1902 Carthay Circle

Chaos Cat

Of course you wouldn't know what b'rer is, since you're an anti-furry. :p
Viktor.jpg

@ThemeParkPriest, is this true?

ThemeParkPriest

I know we were discussing this on/off for a while, but now that SA7 has wrapped up and there's no competition planned for another month: who wants to help design a Blue Sky Universal Studios?

View attachment 553849

I’m guessing that this would be very unpopular but remove/re-purpose all of the Harry Potter areas (to what? we can discuss). Oh and bring the indoor Space Fantasy coaster to the US. It could take the place of Fear Factor.

Orange Cat

I know we were discussing this on/off for a while, but now that SA7 has wrapped up and there's no competition planned for another month: who wants to help design a Blue Sky Universal Studios?

View attachment 553849
Sure!
I’m guessing that this would be very unpopular but remove/re-purpose all of the Harry Potter areas (to what? we can discuss). Oh and bring the indoor Space Fantasy coaster to the US. It could take the place of Fear Factor.
I wanna do an original park but I agree to not have any harry Potter taking up space

DashHaber

Same! And from what I hear Wizarding World is like the best part of the Universal parks, so I don’t see why everybody’s rushing to demolish it. 🤣
I wouldn't necessarily discount it, but I could see starting from the ground up, making some new lands, and seeing if Harry Potter would fit.

It may be one of the best executed parts of a Universal Studios park right now, but I'd rather set sights on totally revamping and creating a good Universal Studios park without having to cling to that piece.

Outbound

I have a controversial opinion

Harry Potter land should be bigger. It's cool they have Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, but what about the castle? I think instead of the queue for a major e-ticket, exploring the castle should have been the main draw. Dine in the Great Hall, attend classes (animatronic shows), and open secret passageways with your wand. I'd happily sacrifice Hogsmeade and Diagon for that.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I have a controversial opinion

Harry Potter land should be bigger. It's cool they have Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, but what about the castle? I think instead of the queue for a major e-ticket, exploring the castle should have been the main draw. Dine in the Great Hall, attend classes (animatronic shows), and open secret passageways with your wand. I'd happily sacrifice Hogsmeade and Diagon for that.
I would like a place for my fellow Hufflepuffs to gather and share snacks and discuss our feelings.

Outbound

#RavenclawsRepresent

...But seriously, as cool as the Wizarding World of Harry Potter stuff is, that might be more on the backburner for me. There are plenty of other possibilities we could explore for this park.
That's fair.

Dash, I loved your posts on your Imagineering Toybox. I think they're the perfect starting points for our new park. Quoting them over for everyone to read:

So, yesterday's chatter about Universal did get me thinking a little about the subject of lands. Universal doesn't exactly have a core set of lands to it like the Disney castle parks, so in a way there is a bit more variety to exactly what sorts of lands you could put in. Well, I've done a little thinking on the topic and I have a few stray thoughts:
  • I like USF's approach of starting off with Production Central, but I feel like you could lean more into the "behind the scenes" idea with it. So, I could see the Hollywood Backlot. Much like how Main Street USA works as a slightly more grounded space before stepping into the grand fantasies throughout a Disney castle park, this would have the look of a bustling studio backlot, serving as a good transition space before guests enter the world of the movies.
  • Horror has always been a part of Universal's legacy, so I'd love to see something embracing that legacy. While Universal definitely has plenty of horror classics over the years (The Thing and Jaws leaps to mind, along with some of the more notable Blumhouse films), probably the most accessible IP to use for land theming would be the classic Universal Monsters, perhaps calling this Gothic landscape the Monster Hills.
  • For a more kid-friendly area, Universal has some solid options. Illumination is quickly recognizable thanks to Despicable Me, but DreamWorks Animation offers a ton of options (from movies to TV shows to even the old Jay Ward cartoons). Personally, I'd lean more general and go with an animation-devoted land known as Cartooniversal.
Some more musings on Universal Studios lands:
  • Of the lands that have been at previous Universal Studios parks, I feel like New York is a good choice to use. It works as a good general setting for more action-oriented stuff, and there have been plenty of memorable movies of TV shows set in New York City you could use. Plus, NBC has had plenty of shows set in New York that could offer ample inspiration for restaurants or shops, like Central Perk from Friends or Monk's Café from Seinfeld.
  • I could see taking some of the initial broad strokes of World Expo and heightening it into a Sci-Fi Expo. Universal has had plenty of classic science fiction movies of their own along with IP they've licensed for use in the parks, so sci-fi is always a solid theme to use.
  • Now, Universal has been throwing in some curve balls recently with more immersive single IP lands. While it is awesome to finally see Nintendo content in a theme park, for instance, I admit I might prefer just movie and TV stuff for the core Universal park to keep it thematically linked. Still cool to see, but just my opinion.

I wonder if we could go with a more Magic Kingdom "hub and spoke" formula for this Studios park, with traditional lands split by genre and setting, rather than the usual approach of copy-pasting the worlds from IPs into reality.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
#RavenclawsRepresent

...But seriously, as cool as the Wizarding World of Harry Potter stuff is, that might be more on the backburner for me. There are plenty of other possibilities we could explore for this park.
Not trying to interject too much here because I think I’m gonna leave this to the five or six of you who have already been actively brainstorming. But I would agree with Dash on this because Potter is actually the one area of Universal that works really well. It’s all of the rest of everything that needs to be totally redone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom