1986 - The House of the Future: Week 9

PerGron

image.jpg

this is by no means a final map because it’s too tall with too much empty space, but this was kind of what I was envisioning. A sweeping arctic base where they’re studying the environment and wildlife of the arctic while also researching the history of arctic treks around the world. Ideally, my animal trail would be closer to the water in order to use part of the lake or house belugas, but this is just a concept map.

I’ll make an official one once things are more concrete

AceAstro

View attachment 513410
this is by no means a final map because it’s too tall with too much empty space, but this was kind of what I was envisioning. A sweeping arctic base where they’re studying the environment and wildlife of the arctic while also researching the history of arctic treks around the world. Ideally, my animal trail would be closer to the water in order to use part of the lake or house belugas, but this is just a concept map.

I’ll make an official one once things are more concrete
I think this is a great layout!!

PerGron

Can someone please explain the Sea Enclosure? Would that count as entertainment or just a place where guests can look at seals?
Nah it’s just a seal enclosure haha. There’ll be some seals people can look at. When I redo the map, it’ll be the entrance to the arctic animal research institute, but for now it’s just a space filler so my map didn’t look empty

Outbound

I worry we may be overdoing it with the animal enclosures. This is supposed to be the opening land to our Lost World park, the first land they see. But right now it feels more like, no offense, a snow-themed zoo. I think there should be more of a focus on shops and dining, like Harbortown or Main Street USA, rather than the animals. Make it a majestic and tranquil icy landscape with not a sign of life in sight... the edge of the known and unknown. Animals can still be present, but maybe limit them to a walking trail at the back of the land rather than the main thoroughfare.

Also, seals smell

AceAstro

I worry we may be overdoing it with the animal enclosures. This is supposed to be the opening land where all guests entering the park pass-through. But right now it feels more like, no offense, a snow-themed zoo. I think there should be more of a focus on shops and dining, like Harbortown or Main Street USA, rather than the animals. The animals could still be present, but maybe limit them to a walking trail on the edge of the land rather than the main thoroughfare.

Also, seals smell
To be fair, Animal Kingdom has a ton of animal encounters in its entrance area. And we want our entrance to be less like Main Street/ Harbortown since it is not a castle park. But I also understand your concerns!

Outbound

To be fair, Animal Kingdom has a ton of animal encounters in its entrance area. And we want our entrance to be less like Main Street/ Harbortown since it is not a castle park. But I also understand your concerns!
Yes, but I thought we were doing a Lost Worlds park? This feels too much an Arctic Land for Animal Kingdom when most of our lands probably won’t include live animals (rather, we’d need to make animatronics for the fantasy animals).

Again I’m down for including animals, but with this + the wildlife focus of the attraction I worry it may take over our land.

PerGron

I worry we may be overdoing it with the animal enclosures. This is supposed to be the opening land to our Lost World park, the first land they see. But right now it feels more like, no offense, a snow-themed zoo. I think there should be more of a focus on shops and dining, like Harbortown or Main Street USA, rather than the animals. Make it a majestic and tranquil icy landscape with not a sign of life in sight... the edge of the known and unknown. Animals can still be present, but maybe limit them to a walking trail at the back of the land rather than the main thoroughfare.

Also, seals smell
Again, I drew it there as a space filler, it won’t really be in that space, I just wanted to get a drawing out and didn’t know what else to put in there.

I’ve selected 3 or 4 different animal enclosures that’ll be together in a singular area as some extra flavor, they won’t be right in the center of the land. It’s like the Living Seas more than Animal Kingdom, it won’t really be the focus and really just ties into the theme of an arctic research station. That being said, I can cut animals if we really don’t want them there, it was just an idea to boost our land.

The seal enclosure was just a really big space in the middle of the land because the paper I drew on was bigger than the paper I’m used to drawing on haha. It could be a playground, green (or ice) space, more buildings, or whatever. Map is 100% not final and up for discussion

Outbound

@PerGron , given your zookeeping background I completely understand why you would give the animals such an emphasis on the land map. I think we should include them, because as Ace said they will help set the land apart from Harbortown, but I also think we should find a balance between animal exhibits and more shopping and dining.

DashHaber

Yes, but I thought we were doing a Lost Worlds park? This feels too much an Arctic Land for Animal Kingdom when most of our lands probably won’t include live animals (rather, we’d need to make animatronics for the fantasy animals).

Again I’m down for including animals, but with this + the wildlife focus of the attraction I worry it may take over our land.
Honestly, I kinda agree. Considering the "Lost Worlds" theme, I was imagining this entry land as being like a rough arctic realm where there are research stations set up. A bit more desolate, in its feel.

PerGron

In the end, it’ll just end up being belugas, polar bears, and walrus and maybe puffins. Things that researchers in the arctic do study, especially in relation to the environment. Scratch that seal area and we can repurpose it to something else easily.

On a different note, let’s talk dining. Seafood is obviously the most common in arctic cultures as that’s really all that’s present, but I worry we have too many seafood restaurants in the property already.

DashHaber

In the end, it’ll just end up being belugas, polar bears, and walrus and maybe puffins. Things that researchers in the arctic do study, especially in relation to the environment. Scratch that seal area and we can repurpose it to something else easily.

On a different note, let’s talk dining. Seafood is obviously the most common in arctic cultures as that’s really all that’s present, but I worry we have too many seafood restaurants in the property already.
I'm still thinking out the Table Service idea, but I have to admit I wasn't thinking as much about seafood. I was thinking along the ideas of meats and meals for international dishes, like these are some supplies shipped in from scientific groups around the globe.

Outbound

Besides the more international TS, how about a snack stand (or possibly even QS) that sells packaged trail mix and other foods those on an arctic expedition would eat on the go?

Outbound

I’m all for Puffin animatronics atop tents and such but I also think that this land should be more focused on the mystical aspect and maybe some Steampunk influence as well.
I would stay clear of Steampunk because of DISNEYSKY but I agree that a more mystical and explorative tone would help set this apart from your everyday Arctic adventure. This park is all about the Lost Worlds, so we really want to tie in some feeling of fantasy.

I'm thinking the boat ride could be an expedition through an unexplored glacier among the northernmost points of the world. At the end of our journey, we discover an isolated population of Wooly Mammoths living there, undisturbed for millennia in their own pocket ecosystem.

PerGron

I’m all for Puffin animatronics atop tents and such but I also think that this land should be more focused on the mystical aspect and maybe some Steampunk influence as well.
I feel like I'd avoid steampunk at all costs, not just because of DisneySky, but also it's such an overused motif in armchair imagineering. Every land having to do with sci-fi/futuristic/research, etc. always has some steampunk elements.

There are some really neat things we could do with the arctic motif without resorting to steampunk. I'll post some images in a few once I'm on my computer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom