News “Zootopia” is being created for the Tree of Life theater

JustInTime

The Tree of Life was literally and thematically built on this ride. Bugs were a very important and overlooked part of our ecosystems.

But the movie is no longer relevant and climate change is killing them off so guess this makes sense.
The tree was designed first. A lion King show was planned to go there first before switching to bugs from my understanding.

rct247

It's Tough to be Bug was another show that had capacity that wasn't being fully utilized. It was also a show from 1998 and was 25 years old. It was great show and perfect fit, but it was due for a replacement.

I'm happy with Zootopia appearing here rather than Dinoland. It'll be interesting like people have said to see the story of how you are there and how it is worked into the story of the Tree of Life.

One thought that I feel somewhat cautionary to whisper into existence, but what if Discovery Island becomes a version of the Zootopia land. The Tree of Life could somehow fit into a similar biome to the Rainforest District. You could be entering some sort of venue located within a neighborhood of Zootopia.

I don't necessarily wish this, but just thoughts.

Advisable Joseph

Interesting to note that with the replacement of both It's Tough To Be A Bug and Dinosaur, 2 of the most scary (non-supernatural) attractions are being removed from WDW
Tough to be a Bug? I guess they went overboard with the seat effects.

Dinosaur? Keep in mind that right now, the revamp will feature Indiana Jones! So, snakes, worms and bugs in the beginning, and I've got a feeling dinosaurs at the end, as others here have said.

Bocabear

I wonder if then they will start trying to add Urban and city elements to the theater to seat the characters into the location... The Tree of Life seems like such an important location in the park to put something in that has nothing to do with the Animal Kingdom... Anthropomorphic animals with human emotions and brains seems so completely wrong.
Yes! It's tough to be a bug has gotten stale over the decades, but this seems like a very misplaced idea that will neither please the Zootopia Fans that want a "land" and real attraction, or the DAK purists that don't see this as an appropriate addition to this park...

JustInTime

I wonder if then they will start trying to add Urban and city elements to the theater to seat the characters into the location... The Tree of Life seems like such an important location in the park to put something in that has nothing to do with the Animal Kingdom... Anthropomorphic animals with human emotions and brains seems so completely wrong.
Yes! It's tough to be a bug has gotten stale over the decades, but this seems like a very misplaced idea that will neither please the Zootopia Fans that want a "land" and real attraction, or the DAK purists that don't see this as an appropriate addition to this park...
The focus will be on biomes.

James Alucobond

The artwork has the theater looking pretty much exactly the same. I doubt they’ll modify it much. It’s not like the idea of living inside a tree is completely foreign to the franchise; they have things like the Palm Hotel.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Won’t this be the first 3D/4D show Disney’s made since Philharmagic 20 years ago?

Hopefully next they’ll finally do something in the Imagination theater…
Do we think there's any chance they drop the 3D? I feel it's fallen pretty far out of favor, but I personally am a fan.

CampbellzSoup

I think we sometimes get upset their not using classic IP if they were to use something Zootopia just seems so new and contemporary for a park that’s main pull is nostalgia.

I do think had just updated the Bugs life show it would be more receptive for us old school fans or even something more thematic instead of a …city?

Twirlnhurl

I never thought Tough to be a Bug made much sense for the theater in the tree of life. Sure, insects are an important part of the ecosystem, and getting close to the giant tree kind of makes you feel like you are shrinking.

But it always seemed to be a bit of a disconnect between Tough to be a Bug (specifically about the importance of insects) and the Tree of Life itself (a metaphor for the entire ecosystem).

It would be like if The Chinese Theater at DHS had a ride about just the importance of sound in movies, or if the ride in Spaceship Earth was about the agricultural products of Iowa.

For this reason, I think Zootopia could have the potential to be a better thematic fit, especially if it focuses on the different biomes.

I am cautiously optimistic!

Bocabear

I never thought Tough to be a Bug made much sense for the theater in the tree of life. Sure, insects are an important part of the ecosystem, and getting close to the giant tree kind of makes you feel like you are shrinking.

But it always seemed to be a bit of a disconnect between Tough to be a Bug (specifically about the importance of insects) and the Tree of Life itself (a metaphor for the entire ecosystem).

It would be like if The Chinese Theater at DHS had a ride about just the importance of sound in movies, or if the ride in Spaceship Earth was about the agricultural products of Iowa.

For this reason, I think Zootopia could have the potential to be a better thematic fit, especially if it focuses on the different biomes.

I am cautiously optimistic!
but Biomes within a huge metropolis peopled with human-esque animals driving cars and trains and buses.... It feels just completely alien to the Animal Kingdom park... It feels to me exactly like Spaceship Earth being about agricultural products from Iowa...
It needs something original and compelling...something abut the whole spirit of the park...respecting nature and conservation and Animals... I don't think the "right Idea" has been discovered yet....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom