1902 Carthay Circle

JokersWild

Very good point. One Piece would offer some incredible visuals.

If we go with the general anime showcase, I could still see this as a possibility. However, if we made this section devoted to Shonen Jump (in a more realistic take), then One Piece would definitely have to be there.
Now all we need is a Don Patch store and the park will be complete.

I think Shonen Jump is a good angle to take. They’re definitely some of the most accessible anime.

Outbound

Love all the ideas so far. I tried matching up most of the land ideas we've been discussing to Magic Kingdom's model. Note I'm not suggesting we use their exact hub and spoke approach but rather use their design philosophy of each land representing a distinct "world" of adventure, with a completely different atmosphere to the one before it.

Here's what I got (created a few extras to fill it perfectly, we can definitely cut some of the lands out if we choose to):
  • Main Street U.S.A. = Golden Age Hollywood
  • Adventureland = Jurassic Park
  • Frontierland = Spaghetti Junction
  • Liberty Square = New York Harbour
  • Fantasyland = Cartooniversal
  • Galaxy's Edge = Wizarding World
  • Storybook Circus = Monster Hills
  • Tomorrowland = Animetropolis
Any other essentials to include? I'm a bit divided on Jurassic Park and Wizarding World - on one hand, I think it'd be a crime not to include them in a Universal park, but on the other, they don't really work in a land where they have to share with lesser-known IPs.

DashHaber

Now all we need is a Don Patch store and the park will be complete.

I think Shonen Jump is a good angle to take. They’re definitely some of the most accessible anime.
Shonen Jump would make for a good united thread for the land, given all of the franchises would come from the same publisher. They have also definitely been a major gateway for anime among Western audiences. I still like the idea of a more general land that could offer a variety of IPs like Lupin III, Sailor Moon, and Ghost in the Shell and really spotlight the diversity in anime, but it is also one that might be seen as more "Blue Sky".

DashHaber

Love all the ideas so far. I tried matching up most of the land ideas we've been discussing to Magic Kingdom's model. Note I'm not suggesting we use their exact hub and spoke approach but rather use their design philosophy of each land representing a distinct "world" of adventure, with a completely different atmosphere to the one before it.

Here's what I got (created a few extras to fill it perfectly, we can definitely cut some of the lands out if we choose to):
  • Main Street U.S.A. = Golden Age Hollywood
  • Adventureland = Jurassic Park
  • Frontierland = Spaghetti Junction
  • Liberty Square = New York Harbour
  • Fantasyland = Cartooniversal
  • Galaxy's Edge = Wizarding World
  • Storybook Circus = Monster Hills
  • Tomorrowland = Animetropolis
Any other essentials to include? I'm a bit divided on Jurassic Park and Wizarding World - on one hand, I think it'd be a crime not to include them in a Universal park, but on the other, they don't really work in a land where they have to share with lesser-known IPs.
Nice development here!

I could see keeping Jurassic Park. It's one of the few single IP lands that I can see keeping, given it actually is a Universal IP and offers some opportunities to play within that setting. I suppose the only question there is whether to stick with "Park" or go with "World". Wizarding World I'm a little less attached too, personally, given that one has more a matter of deciding what Harry Potter stuff you want to do with it while Jurassic Park is a much more clear-cut setting. Of course, either of them would stick out like a sore thumb given that they'd be single IP lands in a park where the other lands have a variety of IPs, so therein lies the rub.

I feel like you've got most of the essentials there. I'm having trouble trying to think of what else would be a major genre or setting to showcase.

DashHaber

I know Universal doesn’t have the theme park rights but this is a blue sky park so may I suggest a Cartoon Network land, or maybe a more general Modern (& or American) animation area
Cartooniversal could help to cover some of that. When I had mentioned the idea for that land, I was thinking that it'd have a focus on animated properties from under the NBCUniversal umbrella, which includes Illumination and DreamWorks. When it comes to DreamWorks, there are more than just the movies. They've got their current TV shows (such as the most recent She-Ra and Voltron shows, along with Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts) and the content through DreamWorks Classics (which includes the old Jay Ward cartoons like The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, the pre-1974 Rankin/Bass Productions content, and the Harvey Comics characters like Casper the Friendly Ghost and Richie Rich, to give some examples).

Last edited:

DashHaber

In terms of Cartooniversal, some of the potential IPs (pulling up a broad selection from Illumination, the different branches of DreamWorks, and Universal Animation Studios) we could dabble with there include:
  • Despicable Me
  • Secret Life of Pets
  • Sing
  • Shrek
  • Kung Fu Panda
  • Madagascar
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Trolls
  • The Road to El Dorado
  • Voltron: Legendary Defender
  • She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
  • Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
  • The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
  • Dudley Do-Right
  • Mr. Peabody and Sherman
  • Where's Waldo?
  • Felix the Cat
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rankin/Bass special)
  • Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Rankin/Bass special)
  • Casper the Friendly Ghost
  • Curious George
  • An American Tail
  • Woody Woodpecker
  • The Land Before Time

DashHaber

So, I had mentioned before the idea of Monster Hills as a way to get in a celebration of horror, considering how much the genre is part of Universal's legacy. That does make for a fine tightrope to walk, though, in terms of a year-round area in a theme park. It does help that Universal has always skewed older for the parks so that does give a bit more freedom in what you can do, but I'd still stay away from super gory stuff. Leave the major blood and guts for Halloween Horror Nights. Thus, I feel like the Universal Classic Monsters makes for a good pool of IPs to help us balance this fine line as the main basis for the land. For those unfamiliar, some of the bigger-name films in this collection include:
  • Dracula (1931)
  • Frankenstein (1931)
  • The Wolf Man (1941)
  • Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
  • The Invisible Man (1933)
  • The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
  • The Mummy (1932)
Also, there is a non-Universal IP that could fit the Gothic atmosphere if we wanted to include something lighter in the mix: Beetlejuice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom