Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Glimpses

And honestly, why does the CDC almost never bring up "long COVID" in their vaccination efforts? I see it once in a while but for the most part it's hospitalizations and death.

correcaminos

Long COVID is vastly overblown, sorry. It's the final argument that people offer when you tell them a cohort isn't at risk of hospitalization or death from COVID. "Well what about LONG COVID?"

Largely, these people are losing their sense of smell. That's most of long COVID. It stinks and yeah they should get vaccinated to prevent it. But I can't argue for widespread masks, shut downs, distancing, restrictions to keep stubborn people from not being able to smell.
Right... um no. Losing sense of smell is not what my long hauler friends delt with. I know quite a few. One out of work for 6 months. Another with heart issues for over a year. Another able to WFH part time but unable to do anything beyond that.... I could go on and just with my personal friends. So many embarassed because a young and healthy person shouldn't be out for months to a year....

Stop diminishing their struggles.

Disney Glimpses

Right... um no. Losing sense of smell is not what my long hauler friends delt with. I know quite a few. One out of work for 6 months. Another with heart issues for over a year. Another able to WFH part time but unable to do anything beyond that.... I could go on and just with my personal friends. So many embarassed because a young and healthy person shouldn't be out for months to a year....

Stop diminishing their struggles.
And anecdotally, that is not what I experienced. Maybe things evolved different. As I've said in the past I know personally about 70 people who got COVID right when it first hit in Feb/Mar 2020 and none dealt with anything long term other than loss of sense of smell.

That being said, regardless of long COVID or not, every single eligible person should get vaccinated. Whether we agree on the reasons why, at least let us agree on that.

ImperfectPixie

And anecdotally, that is not what I experienced. Maybe things evolved different. As I've said in the past I know personally about 70 people who got COVID right when it first hit in Feb/Mar 2020 and none dealt with anything long term other than loss of sense of smell.

That being said, regardless of long COVID or not, every single eligible person should get vaccinated. Whether we agree on the reasons why, at least let us agree on that.
The people you know should consider themselves VERY lucky.

Disney Glimpses

But I think that's the main point I'm trying to drill down here. Long COVID or not - the effects in healthy 20, 30 year olds is not all that apparent to most people. You can point to study after study all you want but most 20 or 30 year olds have friends who got COVID and are fine, for example. So screaming to them about the urgency to get the shot to protect themselves is more likely to make them not get it. Their experience, their knowledge of the virus doesn't translate to what is in those studies. So when you sound the alarm to them, as many are here, they look at you like you're crazy.

Open and honest conversations are more likely to garner participation.

"If you got it you'd be fine but there's a decent chance you'd lose your sense of smell and sometimes lingering brain fog and stuff can occur. Just get vaccinated and then you don't have to think about it"

Fear mongering pushes people away.

ImperfectPixie

But I think that's the main point I'm trying to drill down here. Long COVID or not - the effects in healthy 20, 30 year olds is not all that apparent to most people. You can point to study after study all you want but most 20 or 30 year olds have friends who got COVID and are fine, for example. So screaming to them about the urgency to get the shot to protect themselves is more likely to make them not get it. Their experience, their knowledge of the virus doesn't translate to what is in those studies.

Open and honest conversations are more likely to garner participation.
There have been many people who refused vaccination who are now being hospitalized or dying who said the exact same thing. That everyone they knew who had covid was fine.

ETA: People need to look beyond themselves and their own experiences when it comes to COVID. The news stories, the videos from hospital beds, etc. LISTEN TO THEM.

correcaminos

I'd say your group is lucky. I have lost count of how many I know caught it. The ones I spoke of were young too, so leaving out high risk and my friends who died.

All to say your definition of long haul is not what it really means. It means what my friends are struggling with - some over a year later though feeling better since the shot for some. One got worse after the shot too but a month or so later improved.

Diminishing long haul issues is not okay. So I suggest you please stop trying to pass off loss of smell or taste as the same thing as a long hauler. I know those too but they are a completely different category. Your anecdotes really are just that... as are mine. But reports show what's really been out there.

I agree all need vaccinated and we need to reach them, but going down this rabbit hole is also hurtful and potentially dangerous.

Disney Glimpses

So, then maybe things evolved differently with variants we saw last summer and winter. Sounds like there is a good chance it did. If so, we need to really quantify it and the CDC should be publishing it as part of vaccine campaign.

Studies that say 65% of people who got COVID suffered myocarditis, for example, are not the way to do it (because it's so obviously untrue).

Real studies that really quantify what long COVID is and who gets it. I haven't seen any yet.

Lilofan

Long COVID is vastly overblown, sorry. It's the final argument that people offer when you tell them a cohort isn't at risk of hospitalization or death from COVID. "Well what about LONG COVID?"

Largely, these people are losing their sense of smell. That's most of long COVID. It stinks and yeah they should get vaccinated to prevent it. But I can't argue for widespread masks, shut downs, distancing, restrictions to keep stubborn people from not being able to smell.
A guy I knew in his early 50s no underlying conditions, tested positive for covid, after exhibiting symptoms, then quarantine then collapsed and rushed to the hospital where he was then there for a week recovering. This then made some decide without hesitation to get vaccinated.
FYI- with covid rates going up in Orange County, Mayor Demmings is advising people should be masked indoors while in crowded places.

Disney Glimpses

A guy I knew in his early 50s tested positive for covid, after exhibiting symptoms, then quarantine then collapsed and rushed to the hospital where he was then there for a week recovering. This then made some decide without hesitation to get vaccinated.
FYI- with covid rates going up in Orange County, Mayor Demmings is advising people should be masked indoors while in crowded places.
Early 50s is a cohort with a pretty significant risk though.

Trauma

So anyone care to predict when Delta is going to peak in the states?

It will be interesting to compare to previous peaks and see case numbers relative to hospitalizations and deaths.

ImperfectPixie

So anyone care to predict when Delta is going to peak in the states?

It will be interesting to compare to previous peaks and see case numbers relative to hospitalizations and deaths.
It's going to be very regional. I'm in MA, and we jumped 86% over the last week, but our total new cases for that same week were 692 (Population ~7,000,000).

Florida jumped only by 44%, but had over 23,500 new cases just in the last week (Population ~21,000,000).

So Florida only has 3x the population, but almost 34x the number of new cases.

Heppenheimer

Long COVID is just a marketing buzz word for post-infection disease syndrome which can arise from basically any illness including flu.

As you can see, the symptoms are more or less "long COVID" without persistent loss of sense of smell.
This is extremely rare after a routine viral illness. I've seen exactly one case that persisted longer than a month, and that was after a case of mononucleosis.

PASC is common enough that I have several patients with the condition within the past year. And only one has so far resolved.

mmascari

the effects in healthy 20, 30 year olds is not all that apparent to most people. You can point to study after study all you want but most 20 or 30 year olds have friends who got COVID and are fine, for example. So screaming to them about the urgency to get the shot to protect themselves is more likely to make them not get it. Their experience, their knowledge of the virus doesn't translate to what is in those studies. So when you sound the alarm to them, as many are here, they look at you like you're crazy.

Early 50s is a cohort with a pretty significant risk though.
I believe you just answered why every 20 or 30 year old should get vaccinated now. They're not going to be 20 or 30 forever.

Soon those 30 year olds will be 40 year olds. Then 50 year olds and on to 60 year olds. There's only 1 alternative to this progression and it's not great.

So, get the vaccine now, when it's available everywhere, completely free, and help to eliminate the spread. Plus, you get a cool sticker.

Or, don't. Let COVID linger and continue to percolate through the population. You'll get it eventually. Some new variant that's taken over by the time you get it. Bonus, if you manage to avoid it long enough you'll no longer be in the 20-30 year old range. Instead you'll be in a much riskier range.

Wait long enough, assuming you remember that you're ageing out of invincible, and it's not going to be free anymore. May come with a health insurance penalty. It's probably a guarantee that it'll come with a life insurance penalty. That life insurance may not matter to the 20 year old, but as they age and have kids it's going to become important.

So, get vaccinated. All the 20 year olds will not be young and invincible forever and you're going to want it before that happens. No sense waiting.

No altruism required here. Completely self interest reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom