News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

jt04

New Fantasyland added more to the Magic Kingdom than Pandora added to Animal Kingdom, and added about as much as Galaxy's Edge did to DHS (arguably more, since New Fantasyland has a signature table service restaurant and GE doesn't). I think you're unaware of how big New Fantasyland is.

I'm not sure how else you would compare overhauls/expansions (none of the three were true expansions) beyond the total number of new attractions, shops, and restaurants

OK. I'm sure you have had some interesting discussions with people that FL was the bigger/better project. I won't be one of them in this case.

TRON is the topic anyway.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
So in terms of WDI...
"What is a “Weenie”?
The “weenie” is an architectural concept named such by Disney Imagineering in describing “visual magnets” that draw guests from one area to another (Sklar, 2013). In Disney parks, these are seen everywhere and on every scale. From the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, guests are led throughout the park by the draw of weenies: first drawn into the center hub by Cinderella’s Castle; then from the hub to each of the “lands” by gateways that indicate the theme of the land that follows; then within each land to the major attractions by yet another weenie, like Space Mountain’s cone and spires in Tomorrowland or the distant peaks of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland. Through these “magnets”, Disney is able to draw guests to the far reaches of its parks and create avenues of predictable foot traffic."

jt04

So you realize you're wrong (also, I never said it was better -- quality wasn't the point) and are backing out of the discussion. Fair enough.

So right, quality and WED are not synonymous. Yes, I'm not interested in such a "discussion".

I never discuss geography with flat earthers either. Life is too short.

TRON is looking well.

JoeCamel

So in terms of WDI...
"What is a “Weenie”?
The “weenie” is an architectural concept named such by Disney Imagineering in describing “visual magnets” that draw guests from one area to another (Sklar, 2013). In Disney parks, these are seen everywhere and on every scale. From the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, guests are led throughout the park by the draw of weenies: first drawn into the center hub by Cinderella’s Castle; then from the hub to each of the “lands” by gateways that indicate the theme of the land that follows; then within each land to the major attractions by yet another weenie, like Space Mountain’s cone and spires in Tomorrowland or the distant peaks of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland. Through these “magnets”, Disney is able to draw guests to the far reaches of its parks and create avenues of predictable foot traffic."
Alternate definition:
The weenie is the suit that greenlit putting Tron in the MK

Mr. Moderate

I guess I’m in the minority here by saying that not only do I welcome Tron I would love if the powers that be, would put some great dark rides in Magic Kingdom as I feel it’s lacking. I would love to have two dark rides based on what I’ve seen in the Tokyo Disneyland resort. Monsters Inc. and Pooh’s Hunny hut ride I think would make great additions to MK. Please just get rid of stitches great escape and Monsters, Inc. laugh house floor

UNCgolf

But the coaster community largely isn’t going to take TRON seriously. It’s not that kind of coaster.

Which is a point I've made here repeatedly -- Disney doesn't really have a chance with the coaster community and chasing them would be a waste of time and money. Even if they did build something like Velocicoaster, it would be a temporary draw because it's only one ride. People might buy a one day ticket to ride it and then head back over to Universal for their thrill rides, and Disney still wouldn't be comparable to even regional Six Flags in terms of coasters, much less somewhere like Cedar Point. It's never going to be a place that attracts a bunch of coaster enthusiasts, and that's not their market anyways. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for Disney to build a bunch of rides that most people under the age of 8-9 simply can't ride.

Last edited:

celluloid

Which is a point I've made here repeatedly -- Disney doesn't really have a chance with the coaster community and chasing them would be a waste of time and money. Even if they did build something like Velocicoaster, it would be a temporary draw because it's only one ride. People might buy a one day ticket to ride it and then head back over to Universal for their thrill rides, and Disney still wouldn't be comparable to even regional Six Flags in terms of coasters, much less somewhere like Cedar Point. It's not ever going to be a place that attracts a bunch of coaster enthusiasts, and that's not their market anyways. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for Disney to build a bunch of rides that most people under the age of 8-9 simply can't ride.

That is the issue with Tron in a nutshell. It is not good enough to be an amazing coaster for the thrill fans on its own, and it is not groundbreaking or themed enough to exceed the Disney quality from previous attractions such as Tower of Terror, RocknRollercoaster or even Space Mountain originated right next door for the fans of those unique experiences.
It falls lackluster in both standards.

_caleb

Which is a point I've made here repeatedly -- Disney doesn't really have a chance with the coaster community and chasing them would be a waste of time and money. Even if they did build something like Velocicoaster, it would be a temporary draw because it's only one ride. People might buy a one day ticket to ride it and then head back over to Universal for their thrill rides, and Disney still wouldn't be comparable to even regional Six Flags in terms of coasters, much less somewhere like Cedar Point. It's not ever going to be a place that attracts a bunch of coaster enthusiasts, and that's not their market anyways. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for Disney to build a bunch of rides that most people under the age of 8-9 simply can't ride.
Exactly!
And this is why cloning TRON at MK still seems like a strange decision to me. It’s—

Nevermind, @celluloid just said what I was going to say, but better!

The Aracuan Bird

I guess I’m in the minority here by saying that not only do I welcome Tron I would love if the powers that be, would put some great dark rides in Magic Kingdom as I feel it’s lacking. I would love to have two dark rides based on what I’ve seen in the Tokyo Disneyland resort. Monsters Inc. and Pooh’s Hunny hut ride I think would make great additions to MK. Please just get rid of stitches great escape and Monsters, Inc. laugh house floor
I don’t think you’re in the minority at all.

jt04

TRON is a perfect fit for the MK precisely because it will be more accessible to younger families and has a compelling ride system. Perfect interim coaster for the largest audience which is the MKs core clientele.

Similar to how IoAs coasters are geared to an older audience.

At Epic Universe they are building a coaster in the HTTYD Land that skews younger because that is the audience for the franchise. Specifically younger families.

Know your audience, as the saying goes.

Tron falls between the raptor coaster and the proposed Dragon coaster. Again, just right for the MK. IMO.

jt04

You might get your wish on SGE. 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom