a good direction to go), you're going to say instead we should just mash Epcot and Tomorrowland again, got it.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but your post was incredibly condescending, especially where you're in the minority. Trust me, I was the one who championed Adventure Atoll, you don't want to start forcing your ideas on people who aren't responding to them.

IF we go with your idea, I can only see so many places we can take it which really won't lead to creative issues in the coming rounds. Remember, this is the theme for the WHOLE park we're deciding right now, we want to make sure we have options going forward.

A futuristic city/base/ship would make an excellent LAND, and I'm with you on that, but it wouldn't be a great basis for the PARK as a whole. We could easily incorporate that into a Star Wars park later down the line, as well as Outbound's space western ideas, and anything else we come up with.

I don't want to be the bad guy here, but that post required a response. Outbound, Nigel, and I have all responded well to Star Wars, so I'd like to hear @DashHaber and @AceAstro thoughts as well. I get your concerns and critiques, but I have my own of yours.

Let's see how the rest of the team responds rather than having a ing match between you and I on our ideas we don't even know two peoples' thoughts on. No point of arguing our two ideas if everyone else wants something else.

Also, for the record, I've seen Horizons, so I definitely didn't appreciate that condescending tone. That or the last line.

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Hey guys, just wanted to step in here to remind of something:
The park is meant to be set around a central lagoon. Make sure that your park's theme makes sense with that format and that you aren't cornering yourself into this theme for the endgame. We just wanted to remind you of this so that your resort's second gate can be as good as possible. We're willing to extend this week's HOH round if you feel like you need more time to settle on your theme and build out your entrance land.

AceAstro

The park is meant to be set around a central lagoon. Make sure that your park's theme makes sense with that format and that you aren't cornering yourself into this theme for the endgame. We just wanted to remind you of this so that your resort's second gate can be as good as possible. We're willing to extend this week's HOH round if you feel like you need more time to settle on your theme and build out your entrance land.
This is a great point. We can't have a Spaceship/ Space port type theme with a giant lake in the middle of it. That makes no sense

NigelChanning

So instead of leaning towards Star Wars (which most other folks have agreed would be a good direction to go), you're going to say instead we should just mash Epcot and Tomorrowland again, got it.

I don't mean to come across as rude, but your post was incredibly condescending, especially where you're in the minority. Trust me, I was the one who championed Adventure Atoll, you don't want to start forcing your ideas on people who aren't responding to them.

IF we go with your idea, I can only see so many places we can take it which really won't lead to creative issues in the coming rounds. Remember, this is the theme for the WHOLE park we're deciding right now, we want to make sure we have options going forward.

A futuristic city/base/ship would make an excellent LAND, and I'm with you on that, but it wouldn't be a great basis for the PARK as a whole. We could easily incorporate that into a Star Wars park later down the line, as well as Outbound's space western ideas, and anything else we come up with.

I don't want to be the bad guy here, but that post required a response. Outbound, Nigel, and I have all responded well to Star Wars, so I'd like to hear @DashHaber and @AceAstro thoughts as well. I get your concerns and critiques, but I have my own of yours.

Let's see how the rest of the team responds rather than having a ****ing match between you and I on our ideas we don't even know two peoples' thoughts on. No point of arguing our two ideas if everyone else wants something else.

Also, for the record, I've seen Horizons, so I definitely didn't appreciate that condescending tone. That or the last line.
And here’s the thing: I am no Star Wars nut. I even agree with Micnerd about the overexposure of the franchise....BUT it seems like the most cohesive theme we’ve got and an opportunity for stories outside the typical “Skywalker Saga”. The idea of doing attractions around galactic gunslingers and bounty hunters is appealing. I think, done properly, this can be way more than just “the Star Wars park”

mickeyfan5534

Original Poster
Additionally, you don't know who's going to be eliminated when. If not everyone is happy with the park's theme, then that's going to be a problem down the road. You have some really interesting ideas that the entire team seemed to like that could be fleshed out further. I just wanted to throw out some food for thought. Again: you will be creating this land-by-land. You're only making your entrance land this week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom