News “Zootopia” is being created for the Tree of Life theater

No Name

Maybe the whole point of the blue sky stuff last year was to prepare people for the worst and then do something slight better?

While It’s Tough to Be a Bug made a lot more sense being inside of a tree, I don’t think this is a bad idea. Lol they got me!

Dan Deesnee

I do think it's a shame, because there is some real education possibilities with doing a Zootopia land. The ecology and biome opportunities would be very exciting. However, I don't trust current leadership or Imaginering to actually pull any of that off.

Zootopia will come to Animal Kingdom though at some point. It's pretty much all but guaranteed because the tie in is just too strong, regardless of if it's a great fit in the minds of super fans like us.

drnilescrane

As somebody who does like the IP I'm also relieved they went in this direction. I really didn't like the story they picked for the Shanghai attraction. This instead gives an opportunity for some positive world building focusing on what makes the story of the movie great - rather than just a rehash of Crazy Animal City.

It's telling Judy's not in uniform in the artwork. Hopefully we get a new meet and greet.

doctornick

Best possible outcome for Zootopia integration in this park, honestly. Minimal visibility, and hopefully there is follow-through on using the humanimals primarily as hosts to discuss biomes.
Yep. Realistically the different biomes of Zootopia are actually a good concept to explore in DAK and doing them as part of a movie can work effectively. They can certainly review how different (real life) animals are adapted to distinct environments. It’s the urban setting of Zootopia is what would stick out at DAK and doesn’t seem like it would be an issue here.

SplashJacket

A new show based on “Zootopia” is being created for the Tree of Life theater at Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

The current concept for the new “Zootopia” experience has guests visiting the different biomes you only glimpse in the film, traveling along with Judy Hopps, Nick Wilde and other characters.
If they're visiting the different biomes, perhaps it will explain the differences between the biomes, why they're important, why biodiversity is important, and what we can/need to do in order to protect them? The major hold-up for me is the justification of humanoid animals, but that's an inherent issue with the IP at Animal Kingdom. Perhaps this is the most digestible manner of Zootopia integration at Animal Kingdom.
Bug needed replacement. Better than nothing.
This was one of the most perfect implementations of IP into a park. I don’t know what they’re doing anymore.
Unfortunately, while ITTBAB was literally a perfect implementation of IP, it just wasn't very popular, kids found it scary, and honestly, no one I took shared my enthusiasm afterward.
I’d much rather they replace its tough to be a bug with Zootopia than putting it in Dino Land, I’d say this is a win.

Also happy that it seems to focus on the different biomes.

Interested to see how they get us from the roots of the tree of life into the world of Zootopia though, that might be a weird transition
I agree, I would much rather sacrifice a replaceable film to Zootopia than a whole land/Dinosaur. Part of what made ITTBAB so great was it seamlessly worked from entrance to queue to show to finish. I'm not sure what the justification will be for having the world of Zootopia within the Tree of Life. Sure it's a theater, but there are also empty theaters in other parks. I don't see how Zootopia thematically works in any way. Also not sure what the film will be about. ITTBAB was one of the most immersive experiences at any theme park anywhere (which is really weird to say about a screen show), but thematically, it has no gaps from start to finish.

I hope they can execute well on Zootopia, but if we're losing the unpopular ITTBAB, can't say I'm that angry.

Nottamus

Truth is- they’ll build it, they’ll open it - and if there’s still some sort of park reservations in AKL that opening day- they’ll be sold out

Timothy_Q

On one hand ITTBAB had perfect thematic integration into the park and the tree of life

On the other hand 3D shows (and live shows for that matter) should be changed AT LEAST every 20 years IMO

And on the 3rd hand, as everyone has said, this is the least offensive way to add Zootopia to DAK. If you're gonna have anthropomorphic animals in the park, Discovery Island is the place for it

Last edited:

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Is *anything* they announced today actually happening, other than Test Track, since someone else is paying that bill??
Country Bears refurb seems most likely since that was the only one with any sort of timeline attatched to it, albeit very vague

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom