1986 - The House of the Future: Week 2

AceAstro

Alright, so I’ve reworked my proposal, just because I really really don’t like two separate disjointed lands, so I’m gonna do my best to not go that route haha.

So I’m much more of a story guy than I am land design, so I’ve taken a bit of @D Hindley and @Outbound concepts and combined them into a general story. I agree, multiple biomes may be a bit much, but I still think having one United land is crucial.

So our story would feature some Arabic merchants sailing to India (or vice versa we could have som Tamil merchants sailing to Arabia) who get marooned on a mysterious island. This island has a bank of fog around it or something that prevents sailors from discovering and charting it. The wildlife here would be incredibly unique, as would the biomes. Rather than multiple disjointed biomes, it would be biomes found on islands within the Indian Ocean. I took a lot of inspiration from Madagascar, having forests of giant trees while huge rock pillars jut out around it.

We could have a population of Maori settlers who already settled the island, bringing some Polynesian influence. They took in our marooned merchants and taught them about the land. About how it was like nowhere else on Earth. The trees grow upside down (they could be like Madagascan Baobab trees) and how the caves underground are rich in jewels and riches. Of course, our merchants want to start harvesting it all, but the settlers say that we are only to take what we need or else the island “punishes you”. That means cut down trees only for shelter and boats, harvest rocks only for building and hunting, kill only what you need.

Over time, more and more people would settle the island and (taking influence from Jules Verne with maybe a bit of a steampunk style) ships and machinery comes to the island. Despite the Settlers warnings, they tear apart the island, harvesting its resources, so the island has punished them. It traps them in time, allowing no technology to develop. Soon, people begin to leave, so when we find it, it is a mostly abandoned village with some people remaining.

We would find the village with old abandoned mining vehicles, marooned steamships, etc. The few people that remain have turned the island into a tourist stop, giving tours of the mysterious jungles and biome of the island, while merchants set up shop, etc. etc.

This concept is a bit different than my first, but it would also keep my story in tact, work in Outbound’s mysterious jungle ideas, and also get to play in a biome that aren’t straightforward jungle/desert while all being unified.

it’d work like Pandora where you don’t need the whole story to grasp what’s going on, but the story will be rich and nuanced for those looking for it.

If this fails, I’ll lay off, but I really don’t want the jungle and desert different lands haha
I really like this idea!!

NateD1226

Alright, so I’ve reworked my proposal, just because I really really don’t like two separate disjointed lands, so I’m gonna do my best to not go that route haha.

So I’m much more of a story guy than I am land design, so I’ve taken a bit of @D Hindley and @Outbound concepts and combined them into a general story. I agree, multiple biomes may be a bit much, but I still think having one United land is crucial.

So our story would feature some Arabic merchants sailing to India (or vice versa we could have som Tamil merchants sailing to Arabia) who get marooned on a mysterious island. This island has a bank of fog around it or something that prevents sailors from discovering and charting it. The wildlife here would be incredibly unique, as would the biomes. Rather than multiple disjointed biomes, it would be biomes found on islands within the Indian Ocean. I took a lot of inspiration from Madagascar, having forests of giant trees while huge rock pillars jut out around it.

We could have a population of Maori settlers who already settled the island, bringing some Polynesian influence. They took in our marooned merchants and taught them about the land. About how it was like nowhere else on Earth. The trees grow upside down (they could be like Madagascan Baobab trees) and how the caves underground are rich in jewels and riches. Of course, our merchants want to start harvesting it all, but the settlers say that we are only to take what we need or else the island “punishes you”. That means cut down trees only for shelter and boats, harvest rocks only for building and hunting, kill only what you need.

Over time, more and more people would settle the island and (taking influence from Jules Verne with maybe a bit of a steampunk style) ships and machinery comes to the island. Despite the Settlers warnings, they tear apart the island, harvesting its resources, so the island has punished them. It traps them in time, allowing no technology to develop. Soon, people begin to leave, so when we find it, it is a mostly abandoned village with some people remaining.

We would find the village with old abandoned mining vehicles, marooned steamships, etc. The few people that remain have turned the island into a tourist stop, giving tours of the mysterious jungles and biome of the island, while merchants set up shop, etc. etc.

This concept is a bit different than my first, but it would also keep my story in tact, work in Outbound’s mysterious jungle ideas, and also get to play in a biome that aren’t straightforward jungle/desert while all being unified.

it’d work like Pandora where you don’t need the whole story to grasp what’s going on, but the story will be rich and nuanced for those looking for it.

If this fails, I’ll lay off, but I really don’t want the jungle and desert different lands haha
Yes!! This pleases everyone!

D Hulk

I’m-a go defend @PerGronStudio ‘s idea. I think this is a common Armchair Imagineering misconception that backstories must be understood in their totality to enjoy a land...a problem which IP lands exacerbate.

But I see his island working like Paris’ Frontierland. There can be rides which instantly make 100% sense on their own, because they’ll be simple & universal ideas similar to “Pirates” or “Ghosts.” Repeat guests then start to notice the backstory connections, like how Phantom Manor ties into tragedy at Big Thunder. Or like how S.E.A. spans the parks, but nobody needs to know that to enjoy the simplicity of Mystic Manor.

The more complex story is there to help make our designs more specific and interesting. Because “Madagascar type island with baobab trees” is much better than “jungle island.”

goofyyukyuk

I know this is going to make me come across super contrarian, and I promise that’s not my intent, but this is basically Pandora right 🤣? I like the idea better if it’s like right as the people got marooned on the island, where you can start seeing signs but it isn’t so obvious like Pandora and can highlight the community on the island. I could see this working really well even without backstory knowledge though!
I’m-a go defend @PerGronStudio ‘s idea. I think this is a common Armchair Imagineering misconception that backstories must be understood in their totality to enjoy a land...a problem which IP lands exacerbate.

But I see his island working like Paris’ Frontierland. There can be rides which instantly make 100% sense on their own, because they’ll be simple & universal ideas similar to “Pirates” or “Ghosts.” Repeat guests then start to notice the backstory connections, like how Phantom Manor ties into tragedy at Big Thunder. Or like how S.E.A. spans the parks, but nobody needs to know that to enjoy the simplicity of Mystic Manor.

The more complex story is there to help make our designs more specific and interesting. Because “Madagascar type island with baobab trees” is much better than “jungle island.”
I agree that in most cases, the backstory doesn’t need to be totally understood, but there are some cases, like the original idea, where the land as a whole doesn’t make sense without knowledge of a backstory. That doesn’t make it a bad idea, but having the deep, complicated backstory extrapolated over an entire park rather than the confines of a land makes more sense. The juncture of several different biomes at a central community would be very confusing without knowledge of a backstory explaining how/why it’s possible

Orange Cat

I don’t think it’s possible for me to be convinced to not go with the idea after this so I‘m with @PerGronStudio ’s idea.

Chaos Cat

> Analyzing all possible options...
> Analyzing...
> Analyzing...
> Analysis complete. Conclusion: @PerGronStudio's idea is the best option.

> In addition, Unit would like to apologize for not contribute to the initial brainstorming.
> Explanation: Unit was the only one available to do the housework around the House of the Future, resulting in Unit have to do the workload of all other participants.
> Set currentMood = Bitter

(Seriously, though, my sister came over for the weekend because of her birthday, so I didn't have time to contribute to the conversation. Sorry! 😔)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I support @PerGronStudio's idea as a good compromise and direction. A mysterious island, possibly with mystical creatures and curses hidden in the fog. A theme that encourages us to step away from IP almost entirely. No Volcano or huge desert (which I feel have both been done a lot).

Most importantly, this isn't 17 sublands which is the trap adventurelands tend to fall into with Armchair Imagineering. This could be a smaller, more cohesive land. With an interesting Thunder Mesa style story of explorers taking getting greedy, taking too much, and facing the consequences.

I agree with @goofyyukyukyuk17 that this should be not long after the explorers arrive instead of later on. That way it isn't too similar to Pandora.

That also lends well to a 3 Act structure with 3 attractions.

• Act 1 - Temptation - Perhaps a Boat ride or submarine ride themed to sirens? A PotC type experience underwater as we get lured in with promises of treasure.
  • Act 2 - Greed - Perhaps some show or flat ride where the explorers are celebrating with their excess that they've found! Everything seems happy here, but there is a clear subtext that the bubble is about to pop. Like a 1920s Gatsby Gala months before the markets collapse the gunshots ring out.
  • Act 3 - Consequences - E-Ticket thrill ride where the island takes revenge. Perhaps an EMV or Coaster. Trees come to life. Big Creature atttack. Stuff like that.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
> Analyzing all possible options...
> Analyzing...
> Analyzing...
> Analysis complete. Conclusion: @PerGronStudio's idea is the best option.

> In addition, Unit would like to apologize for not contribute to the initial brainstorming.
> Explanation: Unit was the only one available to do the housework around the House of the Future, resulting in Unit have to do the workload of all other participants.
> Set currentMood = Contempt

(Seriously, though, my sister came over for the weekend because of her birthday, so I didn't have time to contribute to the conversation. Sorry! 😔)
No need to apologize! Brainstorming doesn't usually go this fast haha. 14 players is a big group

DashHaber

I support @PerGronStudio's idea as a good compromise and direction. A mysterious island, possibly with mystical creatures and curses hidden in the fog. A theme that encourages us to step away from IP almost entirely. No Volcano or huge desert (which I feel have both been done a lot).

Most importantly, this isn't 17 sublands which is the trap adventurelands tend to fall into with Armchair Imagineering. This could be a smaller, more cohesive land. With an interesting Thunder Mesa style story of explorers taking getting greedy, taking too much, and facing the consequences.

I agree with @goofyyukyukyuk17 that this should be not long after the explorers arrive instead of later on. That way it isn't too similar to Pandora.

• Act 1 - Temptation - Perhaps a Boat ride or submarine ride themed to sirens? A PotC type experience underwater as we get lured in with promises of treasure.
  • Act 2 - Greed - Perhaps some show or flat ride where the explorers are celebrating with their excess that they've found! Everything seems happy here, but there is a clear subtext that the bubble is about to pop. Like a 1920s Gatsby Gala months before the markets collapse the gunshots ring out.
  • Act 3 - Consequences - E-Ticket thrill ride where the island takes revenge. Perhaps an EMV or Coaster. Trees come to life. Big Creature atttack. Stuff like that.
Yes! Awesome ideas!

goofyyukyuk

I support @PerGronStudio ’s idea with this interpretation/modification especially

PerGron

I like these amendments. Makes more sense, I kind of just tacked the time period on at the end to get my idea out before everyone voted something else haha, it was a panic writeup.

Also, I don't want anyone to think I was forcing this idea down anyone's throats, that wasn't my intent at all, I was just stewing on this idea since before we finished Harbortown and I was really excited to present it and also (admittedly) kind of married to it already as the lull in action during the Veto projects and being out of work had me dwelling quite a bit. So yeah, please don't think I was being too stubborn or throwing a tantrum or anything as that wasn't my intent at all, I would've gone along with whatever we decided, I just kind of liked the island story idea haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom