1902 Carthay Circle

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
It seems like there are two different versions of this park which we're discussing.

One is fully dedicated to ideas like myth. In this version, there is an entire UK land dedicated to Beastlie Creatures and Arthurian Myth, plus an entire separate Greek Myth land. All settings are inherently fantastical and require complete immersion.

Another idea is a "World Showcase meets Animal Kingdom" style exploration of the world's cultural and natural wonders. Myth remains an aspect of this park, however it is found exclusively within attractions. Exteriors reflect real world settings, with a transitional flow from nation to nation as was planned for WestCOT:
85461a837201a210131ecc903728de7b--disneyland-vintage-disney-attractions.jpg

India, Thailand and Vietnam are visible at once but blended thoughtfully. Directly to the right you would transition into China, and then Japan afterwards.

I support this latter approach. IPs fit as needed within realistic exterior structures, plus there's plenty of opportunity for original creations everywhere...with nothing clashing! Perhaps seeing ****et and the Taj Mahal simultaneously isn't "immersive," but realistic detailing a-la DAK can make a charming setting nonetheless.
I agree, I really like the idea of the second approach, the environments could be set in real world, and you enter, we can make it be like Maelstrom used to be, it was in a Norwegian Village, you walked into a building and the attraction was contained in there, for example, maybe you enter the ruins of a British Castle and in comes to life in the vein of Mystic Manor, and it happens to be Arthur’s Castle. The Greek area could be a Harbor, where Crete used to be, and that way guests can accidentally walk into the Labyrinth, the show could be Modern Greeks telling the stories of their ancestors, and the Whip Ride, could maybe be scrapped? We can have a third section be either a German or French Town for the Dragon Coaster?

Suchomimus

Exteriors reflect real world settings, with a transitional flow from nation to nation as was planned for WestCOT:

India, Thailand and Vietnam are visible at once but blended thoughtfully. Directly to the right you would transition into China, and then Japan afterwards.
This picture reminds me of an old book from 69 my mom has called Adventures In Fact; part of The Walt Disney Parade series; which has the last two chapters on Japan and Thailand.

spacemt354

Chili's
It seems like there are two different versions of this park which we're discussing.

One is fully dedicated to ideas like myth. In this version, there is an entire UK land dedicated to Beastlie Creatures and Arthurian Myth, plus an entire separate Greek Myth land. All settings are inherently fantastical and require complete immersion.

Another idea is a "World Showcase meets Animal Kingdom" style exploration of the world's cultural and natural wonders. Myth remains an aspect of this park, however it is found exclusively within attractions. Exteriors reflect real world settings, with a transitional flow from nation to nation as was planned for WestCOT:

I support this latter approach. IPs fit as needed within realistic exterior structures, plus there's plenty of opportunity for original creations everywhere...with nothing clashing! Perhaps seeing ****et and the Taj Mahal simultaneously isn't "immersive," but realistic detailing a-la DAK can make a charming setting nonetheless.
I agree, I really like the idea of the second approach, the environments could be set in real world, and you enter, we can make it be like Maelstrom used to be, it was in a Norwegian Village, you walked into a building and the attraction was contained in there, for example, maybe you enter the ruins of a British Castle and in comes to life in the vein of Mystic Manor, and it happens to be Arthur’s Castle. The Greek area could be a Harbor, where Crete used to be, and that way guests can accidentally walk into the Labyrinth, the show could be Modern Greeks telling the stories of their ancestors, and the Whip Ride, could maybe be scrapped? We can have a third section be either a German or French Town for the Dragon Coaster?
I think with all the sub-brainstorming going on -- it can get confusing and overloaded with ideas.

And overload of ideas is not a bad thing - but without a central premise, we're just brainstorming to brainstorm.

Could someone describe the park in an elevator pitch style? 1-3 Sentences. It can be a rough form, even edited as we go - but we need a central 'Thesis statement'

Something that focuses our attention to brainstorm for the goal of accomplishing what the thesis states. If we do that we will be in good shape.

NateD1226

I think with all the sub-brainstorming going on -- it can get confusing and overloaded with ideas.

And overload of ideas is not a bad thing - but without a central premise, we're just brainstorming to brainstorm.

Could someone describe the park in an elevator pitch style? 1-3 Sentences. It can be a rough form, even edited as we go - but we need a central 'Thesis statement'

Something that focuses our attention to brainstorm for the goal of accomplishing what the thesis states. If we do that we will be in good shape.
I agree! I think we should take one country at a time.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I'd even go as far as to say we have three separate approaches going.

An around the world park with mythology and live animals enriching that

A mythology park with an around the world theme to help organize everything and live animals there too

An animal park that takes guests on a trip around the world with mythology added in.

Of the three, I initially leaned towards the mythology focus. But looking at everything we want to accomplish and include, the around the world focus does seem like the best option. Myths and animals are included as we go, but the lands are focused on the places rather than the stories and creatures.

That being said, I still think a Beastly Kingdom/King Arthur/Shakespeare influence/ruins approach to represent the UK is our best bet. Focusing too heavy on modern and man made icons and cities might make it difficult to differentiate ourselves from just being World Showcase 2 and would limit us in terms of attractions. I'd rather choose one or two lands too create from each continent or cultural category that are their own thing, rather than directly recreating stuff, to better represent the whole of the region. More DAK than Epcot. But either way it will be amazing as all the different ideas for focuses and directions are very strong.

spacemt354

Chili's
And once we have that Thesis - and begin deciphering the concepts involved, it could be fun to utilize everyone's talents towards specific parts of the project.

Something we didn't do in Club 32 is have 'roles' - we could even take them straight out of WDI

Lead Project Manager
Lead Art Director
Lead Engineer (ie ride designs and mechanics)
etc for the whole park

And then have sub-leads for specific lands if someone wants to focus on Asia, Europe, etc - they could be the lead designer of Europe, and have folks work there, with the Park Leads also chiming in as well.

A big collaborative environment (but one that's also organized)

spacemt354

Chili's
And once we have that Thesis - and begin deciphering the concepts involved, it could be fun to utilize everyone's talents towards specific parts of the project.

Something we didn't do in Club 32 is have 'roles' - we could even take them straight out of WDI

Lead Project Manager
Lead Art Director
etc for the whole park

And then have sub-leads for specific lands if someone wants to focus on Asia, Europe, etc - they could be the lead designer of Europe, and have folks work there, with the Park Leads also chiming in as well.

In this the 'leads' essentially oversee the whole park design, make sure everything fits together. Maybe they're responsible for the finished park design, and keeping up with the brainstorming/concepts for the different lands...making sure it flows and is on point with the thesis statement.

Then the different lands could be run by folks who are passionate about them...and it gives them a focused project to work on. That being said, if your land is say Africa, and it's close to Europe, you'll want to communicate with the Europe designers to make sure there's some sort of transition between your two lands, with the leads keeping up with the discussion to make sure everyone is on the same page!

spacemt354

Chili's
I'd even go as far as to say we have three separate approaches going.

An around the world park with mythology and live animals enriching that

A mythology park with an around the world theme to help organize everything and live animals there too

An animal park that takes guests on a trip around the world with mythology added in.

Of the three, I initially leaned towards the mythology focus. But looking at everything we want to accomplish and include, the around the world focus does seem like the best option. Myths and animals are included as we go, but the lands are focused on the places rather than the stories and creatures.

That being said, I still think a Beastly Kingdom/King Arthur/Shakespeare influence/ruins approach to represent the UK is our best bet. Focusing too heavy on modern and man made icons and cities might make it difficult to differentiate ourselves from just being World Showcase 2 and would limit us in terms of attractions. I'd rather choose one or two lands too create from each continent or cultural category that are their own thing, rather than directly recreating stuff, to better represent the whole of the region. More DAK than Epcot. But either way it will be amazing as all the different ideas for focuses and directions are very strong.
I'm in the camp that agrees with the World Showcase meets DAK - but without icons like in World Showcase.

I'd rather the guests find out where they are not by seeing a Chinese temple and being like, oh yeah we're in China. But more the DAK style where we build either a make-believe town set in China/Mongolia/etc...and have the guests find out where they are via exploring. Make it feel lived-in rather than a replica of a famous monument or statue. Something that is organically made and unique to the park.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Lead Project Manager
Lead Art Director
etc for the whole park

This approach sounds smart! Even if we don't get quite that official and business like with it. Some project leaders to help organize things in a large scale project with a lot of contributes is a good idea!

And definitely our parks mission statement needs ti be figured out. The unifying goal we build things around

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
My proposal for the pitch/statement:

Welcome to [Insert Park Name], Hong Kong Disneyland’s Second Gate, a theme park that with the help of vibrant storytelling, and immersive environments will transport guests on a trip around the world to discover the different approaches to Nature and Myths by the different cultures. From a Small Mexican Town to a Majestic Greek Harbor, there will be plenty of experiences and adventures that will teach guests interesting historical and cultural facts from other countries, as well as learn about some of the endemic animals from different regions. This park will represent the state of flux that human culture is continually under, with an important message of being able to see beyond our differences, by accepting and learning from others around the world, all with a touch of DisneyMagic.

Outbound

What if the park's layout represented the world's layout, to an extent? Here's a rough draft of what I mean:
Hong Kong Disneyland.PNG

This is under the assumption we will keep to the continent/cultural regions idea. The park is effectively one giant globe. You enter at the red arrow as shown below.
worldmap.png

We wouldn't need to completely follow this map (entering the park in the Ural Mountains would be a bit awkward) but I think it would be a cool way to differentiate ourselves in park layouts. The first land could either be Asia, Europe, or someone else. I suggest we use Asia, since that's where most of the guests live.

This plot of land is huge, nearly triple the size of Disneyland HK proper, so there would still be plenty of room for different architectural styles and roaming grounds for animals. I gave Africa a giant plot in the event we wanted to do safaris.

FireMountain

What if the park's layout represented the world's layout, to an extent? Here's a rough draft of what I mean:
View attachment 301013
This is under the assumption we will keep to the continent/cultural regions idea. The park is effectively one giant globe. You enter at the red arrow as shown below.
View attachment 301014
We wouldn't need to completely follow this map (entering the park in the Ural Mountains would be a bit awkward) but I think it would be a cool way to differentiate ourselves in park layouts. The first land could either be Asia, Europe, or someone else. I suggest we use Asia, since that's where most of the guests live.

This plot of land is huge, nearly triple the size of Disneyland HK proper, so there would still be plenty of room for different architectural styles and roaming grounds for animals. I gave Africa a giant plot in the event we wanted to do safaris.
Question: How would Antarctica work as a land?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
My proposal for the pitch/statement:

Welcome to [Insert Park Name], Hong Kong Disneyland’s Second Gate, a theme park that with the help of vibrant storytelling, and immersive environments will transport guests on a trip around the world to discover the different approaches to Nature and Myths by the different cultures. From a Small Mexican Town to a Majestic Greek Harbor, there will be plenty of experiences and adventures that will teach guests interesting historical and cultural facts from other countries, as well as learn about some of the endemic animals from different regions. This park will represent the state of flux that human culture is continually under, with an important message of being able to see beyond our differences, by accepting and learning from others around the world, all with a touch of DisneyMagic.
This is fantastic and beautifully written! BUT I'm not sure if it is what we need right now. It feels more like an opening day speech or dedication.

We need a mission statement. Plain, easy to understand. Simple. Short.

"A tour around the world! Each land will be designed to represent a different region or culture, but will not directly recreate the regions. While the lands will be mostly grounded in reality, the attractions will often feature myths, legends, Disney IPs, and other fantastical elements. Live animal exhibits featuring creatures from across the globe will also be included.

Overall, the goal of the park is to allow guests to explore the world. Learning about and being inspired by the cultures of the world. Seeing the ways we are all similar as well as all unique. This will be done through realistic environments demonstrating the natural beauty of the world (enhanced by the natural beauty of the Park's location), authentic cuisine and shopping, the myths and stories that help enrich the cultures, and the real animals that fill this world with life."

This is my pitch for it at least

NateD1226

This is fantastic and beautifully written! BUT I'm not sure if it is what we need right now. It feels more like an opening day speech or dedication.

"A tour around the world! Each land will be designed to represent a different region or culture, but will not directly recreate the regions. While the lands will be mostly grounded in reality, the attractions will often feature myths, legends, Disney IPs, and other fantastical elements. Live animal exhibits featuring creatures from across the globe will also be included.

Overall, the goal of the park is to allow guests to explore the world. Learning about and being inspired by the cultures of the world. Seeing the ways we are all similar as well as all unique. This will be done through realistic environments demonstrating the natural beauty of the world (enhanced by the natural beauty of the Park's location), authentic cuisine and shopping, the myths and stories that help enrich the cultures, and the real animals that fill this world with life."

That is pretty good!

NateD1226

Maybe it can have Island on Top of the World, a Dinosaur themed Coaster, and things like that? Or it can be some sort of SEA Base of Operations, a Verne theme Land? There could be different angles for it!
Yeah! I can see more sea life that dinosaur. Maybe like an omnimover ride that takes you under the ice to find like lost treasure or sunken ships.

spacemt354

Chili's

I like it -- but I'd even go simpler with a different exercise

in your own words (for everyone) describe Disney's Animal Kingdom in 1 sentence, and then describe Tokyo DisneySea in 1 sentence.

Those are two things we know...and are built. They're easy to describe because there's something tangible to base your sentence on.

Once we have those two descriptions we combine everyone's together, and let's see if we can surmise a thesis for this park from those descriptions to keep it neat and simple.

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature, ecology, environmental impacts as well as man's relations with animals real and mystical define the journey you take throughout Disney's Animal Kingdom, with an emphasis on "exploring" earth's diversity, habitats in the wild, prehistoric times, and alien worlds.

Tokyo DisneySea
United by the 'seas', this park invites its guests to travel through time and venture to different ports of call all over the known world, where you can enter seafaring villages, literary tales, classic films, and be immersed in impeccable detail unparalleled in themed entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom