1902 Carthay Circle

D Hulk

@DisneyFan18, I think you brought up the idea of park icon earlier. That's maybe the biggest matter which needs discussion.

the Library of Alexandria idea is a good one. It ties together all the cultural elements of the park. As long as we can dodge comparisons to IOA's Lighthouse of Alexandria, we should be good there.

What could be a good encompassing natural icon? DAK's Tree of Life and TDS's Mt. Prometheus volcano are both brilliant examples, and we'd need something distinct from both. Something like a big towering waterfall with water pouring down all 360 degrees maybe? Gives it movement and life. I dunno. Any other ideas?

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
@DisneyFan18, I think you brought up the idea of park icon earlier. That's maybe the biggest matter which needs discussion.

the Library of Alexandria idea is a good one. It ties together all the cultural elements of the park. As long as we can dodge comparisons to IOA's Lighthouse of Alexandria, we should be good there.

What could be a good encompassing natural icon? DAK's Tree of Life and TDS's Mt. Prometheus volcano are both brilliant examples, and we'd need something distinct from both. Something like a big towering waterfall with water pouring down all 360 degrees maybe? Gives it movement and life. I dunno. Any other ideas?
I had thought about a giant fountain, which would also be ideal for a nighttime show, I’m thinking to have different boat models sculpted into it, with an Atlas holding the world in the Top, however it’s just an idea, and it could definitely be improved!

Disney Dad 3000

Yeah, the library was something that had popped in my head as a possibility if the literary angle was going to be strong in the park. Maybe if it doesn't make the cut as an icon could end up playing a part as an attraction of some type if it would fit.

I liked where @DisneyFan18 was going with the fountain idea. I know he just mentioned but think I'd seen it several pages back during some of the early chatter. On the plus side it was more of a natural element, and different than AK, TDS or the HK backdrop. I wonder if it would be a strong enough draw/focal point though.
Are there any natural water features you can think of that would fit the bill? The trick is in presenting them I guess. Maybe instead of using an existing site as a basis you just go from scratch using something as a starting point, but tweak it to work in a theme park setting,building a mountain and or attraction into the backside of some type of falls, etc.

spacemt354

Chili's
I had thought about a giant fountain, which would also be ideal for a nighttime show, I’m thinking to have different boat models sculpted into it, with an Atlas holding the world in the Top, however it’s just an idea, and it could definitely be improved!
Fountain idea is really good! Adds to the naturalistic aesthetic yet also something could work for something like Rivers of Light or Fantasmic (not those shows, but something that uses water in the act.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Day 2 Recap

A83861F0-E547-45E1-AC21-C91CEADC3BED.jpeg

Alright! So many great ideas!

Basically, we seem to be focusing on a mixture of culture, myths, and natural beauty from around the world as the theme. Dividing up the park into areas based on either the seven continents or the UNESCO 5 cultural regions (which could easily be spread out to more than just five for better park organization).

Shout out to @PerGronStudio for beong our ace in the hole when it comes to animal exhibit expertise! We want animal exhibits to help compete with Ocean Park and because animals are awesome. So, paper straws only please :p

I think this post by @D Hindley does a great job explaining some of our main themes that tie it all together as well as the UNESCO stuff.​
So to reiterate, our park takes as its theme the entire world - specifically its culture, myth and natural beauty.

Think a good organizing principle and source of inspiration could be the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. They catalog the world's greatest natural sites, cultural/historical sites, and mixed sites.

Rather than dividing by continent like we're discussing, the World Heritage people have 5 "cultural region" categories: Africa, Arab States, Asia & the Pacific, Europe & North America, and Latin America & the Caribbean. (Following this, we could make 7 regions by splitting "North America" and "the Pacific AKA Oceania" into their own "lands.") This breakdown helps keep Aztec and Incan monuments (for example) grouped together even though they're on different continents.

Here's a list of all existing World Heritage Sites by country. Duplicating many of these would hopefully give us a very "Animal Kingdom meets EPCOT" flavor of edutainment with the potential for DisneySEA quality immersion.
Unesco-Graphic.jpg

Below is what I think is all the main ideas that have been brought up for lands within the seven continents (or reworked for the 5 cultural regions). If I missed anything, let me know and I'll edit it in!

-Europe-
British literature (specifically LotR).
Arthurian legends and high fantasy (Beastly Kingdomme as a part of this? Or as it's own thing).
Greek myths (possibly including Atlantis. Possibly Atlantis as a regular land. Possibly Atlantis as an indoor kid focused land (Muppets or Ducktales tie in?)).
Norse mythology Scandanavian Village (possibly indoor for AC to simulate cold. Vikings!).

-Asia-
Chinese myths and stories (Journey to the West, Monkey King, Terracotta Army, lots of options. Possibly framed around an old British colonial Hong Kong town).
India's tall tales and fables.
Doctor Strange (tied to either the Ancient One or the Hong Kong Sanctum).

-Africa-
Egyptian Mythology.
Wakanda.
DAK inspired area
(possibly including a clone or similar attraction to Kilimanjaro Safaris).

-North America -
Native American Mythology (possibly including Pocahontas and Frontierland elements).
Coastal hipster town/boardwalk (ice cream shop, small stores, marine life exhibits, Toy Story Mania?).
Tall tales land (Paul Bunyan, johny Appleseed).
Pacific Northwest Crytips/Urban legends land (possibly including Gravity Falls. Maybe indoors for perpetual night time).
Caribbean/Latin America pirates land.

-South America-
Aztec myths.
Paradise Falls.

-Australia/oceania-
Nemo (possibly as an indoor kids land).
Polynesian mythology island (Moana as expected heavy focus. Helps fill the void of the more African focused Adventureland in Hong kong. Tiki room?).

-Antarctica-
Penguin exhibit.

So, that is about 22 different lands and areas lol. At some point we'll have to cut this down, but that's going to be tough because so many of these are amazing!

Going forward, we are talking about starting to narrow down what we are looking at for Europe as well as discussing park icon ideas (such as a fountain or the library of Alexandria)! Can't wait to see what we think up!

SukaVayne33

Love it! We can definitely figure out something like that!
I like that idea very well. How about since the world and humanity always changes and in flux, use something like the 4 elements (FIRE, WATER, EARTH, AIR) since we all need those to survive and we take from them, and use them, like in the forging of how life was, is, and how it can change). Just been looking thru, and finishing a school paper of like 45 pages for a design write up. So, the world is always changing, and such.

DlpPhantom

What about a lighthouse? I know islands of adventure also has a lighthouse but what if we do a more oriental design. Or we base it off the lighthouse of Alexandria. Tying in with both the water and the idea of the library of Alexandria.
Edit drawing of the lighthouse of Alexandria sometimes called Pharos.
0EB61077-FF1D-44B4-A939-D2FE28BA1976.jpeg

BlakeW39

Maybe for the park icon, since well all love the DAK Tree of Life and the DS volcano, maybe we can have a mountain in the center of the park, and the mountain, instead of being entirely rocky, can have lush greenery on many edges with possibly a bit of water flowing out. And we could maybe have cultural icons carved into the mountain, anything from the gods like Zeus or animals imortant to a culture like lions or elephants. Then possibly have caves in the mountain to explore with cultural elements in the caves (?) Maybe a show like DAK or even a dark ride like Epcot.

Evilgidgit

Day 2 Recap

View attachment 300893

Alright! So many great ideas!

Basically, we seem to be focusing on a mixture of culture, myths, and natural beauty from around the world as the theme. Dividing up the park into areas based on either the seven continents or the UNESCO 5 cultural regions (which could easily be spread out to more than just five for better park organization).

Shout out to @PerGronStudio for beong our ace in the hole when it comes to animal exhibit expertise! We want animal exhibits to help compete with Ocean Park and because animals are awesome. So, paper straws only please :p

I think this post by @D Hindley does a great job explaining some of our main themes that tie it all together as well as the UNESCO stuff.​

Below is what I think is all the main ideas that have been brought up for lands within the seven continents (or reworked for the 5 cultural regions). If I missed anything, let me know and I'll edit it in!

-Europe-
British literature (specifically LotR).
Arthurian legends and high fantasy (Beastly Kingdomme as a part of this? Or as it's own thing).
Greek myths (possibly including Atlantis. Possibly Atlantis as a regular land. Possibly Atlantis as an indoor kid focused land (Muppets or Ducktales tie in?)).
Norse mythology Scandanavian Village (possibly indoor for AC to simulate cold. Vikings!).

-Asia-
Chinese myths and stories (Journey to the West, Monkey King, Terracotta Army, lots of options. Possibly framed around an old British colonial Hong Kong town).
India's tall tales and fables.
Doctor Strange (tied to either the Ancient One or the Hong Kong Sanctum).

-Africa-
Egyptian Mythology.
Wakanda.
DAK inspired area
(possibly including a clone or similar attraction to Kilimanjaro Safaris).

-North America -
Native American Mythology (possibly including Pocahontas and Frontierland elements).
Coastal hipster town/boardwalk (ice cream shop, small stores, marine life exhibits, Toy Story Mania?).
Tall tales land (Paul Bunyan, johny Appleseed).
Pacific Northwest Crytips/Urban legends land (possibly including Gravity Falls. Maybe indoors for perpetual night time).
Caribbean/Latin America pirates land.

-South America-
Aztec myths.
Paradise Falls.

-Australia/oceania-
Nemo (possibly as an indoor kids land).
Polynesian mythology island (Moana as expected heavy focus. Helps fill the void of the more African focused Adventureland in Hong kong. Tiki room?).

-Antarctica-
Penguin exhibit.

So, that is about 22 different lands and areas lol. At some point we'll have to cut this down, but that's going to be tough because so many of these are amazing!

Going forward, we are talking about starting to narrow down what we are looking at for Europe as well as discussing park icon ideas (such as a fountain or the library of Alexandria)! Can't wait to see what we think up!

Well, there's a lot to unpack here. But because I have a lot of time on my hands, I'll throw some ideas and comments onto the table.

1. I am concernicus about using LOTR. Frankly, it should probably get its own land, if not an entire theme park to itself, considering how vast and amazing it is. If we're talking realism here, then the films would likely be a major source and then there's the licensing, and Warner Bros./New Line/Peter Jackson. Idea wise - I'd base a land on The Hobbit, as that has a "smaller" setting and could encompass the Shire, Mirkwood, and the Lonely Mountain (with a mine cart coaster inside).

2. British literature could allow for some classic Disney dark rides to be included (Alice, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad), but I feel that it shouldn't be restricted to that. Mixing in the Arthurian legends could count too, since they did begin as literature. One idea is too split the land/area in two, between a more high fantasy medieval setting incorporating KA, Robin Hood, and Beastly Kingdom (or just make BK the area), and a Victorian London environment to include the classic dark rides, Sherlock Holmes, and maybe other classic 19th century lit (Dr. Jekyll, A Christmas Carol, etc.)

3. Greek myths are an absolute necessity and I have way too many ideas for this! I agree with the idea of a Greek harbour, or perhaps made it a harbour at the foot of Mount Olympus and a home to the gods. I can imagine the Colossus of Rhodes as a land-weenie. Attraction ideas - the Labyrinth of Thesius, a traditional Greek amphitheatre telling classic Greek tragedies, a boat ride in the Underworld, an exploratory Argo, and a coaster ride through and around Olympus itself. And there should definitely be something related to Hercules, and Atlantis.

4. I feel the Scandanavian village should be an original take on the Norse myths, but could include Marvel's version of Thor in some compacity. Yggdrasil (Tree of Life) should be present, towering over the landscape, with Jormungandr, the World Serpent, wrapped around it. Also, this would be a good excuse to bring back Maelstrom!

5. The Hong Kong Sanctum could bit in nicely with a British colonial setting, allowing the Doctor Strange attraction to blend in nicely.

6. Perhaps the boardwalk and Caribbean concepts could be merged into one, and set within New Providence, the actual pirate utopia on Nassau in the 18th century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom