News “Zootopia” is being created for the Tree of Life theater

Twirlnhurl

but Biomes within a huge metropolis peopled with human-esque animals driving cars and trains and buses.... It feels just completely alien to the Animal Kingdom park... It feels to me exactly like Spaceship Earth being about agricultural products from Iowa...
It needs something original and compelling...something abut the whole spirit of the park...respecting nature and conservation and Animals... I don't think the "right Idea" has been discovered yet....
If it leans into the human aspects of the animals in the biomes, I may agree. But that is up to the execution. I don't think the concept itself is inherently doomed to fail.

If this actually comes to pass, we will see!

erasure fan1

This is the one that I think is just a really bad idea. It's the tree of life. Zootopia has very little connection outside of, Animals! Maybe if the movie had more of a conservation living with the environment theme, but it doesn't. I can't see this being anything but forced. If they want Zootopia in the parks, do it right. Put in a proper ride like Shanghai, into the studios.

tanc

I love ITTBAB, and it is a shame to see this is happening. For a park all about conservation, I wonder what they're even going to do with Zootopia.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I suspect the justification for this location (assuming any was sought) is that there are all kinds of animals carved into the tree.

mysto

Sadly Zootopia has Zoo in the name, so it MUST go in AK. Yet it has nothing to do with Zoos, so it CANNOT go in AK. Can't win for losing.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

Oh man.. the old animal kingdom sing a long my kids watch is going to make no sense… why is this ant hosting the sing a long and singing about bugs.. why are they doing a dinosaur dance 🤣

Chef idea Mickey`=

This was one of the most perfect implementations of IP into a park. I don’t know what they’re doing anymore.

They this time went with feedback instead sticking to their guns. If the Moana and Zootopia or first concept was to stay then likely Tough to be a Bug would remain! Had they went with criticism with Frozen Ever After in Epcot then would we likely had the first World of Arrendale in Magic Kingdom here at WDW???

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This is the one that I think is just a really bad idea. It's the tree of life. Zootopia has very little connection outside of, Animals! Maybe if the movie had more of a conservation living with the environment theme, but it doesn't. I can't see this being anything but forced. If they want Zootopia in the parks, do it right. Put in a proper ride like Shanghai, into the studios.
No it has no connection in your mind. The original attraction for the tree was to have been Lion King based.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I assume this will come with some updates to the projectors? When I saw the show over the summer, it seemed the clarity of the projections weren't the greatest (or maybe it's just my failing eyesight).

erasure fan1

No it has no connection in your mind. The original attraction for the tree was to have been Lion King based.
That's why I said "I think", I figured that was clear that it was my opinion. Are you saying the original idea being Lion King would be no better? Because at least Lion King has a message about the balance of nature. I'd take Lion King over Zootopia any day.

JMcMahonEsq

I never thought Tough to be a Bug made much sense for the theater in the tree of life. Sure, insects are an important part of the ecosystem, and getting close to the giant tree kind of makes you feel like you are shrinking.

But it always seemed to be a bit of a disconnect between Tough to be a Bug (specifically about the importance of insects) and the Tree of Life itself (a metaphor for the entire ecosystem).

It would be like if The Chinese Theater at DHS had a ride about just the importance of sound in movies, or if the ride in Spaceship Earth was about the agricultural products of Iowa.

For this reason, I think Zootopia could have the potential to be a better thematic fit, especially if it focuses on the different biomes.

I am cautiously optimistic!
Funny I always thought the going into/under the tree, in the ground where many bugs lived was a good fit/setting for the show.

This is one that I have to separate my subjective opinion from objectively the right business move.

Subjectively I loved TtbaB. It sprinkled some actual educational facts in with a campy fun setting. I loved the 4D elements with the water, the smoke, smell, and the bugs running under your seats.

However for young kids....it was scary shockfest. For most older kids/teenagers, it was lame. It was a 25yr old movie with no real connection to the audience.

Will a zootopia show be better? I don't know. Its more recent IP that is really appreciated internationally. I don't think it lends itself to the campy 3D type show that TtbaB was, but if you do it based on the biomes, then flash back to how animials evolved to fit into them biomes, and highlight how some animals thrive in one, but can't in others, promoting conservation and biome diversity, it could fill the edutainment slot pretty nicely. I don't think the location being within the tree of life adds much to that, and i will miss the goosing the audience out of their seats to end the show.

rd805

I love the idea -- it's an easy tie in for a newer IP (Bugs Life has dwindling relevance), meaning an upgraded theatre experience and newer show. It will eat up crowds MORE than the former. If they have to get Zootopia in to a park, this is a very reasonable attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom