1902 Carthay Circle

D Hulk

I'm not really feeling Antartica either. But maybe we can create the lost world ride somewhere else because it sounds really cool!
What about replacing indoor Antarctica with indoor Atlantis?
These are certainly both still great options!

Nearly every culture has its Lost World myths, from Shangri La to El Dorado to the Lost Mines of Solomon. Any of these could involve S.E.A. and a Dino expedition.

An indoor Atlantis sub-land sounds great too; there’s also the very similar Lemuria, which is basically Oceania’s Atlantis, in case Europe is getting too crowded.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Do we even need to include Antarctica? It has nothing really to do with human culture or myth; it’s singularly a natural wonder.

Seems it’s only our land division by continents that’s creating the issue.

I’ve pushed a “cultural region” land division (which e.g. gives us Latin America instead of South America, thereby including Mexico and the Caribbean) to avoid this difficulty. We can still do Arctic stuff instead - there’s plenty of culture and myth which ties into it.

This is where agreeing on a central thesis could really help.
I agree with cultural regions. I think we are getting a bit too caught up in continents and how many different areas we can fit and represent.

What we should probably do next is try to get our thesis worked out and then decide what lands we want that fit it that we want to explore further and develop.

I've been thinking about this last night and this morning. Your thesis is pretty great! I think it has the same issue mine does though of not having a clear focus.

Like at DisneySea it isn't wrong to say that all of the lands show man's relationship to the seas, but it also isn't fully right. The overall theme of that park is adventure, exploration, and discovery centered around man's relationship to the sea.

Similarly, DAK is about man's relationship with nature. But more accurately it is about adventure, exploration, and discovery centered around man's relationship with nature (specifically animals).

So, for our park, if those two are our main inspirations, then our thesis in one sentence should probably be something like this:

"This park is about adventure, exploration, and discovery centered around the world's cultures (specifically natural wonders, stories, and traditions)."

So, whatever lands we do or create, we want to tell of adventure and exploration and invite guests to explore as well! And through their journeys, they experience the cultures we choose to represent in our park. Their myths, their cuisine, their animals, their beauty. The things that make them unique and the things that tie us all together. All learned through exploration.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Nearly every culture has its Lost World myths, from Shangri La to El Dorado to the Lost Mines of Solomon. Any of these could involve S.E.A. and a Dino expedition.

An indoor Atlantis sub-land sounds great too; there’s also the very similar Lemuria, which is basically Oceania’s Atlantis, in case Europe is getting too crowded.

Looking at this, heres another thought. What we if we really narrow this down.

Disney's Lost Kingdom

Each land is a different "lost world"

D Hulk

This comment got my skull exploding with ideas for a different approach to this park:

DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS
"Guests are explorers departing on research expeditions to discover mythic lost civilizations throughout the world, with each "Lost World" being a place where myths live in harmony with nature."

Think this approach could preserve a lot of the nature, myth and culture we've been discussing, but in a more directed and exciting way. Like DAK, animal exhibits line the ruins and make the settings feel lived-in. Lots of worldwide settings are still represented, but in a less "edutaining" way.

The entry land could be a base camp in a remote village where we leave on our adventure. Makes guests the center of the story, as @MonorailRed suggested. Full of artifacts already recovered. Other lands could include:

El Dorado - Latin American
Shangri-La - Asian
Camelot - European
Asgard - different European
Atlantis and/or Lemuria - Atlantic and Pacific set respectively, which could allow for Greek, Polynesian, even Caribbean
Dhofar - Arabian lost city in the sands
Solomon's Mines - African
Antarctica - Following the dinosaur valley / Lovecraftian ruins examples

This is a list which can be whittled down. It's just an example of the theme's breadth. And I'd wager IPs like Coco could still fold into an El Dorado setting easily enough.

This proposal is a big move away from what we've been discussing, but discuss it or reject it as you please.

Aaaand while I was writing this, @Pionmycake said something very similar! :hilarious:

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
This comment got my skull exploding with ideas for a different approach to this park:

DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS
"Guests are explorers departing on research expeditions to discover mythic lost civilizations throughout the world, with each "Lost World" being a place where myths live in harmony with nature."

Think this approach could preserve a lot of the nature, myth and culture we've been discussing, but in a more directed and exciting way. Like DAK, animal exhibits line the ruins and make the settings feel lived-in. Lots of worldwide settings are still represented, but in a less "edutaining" way.

The entry land could be a base camp in a remote village where we leave on our adventure. Makes guests the center of the story, as @MonorailRed suggested. Full of artifacts already recovered. Other lands could include:

Shangri-La - Asian
Camelot - European
Atlantis and/or Lemuria - Atlantic and Pacific set respectively, which could allow for Greek, Polynesian, even Caribbean

This is a list which can be whittled down. It's just an example of the theme's breadth. And I'd wager IPs like Coco could still fold into an El Dorado setting easily enough.

This proposal is a big move away from what we've been discussing, but discuss it or reject it as you please.

Aaaand while I was writing this, @Pionmycake said something very similar! :hilarious:
I really like this concept, as it perfectly captures everyone’s ideas of the park, and feels like something fresh, magical, and fun. The only Land I’m not 100% sold on is Asgard, as it might be hard going there without using Marvel’s Thor in some degree, nevertheless, I really like it. And I think we can make Antarctica easily be Glacier Bay/Discovery Bay, with Island on Top of the World, the Nautilus simulator exploring the Antarctic Seas and meeting a Krakken, plus the Muppets Wacky Kidzone could go there.

PerGron

DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS

Shangri-La - Asian
Camelot - European

While I like the foundation of this idea, I do some areas should be swapped out. I’m all for a Norse section, but we could kind of lump that in with the SEA base or something. I think Greece should have its own land over Asgard personally. Otherwise, I love the rest.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I really like this concept, as it perfectly captures everyone’s ideas of the park, and feels like something fresh, magical, and fun. The only Land I’m not 100% sold on is Asgard, as it might be hard going there without using Marvel’s Thor in some degree, nevertheless, I really like it. And I think we can make Antarctica easily be Glacier Bay/Discovery Bay, with Island on Top of the World, the Nautilus simulator exploring the Antarctic Seas and meeting a Krakken, plus the Muppets Wacky Kidzone could go there.

DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS

Shangri-La - Asian
Camelot - European

I'm loving this! Gives us more of a focus with a lot of potential for cavern and indoor elements for hiding from weather.

My only real concern, it doesn't lend itself well to live animals. Aquariums in Atlantis (maybe surrounded by a large aqaurium giving the illusion of being underwater). But other animal exhibits don't feel like they'd fit that well.

Other than that, I think this sounds pretty awesome and a lot more focused while covering mostly all the bases we were interested in!

Disney Dad 3000

Disney's Lost Kingdom

DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS

Shangri-La - Asian
Camelot - European

Jinx!
Liking this lost worlds angle. Still leaves room for some mythology and animals but not tied down by having use then everywhere. Each area woukd essentially be an adventure/story.

NateD1226

Disney's Lost Kingdom

DISNEY'S LOST WORLDS

Shangri-La - Asian
Camelot - European

I really love the ideas! I would defiantly be happy to work on this idea. :)

DlpPhantom

I'm loving this! Gives us more of a focus with a lot of potential for cavern and indoor elements for hiding from weather.

My only real concern, it doesn't lend itself well to live animals. Aquariums in Atlantis (maybe surrounded by a large aqaurium giving the illusion of being underwater). But other animal exhibits don't feel like they'd fit that well.

Other than that, I think this sounds pretty awesome and a lot more focused while covering mostly all the bases we were interested in!
Maybe something more like Sea base like some explorers set up an underwater base near a rumored site of the lost continent. That way the ride could explore Atlantis and the land could be more like Seabase Alpha with an aquarium and scientific theme rather than fantastical.

PerGron

What if (and this might be redundant) but instead of focusing on already established fictional civilizations, we invent our own. Much like Anandapur and Harambe at DAK, we could use references from each part of the world we're choosing from, so China/Japan for our Asian area, East Africa for our African area, Mexico/Caribbean/Brazil for Latin America, etc. And instead of go with a civilization already published where we're a little more limited in concept (I.E. harder to fit Coco in Latin America if it is based on El Dorado). I just feel like these fictional places limit our creativity a bit more than if we used influences from the places we want to include (your list of that is fantastic for parts of the world) and just build our own fictional civilizations based on that.

AceAstro

Shangri-La - Asian
Camelot - European
You forgot the most important one:

Canada - The Rest of the World :p

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
What if (and this might be redundant) but instead of focusing on already established fictional civilizations, we invent our own. Much like Anandapur and Harambe at DAK, we could use references from each part of the world we're choosing from, so China/Japan for our Asian area, East Africa for our African area, Mexico/Caribbean/Brazil for Latin America, etc. And instead of go with a civilization already published where we're a little more limited in concept (I.E. harder to fit Coco in Latin America if it is based on El Dorado). I just feel like these fictional places limit our creativity a bit more than if we used influences from the places we want to include (your list of that is fantastic for parts of the world) and just build our own fictional civilizations based on that.
This also sounds like a really good idea! And we could even add some “wonders of the world” to each fictional location, to exploit the international tourism trend in China that @D Hindley pointed out.

Also I think that regardless of the route we go, using a clone of Everest (with maybe some enhancements if wanted) is a given for the Asian Area!

mickeyfan5534

So I keep seeing animals being mentioned and... why? Let Ocean Park get their gig and blow them out of the water with something they could NEVER do. I’m loving the Lost Worlds idea also. Keep that tragectory.

Another idea: divide each land in two. In the front, you have the real locations ala Harambe and Anandapur. In the back, you have that culture’s lost world.

Last edited:

D Hulk

Wow, everyone seems stoked on the Lost Worlds concept! :D Super awesome!

Good discussion on how we’ll handle the ideas. We could also start debating specific lands. I agree on cutting Asgard to avoid MCU connections...however it’s still possible to use Wakanda as an African lost world.

Good idea. I’m mixed on which route I prefer. Using pre-existing lost worlds has name recognition value. Think they still offer plenty of room for creativity as we can fuse real world influences like DAK does in Africa and Asia.

I’ve been researching UNESCO World Heritage Site on my own (simply find them fascinating) and they’re a lot deeper than the obvious postcard World Showcase landmarks. There are, say, traditional villages and festivals we can pull from to enrich our settings.

This also sounds like a really good idea! And we could even add some “wonders of the world” to each fictional location, to exploit the international tourism trend in China that @D Hindley pointed out.

Also I think that regardless of the route we go, using a clone of Everest (with maybe some enhancements if wanted) is a given for the Asian Area!
Agreed on Everest - perhaps rethemed a bit as a journey up to Shangri-La. The layout might need changing though since HKDL’s Grizzly Mountain uses the same backwards track gimmick.

PerGron

So I keep seeing animals being mentioned and... why? Let Ocean Park get their gig and blow them out of the water with something they could NEVER do. I’m loving the Lost Worlds idea also. Keep that tragectory.

Another idea: divide each land in two. In the front, you have the real locations ala Harambe and Anandapur. In the back, you have that culture’s lost world.

So I keep defending the animal addition for my own personal bias as an animal care professional, but I do think there are very good reasons to add them to the park. Ocean Park does so well because the Chinese market absolutely adore animal attractions, many times choosing them over themeing. They will go out of their way to visit animal attractions whereas the rides come second to them.

By adding animals, it would attract the Chinese populous, pulling from the crowds that Ocean Park has, therefore helping HKDL do much better overall. Even if the animals were kept to a smaller number (one or two areas) guests would flock to the park to see their beloved pandas and tigers. That is why (at least in my opinion) including animals in some capacity is important to the success of the park. The masses of the Chinese market don't care about how enriching the environment is if there is an animal attraction nearby. Combining both would make an incredibly successful park.

SukaVayne33

And once we have that Thesis - and begin deciphering the concepts involved, it could be fun to utilize everyone's talents towards specific parts of the project.

Something we didn't do in Club 32 is have 'roles' - we could even take them straight out of WDI

Lead Project Manager
Lead Art Director
Lead Engineer (ie ride designs and mechanics)
etc for the whole park

And then have sub-leads for specific lands if someone wants to focus on Asia, Europe, etc - they could be the lead designer of Europe, and have folks work there, with the Park Leads also chiming in as well.

A big collaborative environment (but one that's also organized)
That is a very good idea, and I can honestly say since I worked in the industry for over 20 plus years in many areas of it like park ops, merch, entertainment, and creative. I have a main focus from doing creative entertainment, special events, and design. So, since you asked me to be involved whatever you would need most for me to do I will. Ive did work for SWP&E like HOS, and events. Plus did some collabs with que and theme. I believe you have the good idea here with seeing where everyones strong ideas in a certain department or area would be very much more organized, and not so much too going off the rails. So, just let me know which area or dept you think I would benefit, and I can get my Creative Vayne Ears on and start brainstorming and doing collabs with other members.

Also, I really love this LOST WORLDS concept, and where the guests are on adventures throughout the park and lands. I wonder also with this if there is away since DAK is about animals and mans relationship with them and ways to be conservative if also this LOST WORLDS, could incorporate the being conservative by from their adventures and such it also goes to preserving lands, water, animals, just a way to also know that being at the park and your adventure is actually helping Earth. Just a little rambaling thought that came to me.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom