News “Zootopia” is being created for the Tree of Life theater

cookiee_munster

Sad that bug is leaving. I'm surprised by how many people dislike the show, reading comments over on social media. I didn't realise that a lot of people didn't like it. I guess it's time for an update, and like so many others have said. I'd take this Zootopia overlay over what was blue skied to replace Dinosaur. If they have to shoehorn this IP into somewhere, I guess being the bug replacement is ok. It's not ideal, but a nice compromise.

Bocabear

They had the theater and own the characters....there is no reason they could not have updated the show in the last 20 years... Much like Innoventions in EPCOT, they had to tear a building down because they could not think of a replacement....which is really sad. What was once the most creative and innovative entertainment company in the world cannot or will not update and refresh their attractions.

JMcMahonEsq

They had the theater and own the characters....there is no reason they could not have updated the show in the last 20 years... Much like Innoventions in EPCOT, they had to tear a building down because they could not think of a replacement....which is really sad. What was once the most creative and innovative entertainment company in the world cannot or will not update and refresh their attractions.
For a show like TtbaB I am not sure what updating looks like.

The show itself, the characters, the message, and the effects have not seemed to have aged badly, in the physical plant sense. I don't ever remember going into the theater and the 3D not working, or the water spray/smell, ect. All the physical aspects of the theater always seemed to work.

There does come a point when the IP itself becomes stale. Unless sequels or tv show tie ins come out, people just stop having a connection with the characters. I don't see Bugs Life having the same legacy factor as Lion King, or Little Mermaid, ect. That could be some subjective bias as I and my family have enjoyed those movies more, but I don't think I am far off.

So when it comes to a show like this, I think at some point you are not talking about an update, but a complete shift in the show from one IP to another. You can argue maybe the shift should/could have happened earlier, but I think you're always going to be talking about a complete transition.

The other thing that makes the transition hard is the location of the show. It's not like this is just a theater building that you can re-skin to fit whatever show is going on inside. With it being within the Tree of Life getting the dynamics of a show that fits that venue is going to be a challenge also. Still I think Zootopia isn't a bad attempt at it.

cjkeating

I am recently back from Florida and when walking down the ITTBAB queue I literally said "how has this attraction got one of the best queues ever designed?" I know it isn't flashy but sometimes simple just works. A nice little trail to start, then you start descending, then you enter some tunnels, then you see the animal carvings in the roots, then you look up and the tree above you feels massive then you enter the holding area and you are ant sized. Toy Story Land would kill for a transition like this as opposed to "you are small now."

This does have the potential to feel like if Philharmagic was put in the Muppet Theatre - looking at you DCA.

Now this is a weird thought... but I feel like they could have made a more appropriate show for the Tree of Life Theatre using Ant Man as an IP than Zootopia...?

No Name

I don’t get it, are they not updating and refreshing this attraction?

ToTBellHop

also kinda funny how everyone hates on Zootopia for the animals acting too human (don't look now but A Bug's Life also has animals and settings that are very human, gasp!)
Saint Rohde explains it’s okay because Flik wears a hat made of leaves instead of actual pants. Once you put on pants, you don’t belong. That’s why I always take my pants off on the bus ride over. I don’t want any fanboys to be uncomfortable.

James Alucobond

Saint Rohde explains it’s okay because Flik wears a hat made of leaves instead of actual pants. Once you put on pants, you don’t belong. That’s why I always take my pants off on the bus ride over. I don’t want any fanboys to be uncomfortable.
Do you also slip into a too-short shirt and Winnie-the-Pooh it?

UNCgolf

also kinda funny how everyone hates on Zootopia for the animals acting too human (don't look now but A Bug's Life also has animals and settings that are very human, gasp!)

Not on the same level, though. They're of course anthropomorphized to an extent (or else they wouldn't even be able to talk) and there are some things like the circus and "city" that are closer to humanity, but for the most part they're still living as insects in A Bug's Life. The city is made of leftover garbage. They aren't driving cars and living in a modern human city with skyscrapers and a structure with police, a DMV, etc. -- they're closer to the animals of Lion King than the ones of Zootopia.

Regardless, they used A Bug's Life characters to teach about insects (at least to an extent), so it worked for the park. Zootopia can work in that regard too if they do it correctly.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

I feel like there is untapped potential from both Social media and the regular media to really hammer Disney hard for shifting away from themes of conservation and education in order to just promote IP that they are going to pump out endless sequels and merchandise for during a period where we need to be all hands on deck fighting climate change.

I’m talking generally about stripping science out in both DAK and Epcot. Almost as if the current people in charge don’t understand the design and ideas behind these parks

They didn’t build these different parks just to have 4 different places to promote “brands”

Cmdr_Crimson

I’m talking generally about stripping science out in both DAK and Epcot. Almost as if the current people in charge don’t understand the design and ideas behind these parks

They didn’t build these different parks just to have 4 different places to promote “brands”
This is why I still think Animal Kingdom will Become Disney's Adventure Kingdom after Epic Universe opens as they'll see a big slump in attendance just to keep guests on property.. It reminds me of the Sea World parks after the the fish debacle and they have decided to focus more on rides and not animal exhibits. Now, SWO has a big coaster lineup that is bringing guests back.

Tom Morrow

I feel like there is untapped potential from both Social media and the regular media to really hammer Disney hard for shifting away from themes of conservation and education in order to just promote IP that they are going to pump out endless sequels and merchandise for during a period where we need to be all hands on deck fighting climate change.

Yep. What is the justification for four theme parks when they all offer the same synergy-focused experiences? Each one is supposed to offer a different experience to visitors.

Instead, they become like... shopping plazas. "Should we go to shopping plaza A? They have a McDonalds and Chipotle. Or we could go to shopping plaza B - they have a McDonald's and a Panera."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom