Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

CAV

Well its a safe assumption if you ask me and honestly if you are running a budget that tight where say an extra 5-600 is a big deal. You may want to reconsider things just my thoughts on the subject
For me, its not the actual dollar but the value. We earn in the top 5% of wages in America. We can easily afford deluxe hotels and genie+. I just don't see the value in them. 20 years ago when I made 10X less money than I make today, I didn't think twice about splurging for deluxe. Today, I pick moderate hotels mostly based on the lowest price.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For me, its not the actual dollar but the value. We earn in the top 5% of wages in America. We can easily afford deluxe hotels and genie+. I just don't see the value in them. 20 years ago when I made 10X less money than I make today, I didn't think twice about splurging for deluxe. Today, I pick moderate hotels mostly based on the lowest price.
…with that kinda talk…you’re gonna get thrown out of Denver

Lilofan

Some like me shared the same mindset. Could I afford deluxe ? Yes but we choose to either stay off property for less and splurge on other aspects on the vacation. A hotel room is a place just to sleep for several hours a night since most of the time we are out enjoying what WDW has to offer.

Nubs70

I would love to subscribe to the theory that they are running attractions at less than full to sell more G+ but I don't know how they would pull that off. I think it would be noticeable on most rides.
If 1 of 2 load areas are in use, are they pushing 2x ride vehicles through the operating load area?

Laketravis

Hell, I would gladly pay $20K for a week at Disney if I could go back to the Contemporary Resort like things were in 2010 when we had water boats to rent, dining plan with appetizer/entree/dessert, great tours, etc.

My week after Thanksgiving that very same year staying at the Contemporary with free dining, renting the little boats one afternoon, MK staying open until 2am one night, pulling FP's every two hours, stone crab claws on the Chef Mickey buffet and chocolate martinis that actually came with the chocolate straw, etc..... was by far the best visit we've had in 14 years. And it only cost us $3800.

crispy

My grown "kids" and grandkids have no interest in WDW at all, due to their ages and due to the well known situation at WDW compared to when they were younger. They love Universal, SEa World, etc, so Disney has lost another 2 generations of "kids" who are not interested. I think that losing us and future generations will one day bite them in the b*tt . We were disney fanatics, but now are Universal fanatics. I just spent 5 days there and it was Not enough time to explore it all and take it all in. Next time I am going for a week or so. I still have some nostalgia for WDW but not enough to make me want to go back anymore.

I also agree with this. My kids are older teenagers who grew up going to Disney yearly. We visited Universal for the first time in 2019, and we all fell in love with it. They are both so excited about Epic Universe and have been following the building progress on social media. They have pretty much have lost interest in WDW. We now go to Orlando to visit Universal instead of WDW which I wouldn't have thought possible a few years ago.

When it comes down to it, Universal is fun and easy and WDW is just complicated. My life is stressful enough. I don't want to pay for the privilege of being stressed out on vacation.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I'm guessing a number of kids go through an "I'm too old for Disney" phase, and think it's more grown up to visit Universal.

They'll likely come back later.

Dranth

I don't think the "my family now loves going to Universal" is all that abnormal once kids hit a certain age group. For example, I went to Disney parks as a kid, went to USF late teens and early 20s as it was more "fun", I could care less about most Disney stuff at those ages. As I got into my late 20s and early 30s I started drifting back to Disney and started going to WDW a lot more as what I was looking for in a vacation started to change.

JMcMahonEsq

I also agree with this. My kids are older teenagers who grew up going to Disney yearly. We visited Universal for the first time in 2019, and we all fell in love with it. They are both so excited about Epic Universe and have been following the building progress on social media. They have pretty much have lost interest in WDW. We now go to Orlando to visit Universal instead of WDW which I wouldn't have thought possible a few years ago.

When it comes down to it, Universal is fun and easy and WDW is just complicated. My life is stressful enough. I don't want to pay for the privilege of being stressed out on vacation.
No obviously I don't know your kids, so I this becomes a clear assumption, but I don't think the trend of teenagers losing their appear for WDW for other parks has as much to do with WDW being complicated (my teens and most of them I know don't find genie_+ any more complicated than grub hub/uber eats/snap chat.)

Different people, of different ages and thrill levels want different things. It is difficult to impossible to market yourself to truly target all those different markets. Disney does a great job marketing to younger kids, and kids starting to transition from baby rides to ones with slightly more excitement to them. I also think they do a great job for people like me where even as an adult I am not getting on anything with the word "coaster in it.

But in my mind teenagers/older teenagers are not a market that WDW is ever going to win over, at least on a macro level. Sure some kids will be Disney for life, but let's face it, even kids who grew up on Disney will in their teenage years start to either actually grow out of it, or think/act like they are growing out of it as they go through their too cool for school, growing pains years. Or, they want to start experiencing bigger, faster, more exciting rides.

pigglewiggle

We were looking to book Royal Pacific at Universal next March, 2025. Rooms are coming up between $700 and $800.

Is that the norm or are we picking a bad time? Easter isn't until late April that year. Is it due to Epic Universe?

Would you suggest a different Universal hotel? We haven't stayed at one yet, so not sure what to pick.

twilight mitsuk

We were looking to book Royal Pacific at Universal next March, 2025. Rooms are coming up between $700 and $800.

Is that the norm or are we picking a bad time? Easter isn't until late April that year. Is it due to Epic Universe?

Would you suggest a different Universal hotel? We haven't stayed at one yet, so not sure what to pick.
Spring break

wannabeBelle

Thanks, I figured. Unfortunately that's the best time for us next year. Will think on it.
Some of the other Uni hotels are significantly less money but you wouldnt get the Express Pass option with booking the room there. I love Aventura, Sapphire Falls and Cabana Bay resort. Also booking off the Spring Break holidays would be less expensive as well. I hope this inforamtion helps!! Marie

Lilofan

We stayed at Hard Rock at UO. Very nice stay at the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom