Masks at WDW

Would you go to WDW if you had to wear a mask

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Letteyeti

I have lived in Florida my whole life and yeah it has been hot so I am use to that. If wearing a mask in the Disney parks is a rule and I want to get into a Disney park then yep I am gonna wear a mask. If it is something I really want to do than I might have to sacrifice wearing a mask for sometime. Now I do have to make this statement I am a local who makes day trips and at the end of the day I go home so there is a big difference in my day then a Disney guest who is vacationing I guess. My family can really choose whenever they feel like it to call it a day and head back to the car and go home 30 minutes away. We aren't really blowing that much money in the process as a Disney vacation guest.

Parker in NYC

I have no problem with choice where masks are concerned. No one should be prohibited from wearing one, and as others have mentioned, there would probably be less spreading of colds and flu in general if people wore them when they are sick. If it's true, as you say, that they "haven't proved that it helps nor have they proved that they don't help," then I don't see the common sense in mandating that people wear them.

I imagine we won't make it to August at Disney without a mask revolt. The revolt practically began before it... began.

Benjamin_Nicholas

It's not that simple when the experts can't agree on whether or not face masks do any good at all, let alone the "greater good." The WHO just came out and said that asymptomatic spread, which many use to justify masks, is very rare. Their position seems to be that masks may do some good even though there is no direct evidence of this, so why not wear them.

I have a feeling that things will "normalize" at Disney as soon as they are able to handle larger crowds. Right now the restrictions keep the crowds low, which is what governments and health officials are recommending.

But the 'experts' aren't the issue. Disney is a private company with all of the rights that come with it. They say masks, you comply or don't show up to the park. It's just that simple. It's always going to be their prerogative.

Even in the event it's just window-dressing, it makes a lot of people feel they're safer and doing something good.

Human nature is a funny, fickle thing, but if that allows theme parks to open now instead of waiting for a vaccine, they're going to push the safest narrative that allows them to continue making money.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
But the 'experts' aren't the issue. Disney is a private company with all of the rights that come with it. They say masks, you comply or don't show up to the park. It's just that simple. It's always going to be their prerogative.

Even in the event it's just window-dressing, it makes a lot of people feel they're safer and doing something good.

Human nature is a funny, fickle thing, but if that allows theme parks to open now instead of waiting for a vaccine, they're going to push the safest narrative that allows them to continue making money.
Hopefully, though, Disney will consider whether what they’re requiring people do do is reasonable in terms of doing some good. They can make whatever rules they want, but I’ve never found their rules to be capricious. I would hope their reason is not “window-dressing” even if they have a right to adopt that reason. There are some who feel safer if people are wearing masks and others (I’m betting a larger number) who won’t go to WDW as long as masks are required.

I don’t think anyone has ever said Disney can’t make whatever rules they want, and of course people should follow them. Only time will tell how long these restrictions will prove viable. If face masks are shown to be highly effective in preventing spread of the disease, there’s more incentive to enforce compliance. My concern is having a bunch of people just paying lip service to the requirement by constantly pulling down masks and Disney making half-hearted attempts at enforcement instead of abandoning the requirement.

Last edited:

MagicRat

I wear a mask for my profession. Wearing one for recreational use just doesn’t seem like a good time. I will put my uses to learning a new hobby or three until that time comes when it is safe to enjoy life again. When I need to go out for supplies or services the mask is on out of respect for others and my safety.

disneygeek90

I imagine we won't make it to August at Disney without a mask revolt. The revolt practically began before it... began.
The mask revolt is mostly keyboard warriors. I saw very little "revolting" in 3 days at Universal over the weekend.

People shouldn't think about walking into theme parks if they've already made it up in their head that they won't follow the rules.

Goofyernmost

I have no problem with choice where masks are concerned. No one should be prohibited from wearing one, and as others have mentioned, there would probably be less spreading of colds and flu in general if people wore them when they are sick. If it's true, as you say, that they "haven't proved that it helps nor have they proved that they don't help," then I don't see the common sense in mandating that people wear them.
Because it is to prevent deaths and if one group says that they work and another group says they don't work, one of them is wrong. Just because there is one that your agenda favors doesn't mean that it is the one that is true. That is why I said until the agreement is unanimous I plan on going with the one that might save my life and others. It's a small price to pay. We have nothing to lose by err on the side of caution and a lot to lose if it might have kept you or a loved one alive to enjoy another trip to WDW. Is it really worth taking the chance? I don't see how.

disneygeek90

Because it is to prevent deaths and if one group says that they work and another group says they don't work, one of them is wrong. Just because there is one that your agenda favors doesn't mean that it is the one that is true. That is why I said until the agreement is unanimous I plan on going with the one that might save my life and others. It's a small price to pay. We have nothing to lose by err on the side of caution and a lot to lose if it might have kept you or a loved one alive to enjoy another trip to WDW. Is it really worth taking the chance? I don't see how.
Agree. There's a lot more to lose by potentially not wearing masks if they work (even if a little) vs wearing masks if they really don't work.

It's worth a shot at the expense of a little annoyance. I'd rather try something than nothing.

Astro_Digital

Agree. There's a lot more to lose by potentially not wearing masks if they work (even if a little) vs wearing masks if they really don't work.

It's worth a shot at the expense of a little annoyance. I'd rather try something than nothing.

Wrong people keep saying masks protect yourself, the idea is it helps stop you from infecting somebody.
Of course I read today a new study shows COVID rarely spreads from people without signs of COVID

disneygeek90

Wrong people keep saying masks protect yourself, the idea is it helps stop you from infecting somebody.
Of course I read today a new study shows COVID rarely spreads from people without signs of COVID
Wasn't it clarified that was regarding asymptotic individuals, not pre-symptomatic?

And yes, I was referring to keeping myself from infecting somebody.

Goofyernmost

Hopefully, though, Disney will consider whether what they’re requiring people do do is reasonable in terms of doing some good. They can make whatever rules they want, but I’ve never found their rules to be capricious. I would hope their reason is not “window-dressing” even if they have a right to adopt that reason. There are some who feel safer if people are wearing masks and others (I’m betting a larger number) who won’t go to WDW as long as masks are required.

I don’t think anyone has ever said Disney can’t make whatever rules they want, and of course people should follow them. Only time will tell how long these restrictions will prove viable. If face masks are shown to be highly effective in preventing spread of the disease, there’s more incentive to enforce compliance. My concern is having a bunch of people just paying lip service to the requirement by constantly pulling down masks and Disney making half-hearted attempts at enforcement instead of abandoning the requirement.
It's not about doing some good... It's about doing no harm.

Disstevefan1

Orange County update:
After months of this “plague” that has “ravaged” our populous and decimated our local economy, in a county that has 1.4 million residents, we’ve had a grand total of...wait for it...45 total deaths attributed to coronavirus. Of course that includes people who contacted it while basically kicking down death’s door.

Did I hear a mike drop ? :)👍

Goofyernmost

That is incorrect information. CDC clarified what they said today. The fact of the matter is that logically wearing a mask will help, in even a small way to prevent both the wearer and the other person from getting contact.
Wasn't it clarified that was regarding asymptotic individuals, not pre-symptomatic?

And yes, I was referring to keeping myself from infecting somebody.
Yes, it is a very confusing situation, but we are tending to oversimplify it for our own mental benefit even if it puts our physical being in danger.
Orange County update:
After months of this “plague” that has “ravaged” our populous and decimated our local economy, in a county that has 1.4 million residents, we’ve had a grand total of...wait for it...45 total deaths attributed to coronavirus. Of course that includes people who contacted it while basically kicking down death’s door.
Could you post a source please. And remember, not everyone lives in whatever county you live in. We have approx 1.2 million people here in the country that includes Raleigh and we only have 41 deaths but the other counties do not do as well. It might be because the people in the industrial triangle tend to take more precautions then others. So basically this has been a good thing because it has been cleaning out the weakest of our population. They probably didn't want to live anyway.

disneygeek90

Could you post a source please. And remember, not everyone lives in whatever county you live in. We have approx 1.2 million people here in the country that includes Raleigh and we only have 41 deaths but the other counties do not do as well. It might be because the people in the industrial triangle tend to take more precautions then others. So basically this has been a good thing because it has been cleaning out the weakest of our population. They probably didn't want to live anyway.
The 45 Orange County deaths is accurate. But we also had our highest day of positive cases yesterday. So... perhaps we haven't even hit the peak.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's not about doing some good... It's about doing no harm.
I'm also in the most vulnerable age group, and I certainly respect your right to hold the opinions that you do. But people are different in respect to how much risk they are willing to tolerate as well as how much freedom they are willing to relinquish compared to how much good is likely to result. As a society, we elect representatives to reconcile those conflicting opinions, and I believe everyone should follow the rules that result whether or not they agree with them.

Our May 2020 trip didn't happen, and October is looking iffy - we won't go if masks are required. But I fervently hope that by our next planned vacation in May 2021 that masks will no longer be required. At that point, if the virus is under control to the point that the government is no longer requiring masks, I hope Disney won't either. I would probably be more willing to wear a mask "even if it only prevents one death" at a doctor's office or grocery store, where people need to be. Disney is a vacation venue - at some point, if people consider the risk too great, it will need to become their personal choice to stay away. That's the other way they can avoid the disease and stay alive, and it probably will work better than masks.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Disney will go HARDER on those who come in and try to skirt the mask rule. They know they're being watched very closely.

Uni is dealing with the same thing now and seemingly, doing well. They're policing. People are abiding.

The optics of this are very, very important. Disney isn't willing to screw this up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom