Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Because absolute numbers are down, that's why. The proportion of young adults now hospitalized with COVID-19 is now between 20-40% of all cases, which is much higher than it was last year. I'll need to find the exact numbers from our weekly committee meeting, but these suggests that on an individual case basis, the chances of being hospitalized now from COVID-19 in the 19-40 demographic are about 2-3 times greater currently than in the same period last summer.

And don't forget PASC.
Due to the uneven vaccination rates, it makes sense that proportionally more hospitalizations are in the 19-40 demographic because they are much less vaccinated than the 65+ demographic which used to make up the lion's share of hospitalizations. I don't see how that translates to a 20 year old being 2-3 times more likely to end up hospitalized if they catch COVID than a year ago. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

ImperfectPixie

Due to the uneven vaccination rates, it makes sense that proportionally more hospitalizations are in the 19-40 demographic because they are much less vaccinated than the 65+ demographic which used to make up the lion's share of hospitalizations. I don't see how that translates to a 20 year old being 2-3 times more likely to end up hospitalized if they catch COVID than a year ago. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.
The rate of hospitalization in the 19-40 demographic has increased. Meaning that the Delta variant is more dangerous to that demographic than the UK variant was.

Disney Experience

So a short correspondence describing lab results of Pfizer , Moderna, and original covid subjects neutralizing ability against delta and kappa. In summary ( mind you this is my summary so give it less weight, see their paper for exactly the summary they used) :

neutralizing ability is 2.9 times less against delta vs original covid and 7.8 times less effective against kappa ( another variant from India).
Samples used are 1-3 months post convalescence. or vaccination.

They feel that even with the lower neutralization effect that they had detectable level of neutralization therefore the vaccines are still effective.

But in my opinion the lower effective neutralization decreases the effectiveness of the subject ( vs if they had original covid) to avoid symptomatic covid and transmission of the virus. Though it does show that the vaccines, or having had original covid, should provide help in slowing the virus while the memory b cells kick in. Leading to a better outcome than would occur otherwise.

hopemax

The loss of smell and/or taste is itself a life-altering symptom that everyone, young and old, should be keen to avoid.
And since it represents a brain injury, why would anyone want to play around with the possibility of more? It's not that your tongue or nose doesn't work. It means your brain doesn't work. I think many people would fear developing Alzheimer's, especially early onset. It would be the fate worse than death. Maybe COVID-19 infection won't increase frequency, but we don't know. We DO know the damage is near where it COULD. It's going to take years to prove it either way for sure. Long after you've already been infected.

correcaminos

Were you in a Pfizer or Moderna study? I am in the Pfizer study (received the placebo in July, got the real thing in January) and haven’t received a call yet. I wonder if I will.
Pfizer. Was vaccinated in September myself. Where I did my trial is a business that actually just does different trials if that makes sense, so not sure if that caused me to get called. I don't have a lot of details yet. They were waiting to know when next week they can schedule me from Pfizer (all has to be coordinated of course). When I hear more, I'll share.

Thank you so much for doing the trial too!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Pfizer. Was vaccinated in September myself. Where I did my trial is a business that actually just does different trials if that makes sense, so not sure if that caused me to get called. I don't have a lot of details yet. They were waiting to know when next week they can schedule me from Pfizer (all has to be coordinated of course). When I hear more, I'll share.

Thank you so much for doing the trial too!
Yes, mine was through a company called CNS Healthcare, which does exactly what you describe.

JoeCamel

Long COVID is vastly overblown, sorry. It's the final argument that people offer when you tell them a cohort isn't at risk of hospitalization or death from COVID. "Well what about LONG COVID?"

Largely, these people are losing their sense of smell. That's most of long COVID. It stinks and yeah they should get vaccinated to prevent it. But I can't argue for widespread masks, shut downs, distancing, restrictions to keep stubborn people from not being able to smell.
16 months after I say you lie. Speak from experience or shut up

bryanfze55

Anecdote about long COVID... I had a very subtle case of it (I think). I’m 99% certain I had COVID in February 2020. I had a slight fever and then severe cough that lasted for a week or two. And ever since then I had a minor, yet irritating, cough. I was never sick, but multiple times a day I would just start hacking. What’s crazy is that after getting vaccinated, the cough has gone away. When I heard about peoples’ symptoms clearing up after getting the vaccine, I was suspicious to say the least - I figured it was placebo effect. However, I’m much more convinced now.

correcaminos

Yes, mine was through a company called CNS Healthcare, which does exactly what you describe.
Cool! I had signed up with a couple places for the trials one being Pfizer-BioNTech and the other being AstraZeneca/Oxford. AZ/Oxford called me I think Nov or Dec and they were doing it at the local university, which is why I clarified where mine was. Please post if you get notified too!

lazyboy97o

So apparently the Tennessee state Department of Health will no longer advocate for minors to be vaccinated. Not just against COVID-19, but across the board. Should we applaud this “respect” for different “opinions”?

Tony the Tigger

So here is the chart of daily cases from Iowa which has a just OK vaccination rate (52%) and where the Delta variant accounted for over half of cases in the last two weeks of June and has been estimated to be 80% at this point.

View attachment 571984
Why, again, is there so much panic? Even with the increases in FL, FL's daily cases are still lower than at any point during the pandemic except for the brief period which preceded the increase.
Do you have to wait for the train to hit you before you know it’s coming?

Again?

ImperfectPixie

So apparently the Tennessee state Department of Health will no longer advocate for minors to be vaccinated. Not just against COVID-19, but across the board. Should we applaud this “respect” for different “opinions”?
They also fired the person responsible for state vaccinations (all vaccines...not just COVID) because she cited a Tennessee Supreme court ruling and sent out a memo to doctors that under certain circumstances, teenagers can be vaccinated without parent permission.

Wendy Pleakley

The fact that all the medical authorities cant get their messages straight frustrates me

I was told to mix AZ with mRNA due to superior immunity results. Now the WHO warns about the danger of mixing vaccine types...I was like "You gotta be kidding me?"

Murphys law will dictate two things..till our upcoming trip end of September, Floridas numbers will mimmik last years New York ones and US will not let mix and match vaccines in accross the border.

Yes I am a glass half full guy :)

Clarification that the WHO advises that mixing vaccines is fine if directed to do so by health authorities. What they warned against was people making such a decision on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom