News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

fgmnt

It sounds bad because it is. And because for over a billion dollars you get an attraction ride count of around 3500 guests an hour. In total.

That’s less than just the Peoplemover.
Stuff like this combined with cancelling the only remotely intelligent capital project in MK in 20 years (Main Street Theater) but maintaining probably the most reckless capital project (Tron) in is pretty much all of the proof you need that no one in Burbank has any idea what a quality capital expenditure in Central Florida looks like. The total dereliction of EPCOT Center obviously makes the case on its own, but it's really baffling to the point where I try not to think about it too much at all.

owlsandcoffee

They should have just built a People Mover in Galaxy’s Edge. Theme it as some mining transport, have it travel through the land and into a sparkling kyber crystal mine. It would have added enormous capacity and kinetic energy at a relatively low cost.
They were going to! You would've been riding a Bantha, actually (think a goofy wooly mammoth thing). They put a lot of work into making the movement believable and everything. It got scuttled like 60% of the content for GE.

doctornick

it got scuttled because it had a terrible ride capacity is what i heard
As designed yes, but there is no reason it had to be that setup. Something more like the TL Peoplemover vehicle would have still fit fine and not had the capacity issues of the Bantha/Dewback. Imagine how nice it would have been having an elevated transport adding kinetics and popping in and out among the spires...

Should have done that and also had a big AA Bantha or Dewback present for theming.

lazyboy97o

As designed yes, but there is no reason it had to be that setup. Something more like the TL Peoplemover vehicle would have still fit fine and not had the capacity issues of the Bantha/Dewback. Imagine how nice it would have been having an elevated transport Harding kinetics and popping in and out among the spires...

Should have done that and also had a big AA Bantha or Dewback present for theming.
It’s a shame Star Wars doesn’t have some sort of speeder that goes on land. Oh well.

J4546

i kinda wish they had incorporated the monorail to follow along the rail road tracks on the GE side with a monorail station that takes you into the land as well.

also, that concept drawing of hong kong disneysea with the star wars land that had the people mover...that entire concept was so badass

They were going to! You would've been riding a Bantha, actually (think a goofy wooly mammoth thing). They put a lot of work into making the movement believable and everything. It got scuttled like 60% of the content for GE.
The Bantha ride was a cool blue sky idea, but in practice it would have had terribly low capacity. As interesting as it could have been, I am glad they didn't build it.

doctornick

The Bantha ride was a cool blue sky idea, but in practice it would have had terribly low capacity. As interesting as it could have been, I am glad they didn't build it.
But the flip side is building it seems still better than not. I mean, yeah the capacity would have sucked and so a lot of guests would have been disappointed at times due to not riding, but a bunch of other guests would have been able to ride and been happy to have had it available. And it would have added sorely needed kinetics and more firm Star Wars-y quality to the land. I think it could have softened some of the initial negative responses.

don’t get me wrong - I don’t think it was a good choice for a lesser third ride. But it would have been better than not building it at all.

Movielover

But the flip side is building it seems still better than not. I mean, yeah the capacity would have sucked and so a lot of guests would have been disappointed at times due to not riding, but a bunch of other guests would have been able to ride and been happy to have had it available. And it would have added sorely needed kinetics and more firm Star Wars-y quality to the land. I think it could have softened some of the initial negative responses.

don’t get me wrong - I don’t think it was a good choice for a lesser third ride. But it would have been better than not building it at all.
It was a right idea to not build the ride due to the capacity, but then they should have replaced it with walk around Banthas like Universal has with its Triceratops at Hollywood. Having 1 or 2 large alien creatures walking around would have been a much needed improvement. I love Galaxies Edge but I will admit the cutting of the droids and lack of large moving creates is the biggest flaw of the land.

BasiltheBatLord

This discussion got me thinking today about how badly they’ve screwed up DHS thematically. There are thematic issues with every single non-castle park now (yes even DisneySea) but DHS is up there with DCA as being one of the worst. Losing GMR was a huge loss in that sense.

Particularly sad because it seems like it was very thematically cohesive when it opened and they could’ve still rebooted the park while keeping the theme tight if they had just re-branded it as the “non Disney/Pixar property park” by keeping all Star Wars, Marvel, 20th Century Fox stuff in there.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom