1902 Carthay Circle

spacemt354

Chili's
Sure, I would love to help brainstorm along with you. Thanks so much for asking me too.
Absolutely! This is the basic premise of what has been talked about so far - any thoughts on this? :)
So to reiterate, our park takes as its theme the entire world - specifically its culture, myth and natural beauty.

Think a good organizing principle and source of inspiration could be the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. They catalog the world's greatest natural sites, cultural/historical sites, and mixed sites.

Rather than dividing by continent like we're discussing, the World Heritage people have 5 "cultural region" categories: Africa, Arab States, Asia & the Pacific, Europe & North America, and Latin America & the Caribbean. (Following this, we could make 7 regions by splitting "North America" and "the Pacific AKA Oceania" into their own "lands.") This breakdown helps keep Aztec and Incan monuments (for example) grouped together even though they're on different continents.

Here's a list of all existing World Heritage Sites by country. Duplicating many of these would hopefully give us a very "Animal Kingdom meets EPCOT" flavor of edutainment with the potential for DisneySEA quality immersion.
Unesco-Graphic.jpg

Imagineer Brandon

i second that, it's a perfect way to go for the kind of nostalgia that main street invokes, just in a hong kong flavor rather than an american one. i'm going to say that introducing animals into the park is more trouble than it's worth, though i think it'd be fine if they were contained to mostly one area away from the more busy places in the park.

D Hulk

Can we have a Scandinavian village in the Europe land? I've always loved the idea of a Scandinavian Waterfront village with themed shops and a few dark rides.
@D Hindley @DisneyFan18 thoughts on this?

I think it would be interesting, kind of like a snowy harbor I'm picturing
It could be interesting, but possibly redundant since Hong Kong Disneyland is getting an entire Frozen land.

I've been looking over World Heritage Site lists, trying to get an idea of what settings we could have for each continent/land. There's a TON of great stuff to work with! :D The challenge will be narrowing some of it down.

Hopefully by tomorrow I can present some of the cool sites, places which could fit a theme park setting beautifully. Which continent shall we look at first?

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
It could be interesting, but possibly redundant since Hong Kong Disneyland is getting an entire Frozen land.

I've been looking over World Heritage Site lists, trying to get an idea of what settings we could have for each continent/land. There's a TON of great stuff to work with! :D The challenge will be narrowing some of it down.

Hopefully by tomorrow I can present some of the cool sites, places which could fit a theme park setting beautifully. Which continent shall we look at first?
Maybe Europe? Since we were discussing a Sacandinavian section, and I agree with your reasoning it could feel redundant, but maybe if we go with Vikings, it might feel different?

Disney Dad 3000

If going with the myth/folklore/literature/animal idea, I like the idea of breaking it up into regions of the world. Makes sense from a theming and grouping/land standpoint. The Asheboro zoo had grand designs when they first started many moons ago of doing all the continents for their natural animal exhibits but didn't get too far along, similar to AK with only a couple.

That UNESCO list @D Hindley posted is a great reference. One of my missions in life is to hit it as many of those as possible. Parsing down Europe will be tough. I imagine there's a heavy percentage concentrated there.

Any early thoughts on park icon and/or central attraction with this theme? That will really help set the stage for the vision and overall message. TDS kind of has the market on the whole volcano thing, and with the mountains behind the park, a mountain wouldnt make sense for an icon anyway. Was trying to think of something grand, but different like Victoria Falls or something, but not sure how you'd pull that off. Maybe recreate the library at Alexandria as something that would feed into each of the lands stories.

D Hulk

How to break down Europe? (@Disney Dad 3000 is correct, it is the epicenter for UNESCO sites.)

I think the UK ought to be represented due to its lengthy history with Hong Kong. That would also allow for stuff like a King Arthur attraction, which is something I think @TheOriginalTiki has discussed before.
27-july-blog-uk-stonehenge.jpg

Portugal has a lot of local history too, especially with Macau. Both it and UK have major naval components too.
Sintra.jpg

What else? Russian myth has some figures who are very similar to Thor and Loki (Perun and Veles) if we want to explore that style while avoiding both Frozen and MCU stuff.
fixedw_large_4x.jpg

Greece is also great for myth, and it has some lovely coastal sites.
syros.png

I'm a big fan of France and Mont St. Michel in particular (a mountaintop castle set on a tiny island).
MONT-SAINT-MICHEL-800-X-400-800x400.jpg

There's more to discuss, of course, but these stand out to me at the moment.

Lord of Thunder!
Seductive Lord of Thunder.

PerGron

So in looking at animals for our themed lands, I’ve determined that the Asian, African, Oceana/Australia, and Latin America and some North America could house live animals based on the climate of Hong Kong. That will really help to narrow down where live animals are. Europe just doesn’t have enough native wildlife to bother with so focusing entirely on mythology in that section is highly advisable.

Disney Dad 3000

How to break down Europe? (@Disney Dad 3000 is correct, it is the epicenter for UNESCO sites.)

I think the UK ought to be represented due to its lengthy history with Hong Kong. That would also allow for stuff like a King Arthur attraction, which is something I think @TheOriginalTiki has discussed before.
27-july-blog-uk-stonehenge.jpg

Portugal has a lot of local history too, especially with Macau. Both it and UK have major naval components too.
Sintra.jpg

What else? Russian myth has some figures who are very similar to Thor and Loki (Perun and Veles) if we want to explore that style while avoiding both Frozen and MCU stuff.
fixedw_large_4x.jpg

Greece is also great for myth, and it has some lovely coastal sites.
syros.png

I'm a big fan of France and Mont St. Michel in particular (a mountaintop castle set on a tiny island).
MONT-SAINT-MICHEL-800-X-400-800x400.jpg

There's more to discuss, of course, but these stand out to me at the moment.

Seductive Lord of Thunder.
Good call on UK.
Greece tends to be relied on a lot for mythos type things for good reason, but would be cool to stray from that for some thing different like Russia and or portugal.
Too bad Disneyland Seoul is using Mont saint Michel for its castle. ;)
So in looking at animals for our themed lands, I’ve determined that the Asian, African, Oceana/Australia, and Latin America and some North America could house live animals based on the climate of Hong Kong. That will really help to narrow down where live animals are. Europe just doesn’t have enough native wildlife to bother with so focusing entirely on mythology in that section is highly advisable.
That would work out well I think for UK going more the mythological creature route.

BlakeW39

Yeah, Europe has some wildlife but mostly all of its species can be found elsewhere. However since temperate Asia and Russia has such interesting wildlife, coupled with the fact that Russia is mostly in Asia, I think that Russia might be well represented in the Asia section. But I agree that Europe should focus on myths :) maybe we could have some mythological beasts though, such as dragons or unicorns ;)

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
I'm liking the direction this park is taking for sure - a riff on Beastly Kingdomme (our own version) could blend in really nicely to this park, even as part of this european mythology concept.
That would definitely make a nice land for the European One, I’m picturing BK, Arthurian, and a Greek Harbor with a Theater Show and a Whip Ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom