News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

The Aracuan Bird

I agree it should be there...and it is a charming ride... People love the dark rides... a shame that WDW is missing a good version of Pooh, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Alice In Wonderland, Snow White, and Pinocchio. Adding 4 Family Friendly dark rides, and maybe a new build expanded Peter Pan's Flight would make for the BEST Fantasyland worldwide.
The Florida Pooh is pretty good as far as C Ticket Busbar dark rides go. Tells a comprehensible story, has a great soundtrack, has decent sets.

But there needs to be at least two more like it. Like you said, something to replace Snow White. Maybe a Pinocchio or Alice? Or a return of Toad?

Pooh shouldn’t be carrying more than its own weight.

Notes from Neverland

I cant believe anyone would consider Tron a "draw".
Something to do while already on a WDW trip, but not something to book a WDW trip specifically to ride.
Guests who aren't even aware of the project right now who see what will likely be a big marketing push might be convinced. It's important to remember the group here and on other Disney message boards are the exception, not the rule.

Haymarket2008

I don't see how this ride wouldn't open before or during Summer 2022. Way too much of a draw and that summer is going to be the PRIME marketing "season" for the 50th anniversary.

jt04

Did you forget about New Fantasyland? There's no comparison between that and TRON in terms of what kind of event they were supposed to be.

New Fantasyland just underwhelmed (much like TRON will).

Not sure the FLE was ever meant to serve as a major E ticket level addition. Even after adding the coaster late. It added expansion space and something to market against offerings from Uni and Legoland while they were formulating Pandora, SWL, and TSL. IMO.

Tron has a lot going for it since arguably it will be perceived, at least, as the premier thrill ride at the MK. It also allows them to enhance, upgrade or reimagine Space Mountain eventually should they choose. (Same with the raceway btw).

Ascending by degrees 💹📈🚀

UNCgolf

Not sure the FLE was ever meant to serve as a major E ticket level addition. Even after adding the coaster late. It added expansion space and something to market against offerings from Uni and Legoland while they were formulating Pandora, SWL, and TSL. IMO.

Tron has a lot going for it since arguably it will be perceived, at least, as the premier thrill ride at the MK. It also allows them to enhance, upgrade or reimagine Space Mountain eventually should they choose. (Same with the raceway btw).

Ascending by degrees 💹📈🚀

It was still two supposed D ticket attractions (they may have considered 7DMT an E) along with shops, a quick service, and a new signature restaurant. TRON is just a single D ticket with nothing else. And that's not even counting the Storybook Circus area, which added more shops and a coaster for kids and was also part of New Fantasyland.

NFL was a massive expansion along the lines of Toy Story Land, Pandora, or Galaxy's Edge (it definitely added more to the park than TSL and probably added more than Pandora), not a single ride like TRON. They're really not comparable.

Last edited:

The Aracuan Bird

Guests who aren't even aware of the project right now who see what will likely be a big marketing push might be convinced. It's important to remember the group here and on other Disney message boards are the exception, not the rule.
I think the group on here is less likely to be disappointed than the people who first hear of Lightcycle through hyped up PR and decide to plan a trip around it.

We know what to expect, and it isn’t like Tron is replacing anything. Not expecting it to be as revolutionary as it’s claimed, it will be a nice bonus.

jt04

It was still two supposed D ticket attractions (they may have considered 7DMT an E) along with shops, a quick service, and a new signature restaurant. TRON is just a single D ticket with nothing else. And that's not even counting the Storybook Circus area, which added more shops and a coaster for kids and was also part of New Fantasyland.

NFL was a massive expansion along the lines of Toy Story Land, Pandora, or Galaxy's Edge (it definitely added more to the park than TSL and probably added more than Pandora), not a single ride like TRON. They're really not comparable.

Well this difference of opinion was argued for months and I think Steve and the mods would rather not see it again. Agree to disagree seems best.

UNCgolf

Well this difference of opinion was argued for months and I think Steve and the mods would rather not see it again. Agree to disagree seems best.

It's really not a difference of opinion. They're not comparable. It's a fact.

You're basically arguing that Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is a bigger addition to DHS than all of Galaxy's Edge.

Last edited:

jt04

It's really not a difference of opinion. They're not comparable. It's a fact.

You're basically arguing that Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is a bigger addition to DHS than all of Galaxy's Edge.

You seem to find some sort of equivalency between Fantasyland 2.0 and Pandora and Galaxy's Edge.

Not sure about that last sentence since I don't think that and have never even considered it as it is so illogical. IMO.

jt04

He often confuses things he made up with facts.

This thread is about Tron and not your opinions about my fact based opinions.

back to the subject...

I predict the canopy will be complete by October, and the coaster will be fully operational by Summer 2022.

In my humble fact based opinion. IMHFBO

lazyboy97o

Not always. Sometimes people are so dug in on their opinions that it works to stop conversation completely, as they're not willing to hear any opposition, regardless of the intent to have a good discussion.
And some people just make things up and change whatever they’re spouting on about to claim they were right all along and everyone else was wrong.

UNCgolf

You seem to find some sort of equivalency between Fantasyland 2.0 and Pandora and Galaxy's Edge.

Not sure about that last sentence since I don't think that and have never even considered it as it is so illogical. IMO.

New Fantasyland added more to the Magic Kingdom than Pandora added to Animal Kingdom, and added about as much as Galaxy's Edge did to DHS (arguably more, since New Fantasyland has a signature table service restaurant and GE doesn't). I think you're unaware of how big New Fantasyland is.

I'm not sure how else you would compare overhauls/expansions (none of the three were true expansions) beyond the total number of new attractions, shops, and restaurants

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I cant believe anyone would consider Tron a "draw".

1. MK doesn't need that kind of headliner draw that other parks do. It already has the 'problem' of too many guests overwhelming its capacity.

2. MK of all the WDW parks is the most 'family friendly,' and the family friendly coasters have the longest queues. They're *very* popular. Any family-friendly coaster in MK is going to do very well regardless of its IP (or lack thereof) or any perceived deficits ("it's too short"). You just can't go wrong with more family friendly coasters for the clientele of WDW. Thrill coasters are just down the road...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Tron photos from today

Tron_Full_41844.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom