1902 Carthay Circle

BlakeW39

I'd even go as far as to say we have three separate approaches going.

An around the world park with mythology and live animals enriching that

A mythology park with an around the world theme to help organize everything and live animals there too

An animal park that takes guests on a trip around the world with mythology added in.

Of the three, I initially leaned towards the mythology focus. But looking at everything we want to accomplish and include, the around the world focus does seem like the best option. Myths and animals are included as we go, but the lands are focused on the places rather than the stories and creatures.

That being said, I still think a Beastly Kingdom/King Arthur/Shakespeare influence/ruins approach to represent the UK is our best bet. Focusing too heavy on modern and man made icons and cities might make it difficult to differentiate ourselves from just being World Showcase 2 and would limit us in terms of attractions. I'd rather choose one or two lands too create from each continent or cultural category that are their own thing, rather than directly recreating stuff, to better represent the whole of the region. More DAK than Epcot. But either way it will be amazing as all the different ideas for focuses and directions are very strong.
I'm in the camp that agrees with the World Showcase meets DAK - but without icons like in World Showcase.

I'd rather the guests find out where they are not by seeing a Chinese temple and being like, oh yeah we're in China. But more the DAK style where we build either a make-believe town set in China/Mongolia/etc...and have the guests find out where they are via exploring. Make it feel lived-in rather than a replica of a famous monument or statue. Something that is organically made and unique to the park.

I agree 100%. We should totally do some fictional lands to resemble real ones, so we are creating something to snd fresh where you have to explore to learn about your surrounding and what is going on.

If you've heard Rohde speaking about how he and his team approached DAK - they approached it as a story, where you walk through the gates and its your adventure (which is why there aren't any dark rides where you're told a story, because you are always part of it). That could work well for us I think :D

spacemt354

Chili's
One of the things we did early on in Club 32 was get attached very early on to some concepts - before coming up with the Thesis (or Mission Statement if that's easier to address it as)

And then when it came time to assemble the park, and we wanted to change some things...it made it more difficult to let go of ideas we had since the beginning.

So for our thesis -- we shouldn't have a specific land or theme in it -- it should be as broad as possible, just focused on what kind of park we want...and not necessarily the specifics of what is in the park.

MonorailRed

Applebees
I agree 100%. We should totally do some fictional lands to resemble real ones, so we are creating something to snd fresh where you have to explore to learn about your surrounding and what is going on.

If you've heard Rohde speaking about how he and his team approached DAK - they approached it as a story, where you walk through the gates and its your adventure (which is why there aren't any dark rides where you're told a story, because you are always part of it). That could work well for us I think :D
When I worked Pandora I got to meet Joe Rhode and he spoke with us...he said "story first" all else comes later. If you have the story foundations you can take that story in different directions in the park, but if you don't have the foundations first, then the story goes nowhere. Such a smart guy!

BlakeW39

If we're doing continents during different time frames while incorporating live animals and potentially indoor lands, then I actually have few cool ideas. I've been to the Detroit Zoo and there, their penguin exhibit is a sort of indoor Antarctica themed area. So an idea would be to have an indoor land themed to when we first discovered Antarctica, ans it could be a great way to fit in some penguins and possibly aquatic species that live near the south pole, as well as air conditioning :)

That was my idea for a small Antarctica themed indoor land ;)

Question: How would Antarctica work as a land?

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
Disney’s Animal Kingdom - Learn about the animals of the past, present, and fictional, while exploring different region of the world, and out of it, while also teaching guests in a fun way about biodiversity, and the importance of taking responsibility in the natural environment.

Tokyo DisneySea - Explore the World and the Seas in a unique way that takes you through fun adventures around the world and the times, as you learn about exploration and different cultures!

BlakeW39

When I worked Pandora I got to meet Joe Rhode and he spoke with us...he said "story first" all else comes later. If you have the story foundations you can take that story in different directions in the park, but if you don't have the foundations first, then the story goes nowhere. Such a smart guy!

Oh that's really cool :) I think he's a fantastic imagineer :D

PerGron

My idea for a potential thesis.

Explore the wonderful planet we inhabit without having to buy a plane ticket. From the exotic locales to the natural beauty to the cultures and history of Earth’s people, this second gate hopes to inspire, educate, and entertain the masses about how beautiful, wonderful, and fantastic our planet is.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I like it -- but I'd even go simpler with a different exercise

in your own words (for everyone) describe Disney's Animal Kingdom in 1 sentence, and then describe Tokyo DisneySea in 1 sentence.

Those are two things we know...and are built. They're easy to describe because there's something tangible to base your sentence on.

Once we have those two descriptions we combine everyone's together, and let's see if we can surmise a thesis for this park from those descriptions to keep it neat and simple.
I like this!

Animal Kingdom: This park takes guests on an adventure to discover man's relationship with nature and yhe environment with a primary focus on animals (real, extinct, and legendary).

DisneySea: This park is full of immersive lands dedicated to the spirit of adventure, discovery, and exploration with a primary focus on the sea or seaside locations.

DlpPhantom

Guys I know this is completely blue sky but I doubt Disney would make a Park with animals at Hong Kong. The first park is already underperforming and the upkeep on animals would just make the budget for maintaining the resort that much greater as apposed to just a second theme park. If we want to bring so realism I would say we keep animals exhibits to a minimum with probably no big attractions like the Safari and are plot is directly across from Disneyland meaning nightly fireworks which would disturb the animals. With this in mind maybe an aquarium like the seas would work better.

PerGron

Guys I know this is completely blue sky but I doubt Disney would make a Park with animals at Hong Kong. The first park is already underperforming and the upkeep on animals would just make the budget for maintaining the resort that much greater as apposed to just a second theme park. If we want to bring so realism I would say we keep animals exhibits to a minimum with probably no big attractions like the Safari and are plot is directly across from Disneyland meaning nightly fireworks which would disturb the animals. With this in mind maybe an aquarium like the seas would work better.

I understand where you're coming from with the fireworks bit, but as an animal care professional, there are ways to prevent stress during fireworks. Providing indoor enclosures that muffle the sound for the animals makes a huge difference as does simply getting the animals used to loud noises. The zoo I work at is right next to the beach, so our animals have to deal with constant fire trucks, police cars, large crowds, etc, and many nights during the summer (especially around July 4th) there are huge fireworks displays. So long as the animals are in a secure location where they cannot harm themselves, most animals adapt to the sounds after a while with no problem whatsoever. It just may take a few months. On top of that, with the distance between the expansion pad and the firework launch area, there is enough distance that the animals should be fine to begin with. Just my professional 2 cents about the topic.

D Hulk

OSC thesis effort:

“Distinct cultural regions from around the world, each culture represented in an idealized-yet-realistic style fusing real world influences into a timeless pre-modern setting, with architectural details and attractions reflecting the local culture’s relationship to its nature, myths and customs.”

Additionally, it’s worth noting that Chinese travel abroad is a major growing trend, one which our park can can take advantage of.

D Hulk

full

Totally off topic, but here’s a park I did last year based on different world myths (filtered through a focus on mythical creatures).

The initial inspiration came from Beastlie Kingdomme. I attempted to fuse real cultures with the fantastical stuff. If we were to do a myth-based park it’d likely be somewhat like this.

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
I was thinking about the Lighthouse that was mentioned before in the conversation, and I was thinking that maybe it can be located in the middle of a lake, and contain a Drop Tower or some sort of attraction? Another option could be that it contains the entrance to the Labyrinth in Greece? Just Thoughts...

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
OSC thesis effort:

“Distinct cultural regions from around the world, each culture represented in an idealized-yet-realistic style fusing real world influences into a timeless pre-modern setting, with architectural details and attractions reflecting the local culture’s relationship to its nature, myths and customs.”

Additionally, it’s worth noting that Chinese travel abroad is a major growing trend, one which our park can can take advantage of.
I like this thesis, I think that it sums pretty well everyone’s idea, and I think that we should definitely exploit the travel abroad trend, we can have each of the Continents/Lands have a major building that can become Disney’s Wonders of World without being exactly a Wonder of the World but rather based/inspired on them?

spacemt354

Chili's
OSC thesis effort:

Me gusta

Evilgidgit

I have an idea on how to deal with Antarctica! How about this -- the Antarctic land holds a S.E.A. outpost that doubles as an animal sanctuary, thus it has a penguin area, but it is also an expedition to find a "lost world" of frozen dinosaurs and prehistoric beasts. Turns out they actually found it, and this would reflect the theme park's motifs of animals and mythology, since dinosaurs can be seen as legends of nature.

D Hulk

I have an idea on how to deal with Antarctica! How about this -- the Antarctic land holds a S.E.A. outpost that doubles as an animal sanctuary, thus it has a penguin area, but it is also an expedition to find a "lost world" of frozen dinosaurs and prehistoric beasts. Turns out they actually found it, and this would reflect the theme park's motifs of animals and mythology, since dinosaurs can be seen as legends of nature.
Do we even need to include Antarctica? It has nothing really to do with human culture or myth; it’s singularly a natural wonder.

Seems it’s only our land division by continents that’s creating the issue.

I’ve pushed a “cultural region” land division (which e.g. gives us Latin America instead of South America, thereby including Mexico and the Caribbean) to avoid this difficulty. We can still do Arctic stuff instead - there’s plenty of culture and myth which ties into it.

This is where agreeing on a central thesis could really help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom