1986 - The House of the Future: Week 2

NigelChanning

I hate to be the “IP guy” because there’s so much to love about original stories but there are so many amazing stories that fit the bill for an attraction about greed or temptation. Maybe the Jungle Cruise can be Polynesian themed and about Moana. Maui stole the heart of Tafiti (it’s probably not spelled right) and the ride could be a continuation of the story. Led by a skipper as you witness the rest of the islands being restored!

spacemt354

Chili's
Just want to pass a few comments - the brainstorming so far is fantastic and given the progress so far I don't want to step on any toes and moreover I also think PerGron's solution is the best way to go anyway out of the options listed

However, the project's been live for a few hours and we have 14 people - do we really need to rush this to Wednesday night?

I don't want to be a negative nancy but I feel the quality of work on this land will be vastly decreased compared to Harbortown/Port Voyage with the short window of work opportunity.

And to me I care about this park just as much as anything - the park will be a main component of what the season is remembered for and I'd rather do it right. Figured I'd ask now because then we can settle down tonight and really brainstorm without feeling rushed.

NateD1226

So I kind of just snuck it in a reply, so I wanted to throw this idea out there. What if each ride had us be active participants on the island, like we are stranded there too. Each ride could have us "working" for whatever the crew is doing, and the dining and shopping could be similar in that we are eating at a place built as a community kitchen. A big quick service restaurant with food that could be feasibly cooked by marooned people setting up a civilization. Obviously we wouldn't actually have to work, but it'd be a unique feel rather than "we're tourists looking at something" and instead have us be actively involved, making the messages in each ride far more relevant as we feel more like we are actually a part of it. Also adds to the nuance and more mature theme we've discussed
This is great idea but a little risky IMO. The only reason I say this is because Galaxy’s Edge does a similar thing and it doesn’t work me and I know people who don’t like that whole interactive type thing. If we do it, I don’t think we should push it like SW:GE does and just subtly plant the idea in the land.

PerGron

I hate to be the “IP guy” because there’s so much to love about original stories but there are so many amazing stories that fit the bill for an attraction about greed or temptation. Maybe the Jungle Cruise can be Polynesian themed and about Moana. Maui stole the heart of Tafiti (it’s probably not spelled right) and the ride could be a continuation of the story. Led by a skipper as you witness the rest of the islands being restored!
I totally get the love for IP, but I don't feel it really fits the theme we're going for. There will 100% be opportunities for IP attractions, especially once we do a Fantasyland, which I'm sure we'll have fun criteria to touch on once we get there. For this though, I don't think IP would fit very well

AceAstro

Just want to pass a few comments - the brainstorming so far is fantastic and given the progress so far I don't want to step on any toes and moreover I also think PerGron's solution is the best way to go anyway out of the options listed

However, the project's been live for a few hours and we have 14 people - do we really need to rush this to Wednesday night?

I don't want to be a negative nancy but I feel the quality of work on this land will be vastly decreased compared to Harbortown/Port Voyage with the short window of work opportunity.

And to me I care about this park just as much as anything - the park will be a main component of what the season is remembered for and I'd rather do it right. Figured I'd ask now because then we can settle down tonight and really brainstorm without feeling rushed.
Space definitely has a point. I know we are stressed about deadlines but we don’t have to have everything decided right this second as there could be something obvious we are missing that we would not have missed had we still decided attractions into the morning/ afternoon

DashHaber

Good point. At the very least, I'll see if a good night's rest helps spark some more ideas about that Jungle Cruise spiritual successor. I like the initial thoughts we've got on it.

NigelChanning

I totally get the love for IP, but I don't feel it really fits the theme we're going for. There will 100% be opportunities for IP attractions, especially once we do a Fantasyland, which I'm sure we'll have fun criteria to touch on once we get there. For this though, I don't think IP would fit very well
Yeah, those were really the only two I had. Obviously, IPs just pop into your head a little easier than an original story. But, I agree that it’s probably better to go with original!

PerGron

This is great idea but a little risky IMO. The only reason I say this is because Galaxy’s Edge does a similar thing and it doesn’t work me and I know people who don’t like that whole interactive type thing. If we do it, I don’t think we should push it like SW:GE does and just subtly plant the idea in the land.
Yeah, I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge (yet), but I think this would be more of a theme going into it. Each ride you'd take an active part in, but not really in an "interactive" way. Like the Jungle Cruise successor idea I had, you're there to help transport cargo down the river. It's less of a game like Smuggler's Run and instead it's just a story device to get guests more involved in the island

spacemt354

Chili's
Space definitely has a point. I know we are stressed about deadlines but we don’t have to have everything decided right this second as there could be something obvious we are missing that we would not have missed had we still decided attractions into the morning/ afternoon
Been doing this long enough...sometimes a good idea clicks the next day or even the day after so we should all be afforded that quality time to sleep on it and causally weight the pros/cons.

We might still not come to a consensus but at least we'll have talked it out and go with what we feel fits best.

spacemt354

Chili's
Okay old man. Jkjk I totally agree this feels rushed and we should sit on it for a bit
OrangeWholeGourami-size_restricted.gif

PerGron

Been doing this long enough...sometimes a good idea clicks the next day or even the day after so we should all be afforded that quality time to sleep on it and causally weight the pros/cons.

We might still not come to a consensus but at least we'll have talked it out and go with what we feel fits best.
I agree, but with the deadline we've been given, I also fear that if we wait too long, then we lose quality. Right now, it's the debate of, do we sit on it and come up with better ideas for risk of losing quality, or do we take what we have and make that work on making them incredibly good at risk of some people not loving the ideas.

I don't really know which side to stand on and I feel like we've all been dealt a hand that puts us at odds with each other more than we already were (strategic gamebuilding on the hosts' side maybe?) and I do want everyone to agree, but I also feel like we need to expedite the brainstorming process to allow more time for the creativity in the building the land portion.

If the gods above were to extend us by a day or two I'd definitely eat my words though...

spacemt354

Chili's
I agree, but with the deadline we've been given, I also fear that if we wait too long, then we lose quality. Right now, it's the debate of, do we sit on it and come up with better ideas for risk of losing quality, or do we take what we have and make that work on making them incredibly good at risk of some people not loving the ideas.

I don't really know which side to stand on and I feel like we've all been dealt a hand that puts us at odds with each other more than we already were (strategic gamebuilding on the hosts' side maybe?) and I do want everyone to agree, but I also feel like we need to expedite the brainstorming process to allow more time for the creativity in the building the land portion.

If the gods above were to extend us by a day or two I'd definitely eat my words though...
I say we just say @mickeyfan5534 and @TheOriginalTiki a deadline of Friday at 11:59 pm EST would be more than fair for us to brainstorm and work effectively without feeling rushed.

The Wednesday deadline makes us feel like we have to decide tonight...which is fine, but just understand I wouldn't expect the quality of the previous round given the timeframe.

If we want to just push forward, I'll do my part and I'm sure others will as well - I just think there is no reason to be this rushed.

Outbound

A pitch for the general land direction...

A very, very, very weird and unique combination of this, this, and this:

1601261142427.png

sailing-ship-fantasy-city-sea-fantasy-art-wallpaper-preview.jpg

1601261106963.png

This might seem crazy at first glance. I will explain my reasoning for each "theme" below.

First off, we've already established the natural environment will be unlike any Adventureland seen before. It will be inspired by the unique flora of Madagascar, with tall baobab trees and the like. This will set the land apart from anything else. There will also be a great misty fog surrounding the island.

Second... I suggest instead of the "settlements" being European, I suggest this settlement be done by the Ottoman Empire. In the backstory @PerGronStudio mentioned it was Arabic traders who actually made the journey in the first place. This makes the land even more visually distinct, and ties to the backstory. We have Islamic / Arabic / Turkish architecture, building up into a forced perspective of a Grand Palace at the center of the settlement.

But that's not all, the town would also have a distinct "steampunk" vibe. There wouldn't be any airships or the like, but it would clearly be approaching modernity with hastily constructed pipes around the buildings and steamships docking in port.

All in all, this would make for one of the most visually distinct lands seen in a Disney park... ever.

TheOriginalTiki

I'm going to meet in the middle here. The one thing you guys have to remember is that there's 14 of you so if you divide and conquer stuff can get done really fast. This game is all about essentially being on a "merged team" from the start. So yes, in that regard the timeframe is absolutely designed to put a bit of pressure on everyone. With that in mind, I'll go ahead and extend the deadline to Thursday, October 1st at 11:59PM Eastern.

tenor.gif

DashHaber

Okay, one more quick thought for my Jungle Cruise spiritual successor idea before I turn in for the night.

As a potential name, maybe we can call it Taonga River Journey. There was a mention of earlier Maori settlers for the island in that backstory, and taonga is a Maori word meaning treasure. It could be a play on words, how they named the river for its beauty in nature, but now there is all this greed trying to take it away.

PerGron

A pitch for the general land direction...

A very, very, very weird and unique combination of this, this, and this:

View attachment 501233
sailing-ship-fantasy-city-sea-fantasy-art-wallpaper-preview.jpg

View attachment 501232

This might seem crazy at first glance. I will explain my reasoning for each "theme" below.

First off, we've already established the natural environment will be unlike any Adventureland seen before. It will be inspired by the unique flora of Madagascar, with tall baobab trees and the like. This will set the land apart from anything else. There will also be a great misty fog surrounding the island.

Second... I suggest instead of the "settlements" being European, I suggest this settlement be done by the Ottoman Empire. In the backstory @PerGronStudio mentioned it was Arabic traders who actually made the journey in the first place. This makes the land even more visually distinct, and ties to the backstory. We have Islamic / Arabic / Turkish architecture, building up into a forced perspective of a Grand Palace at the center of the settlement.

But that's not all, the town would also have a distinct "steampunk" vibe. There wouldn't be any airships or the like, but it would clearly be approaching modernity with hastily constructed pipes around the buildings and steamships docking in port.

All in all, this would make for one of the most visually distinct lands seen in a Disney park... ever.
I love this. We could use the palace as a setting for the E-ticket, beginning as a tour through the palace before the island begins to exact its revenge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom