Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Nevermore525

Does anyone know how much impact DVC has on hotel bookings? Before we bought our points, we were traveling with friends and family and booking hotels rooms. Port Orleans was our favorite place to stay, but we haven't stayed there in many years.
DVC rooms being booked lowers the reported available room nights from Disney. Disney’s reported occupancy data only pertains to cash bookings. So if less DVC Rooms are booked (such as mid-2020 during the reopening) the available room nights is considerably higher for a reporting period.

Disstevefan1

Blocked rooms are still counted among the available room nights in their reporting data. So whether a room is closed off or not, it doesn’t matter in regards to what they report in their SEC filing:
“Available hotel room nights is defined as the total number of room nights that are available at our hotels and at Disney Vacation Club (DVC) properties located at our theme parks and resorts that are not utilized by DVC members. Available hotel room nights include rooms temporarily taken out of service.”
Makes sense because if Iger could have manipulated numbers he would have.

pixargal

DVC rooms being booked lowers the reported available room nights from Disney. Disney’s reported occupancy data only pertains to cash bookings. So if less DVC Rooms are booked (such as mid-2020 during the reopening) the available room nights is considerably higher for a reporting period.
This is interesting, it appears then that they go hand in hand. I would have guessed the opposite. Is this analysis DVC rooms booked with points or cash?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is interesting, it appears then that they go hand in hand. I would have guessed the opposite. Is this analysis DVC rooms booked with points or cash?
Very few declared dvc rooms are booked on a cash basis - relatively speaking. So it’s not really worth considering “occupancy rates” with them.

It works both ways…if occupancy is “low”, dvc is often still pretty solid and they aren’t a ghost town. The oppo is if they are struggling to fill rooms and rates dip…those are the potential “whales” that Bob and Bob both claimed couldn’t resist the place.

evidence to the contrary

pixargal

Very few declared dvc rooms are booked on a cash basis - relatively speaking. So it’s not really worth considering “occupancy rates” with them.

It works both ways…if occupancy is “low”, dvc is often still pretty solid and they aren’t a ghost town. The oppo is if they are struggling to fill rooms and rates dip…those are the potential “whales” that Bob and Bob both claimed couldn’t resist the place.

evidence to the contrary
Yes, that is what I was originally curious about. How many of us, Disney loyalists, who, many years ago booked hotels, but now use points to stay instead, has made an impact on resort bookings? Have they robbed Peter to pay Paul? The resorts became the best part of a Disney vacation and I hope they return many of the resort offerings so that they can lure back "the whales".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, that is what I was originally curious about. How many of us, Disney loyalists, who, many years ago booked hotels, but now use points to stay instead, has made an impact on resort bookings? Have they robbed Peter to pay Paul? The resorts became the best part of a Disney vacation and I hope they return many of the resort offerings so that they can lure back "the whales".
Rooms are not a profit center. Just as upfront dvc sales aren’t either

You will see tons of people say the opposite…but that’s not why it was designed.

It was just to lock in people with regularity to show up and purchase disposable goods at high margin. Merch in particular.

It’s worked. They’ve made 10 of billions of real earnings off dvc. The trade off is they don’t get as much of a per day return on them. But a fool with 20 years of dvc and half their family there and a clear path to the bar is not something TWDC ever regretted

pixargal

Rooms are not a profit center. Just as upfront dvc sales aren’t either

You will see tons of people say the opposite…but that’s not why it was designed.

It was just to lock in people with regularity to show up and purchase disposable goods at high margin. Merch in particular.

It’s worked. They’ve made 10 of billions of real earnings off dvc. The trade off is they don’t get as much of a per day return on them. But a fool with 20 years of dvc and half their family there and a clear path to the bar is not something TWDC ever regretted
There are some fun bars on property!

fgmnt

evidence to the contrary
Tangentially, offlining floors or buildings at POFQ for maintenance and rehab might be technically true in that someone is going into one room every day to change a lightbulb, but those Bay Lake Tower units will be as available as possible with soft good refreshes delayed in the macro and expedited in the micro.

bwr827

Does anyone know when “waves” of rooms are made available?

I had hoped to book Pop Century for early December but nothing available currently. Booked All-Star Music instead.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
This all well and good, but whatever the reasons rooms are starting to not be available, I'm happy we decided to book now and get what we wanted rather than leave it to closer to trip and then the category is gone.
The problem with your choice is that category would never become unavailable. As they sell the scarce room type, they just add a few more. It will appear that only a few are left but it will be that way forever.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
A defunct company Enron tried being the smartest guys in the room but I doubt Disney would follow suit.
This is very common in the hospitality industry. There is nothing illegal about it. We did this frequently with our hotel on the booking sites and it is perfectly legal. When you see 1 room left on the hotels resale sites, it just mean I have fifteen of that type and will add another to the inventory when someone books it.
Blocked rooms are still counted among the available room nights in their reporting data. So whether a room is closed off or not, it doesn’t matter in regards to what they report in their SEC filing:
“Available hotel room nights is defined as the total number of room nights that are available at our hotels and at Disney Vacation Club (DVC) properties located at our theme parks and resorts that are not utilized by DVC members. Available hotel room nights include rooms temporarily taken out of service.”
This is a lie. "out of service" is how you don't have to report a room as inventory. A room without a working toilet or P-Tech air conditioner can not be rented and is out of service. Also if you are doing a refurb and the rooms are under construction of some sort they are not in your inventory. There are many other reasons, but one of them is if you do not have the staffing to service the rooms. It does not matter if you don't have enough employees to service the rooms, or your choose not to staff employees you have. I owned a hotel three miles from WDW for many years. Occupancy is a shell game. The quote from WDW you put out has the word "temporarily" in it. That would be a room that would be a room taken offline for a short period due to a housekeeping or another problem a guest or a staff member discovered when getting the room ready. An "out of service room" is never counted in inventory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom