DCL could sail from England as early as May 17!

cjkeating

So there’s contradictory information about it. How can you dine at the same table each night if there’s rotational dining?
Have you cruised before? Because you normally sit at the same table number each day with the same group of people and have the same servers. I think something has just got mixed up referring to this.

I don't see any benefit to just eating in one restaurant each day as there will be two (unless they add a third) dinner sittings so its not like you will be the only person who will use that table for the entire cruise. Just seems weird. You'll be sharing chairs/tables on the decks or in the bars?

nickys

Premium Member
Have you cruised before? Because you normally sit at the same table number each day with the same group of people and have the same servers. I think something has just got mixed up referring to this.

I don't see any benefit to just eating in one restaurant each day as there will be two (unless they add a third) dinner sittings so its not like you will be the only person who will use that table for the entire cruise. Just seems weird. You'll be sharing chairs/tables on the decks or in the bars?
No, I was a potential first timer. But seeing some experienced DCL cruisers saying they wouldn’t sail under these conditions put me off. This was going to be a chance to see what we all thought of cruising. I have one son who hates being on normal boats but has always wanted to go on a cruise. And I’ve always thought I’d go stir crazy on board - friends have persuaded me otherwise. And these cruises were likely going to be a relatively cheap way to try it out.

Literally everything is going to have to be booked, which is understandable, but you could find yourself missing out on the show, aqua slide, kids club etc. And I don’t really see what you could do whilst waiting for your “turn” on the deck, in the lounge etc. Always assuming you were able to book those. You could find yourself sitting in your cabin a lot.

I see what you mean about the dining, but the wording is confusing. It says “the same table”, that to me means in the same place. It already says you would only be sitting with your party, so it doesn’t even refer to your table companions.

It’s all a moot point now anyway. I work in a school and we return mid August, and not everyone in our family will have received both shots by then.

cjkeating

No, I was a potential first timer. But seeing some experienced DCL cruisers saying they wouldn’t sail under these conditions put me off. This was going to be a chance to see what we all thought of cruising. I have one son who hates being on normal boats but has always wanted to go on a cruise. And I’ve always thought I’d go stir crazy on board - friends have persuaded me otherwise. And these cruises were likely going to be a relatively cheap way to try it out.

Literally everything is going to have to be booked, which is understandable, but you could find yourself missing out on the show, aqua slide, kids club etc. And I don’t really see what you could do whilst waiting for your “turn” on the deck, in the lounge etc. Always assuming you were able to book those. You could find yourself sitting in your cabin a lot.

I see what you mean about the dining, but the wording is confusing. It says “the same table”, that to me means in the same place. It already says you would only be sitting with your party, so it doesn’t even refer to your table companions.

It’s all a moot point now anyway. I work in a school and we return mid August, and not everyone in our family will have received both shots by then.
If I get on one of these cruises it'll be my fourth DCL cruise (was meant to be doing a European cruise this summer but obviously it got cancelled)

My view on these cruises is the following (hopefully this is some help for you or others):
  • People can't go in expecting to have the same experience as you would on a pre-COVID cruise, it just isn't going to happen, but I am sure it will be a great experience.
  • I've done 18 nights on DCL and I still feel like I haven't had the chance to do 'everything' so being worried about not having enough to do I don't think will be a thing. I admit I don't have kids but again there are so many ship wide activities that I am sure kids will be okay.
  • The ships will be at reduced capacity, if capped at 1,000 I think it'll feel a bit like a ghost ship as other than the pool deck on a sunny day at full 2,400 capacity I don't think the Magic/Wonder ever feel crowded.
  • If you haven't cruised before I think these will be a great 'tester' cruise but as I said before there needs to be an understanding this is a modified experience. If you enjoy it, the Magic will be back next year for proper cruises.
I guess it depends what you want from the cruise but now the vaccination requirement is confirmed I'll be on the cruise without question (along as I can get a room and the price isn't extorcinate) and I am sure it will be a great time.

nickys

Premium Member
If I get on one of these cruises it'll be my fourth DCL cruise (was meant to be doing a European cruise this summer but obviously it got cancelled)

My view on these cruises is the following (hopefully this is some help for you or others):
  • People can't go in expecting to have the same experience as you would on a pre-COVID cruise, it just isn't going to happen, but I am sure it will be a great experience.
  • I've done 18 nights on DCL and I still feel like I haven't had the chance to do 'everything' so being worried about not having enough to do I don't think will be a thing. I admit I don't have kids but again there are so many ship wide activities that I am sure kids will be okay.
  • The ships will be at reduced capacity, if capped at 1,000 I think it'll feel a bit like a ghost ship as other than the pool deck on a sunny day at full 2,400 capacity I don't think the Magic/Wonder ever feel crowded.
  • If you haven't cruised before I think these will be a great 'tester' cruise but as I said before there needs to be an understanding this is a modified experience. If you enjoy it, the Magic will be back next year for proper cruises.
I guess it depends what you want from the cruise but now the vaccination requirement is confirmed I'll be on the cruise without question (along as I can get a room and the price isn't extorcinate) and I am sure it will be a great time.
My main concern would be that almost everything that I have read about on cruises are now going to have to be booked. Even the likes of Cabanas will have a virtual queue. The Marvel and Frozen events, shows, pools, aqua slide, sun decks, will need to be booked and I’m not convinced there will be enough capacity for everyone to try them, even with a reduced number of guests.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure many people will enjoy them, but I do see some will end up very unhappy with the experience if they don’t manage to book the show and one of the big deck party nights.

I’d be interested to see if a lot of people book and later cancel if they haven’t managed to get both shots, for example, or if families will now think there’s no point in booking.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
My main concern would be that almost everything that I have read about on cruises are now going to have to be booked. Even the likes of Cabanas will have a virtual queue. The Marvel and Frozen events, shows, pools, aqua slide, sun decks, will need to be booked and I’m not convinced there will be enough capacity for everyone to try them, even with a reduced number of guests.

I would bet "dollars to doughnuts" that everyone who wants to see the live stage shows will be able to. They will find a way to ensure that every person onboard is able to get at least one viewing of each stage show; even if they have to add a 3rd performance of each show. There's NO chance that DCL will exclude people from seeing one of their signature offerings. JMO.

cjkeating

I would bet "dollars to doughnuts" that everyone who wants to see the live stage shows will be able to. They will find a way to ensure that every person onboard is able to get at least one viewing of each stage show; even if they have to add a 3rd performance of each show. There's NO chance that DCL will exclude people from seeing one of their signature offerings. JMO.
Yes, it has already been stated there will be multiple performances so at a guess it could be 4 showings over 2 nights.

nickys

Premium Member
Here are some prices being widely quoted.

For comparison,, 4 nights next spring from Miami is around $2,000 for inside and between $2,500 and $3,000 for a Verandah.

3 Night Sailing From Newcastle
2 Adults
Inside Standard Stateroom Category 11B
Total cost including Tax and Port Fees £945.76
No transfers, insurance or onboard booking credit

2 Night Sailing From Newcastle
2 Adults
Total cost including Tax and Port Fees £636.38

4 Night Sailing From Southampton
2 Adults
Total cost including Tax and Port Fees £1836.26

2 Adults
Deluxe Oceanview with Navigators Verandah 7A
Total cost including Tax and Port Fees £2726.83

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just posted this elsewhere for comparison:

An absolute extortionate price. No way. Nooooo way. Got to be mad to book this.

2 Adults

vs

4-Night Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral
Sail Date View Cruise Details
September 20, 2021
Ship Disney Dream
Ports Port Canaveral, Nassau, Disney Castaway Cay, Day at Sea, Port Canaveral
£1600 thereabouts.

I just posted this elsewhere for comparison:

An absolute extortionate price. No way. Nooooo way. Got to be mad to book this.

2 Adults

vs

4-Night Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral
Sail Date View Cruise Details
September 20, 2021
Ship Disney Dream
Ports Port Canaveral, Nassau, Disney Castaway Cay, Day at Sea, Port Canaveral
£1600 thereabouts.
but then factor in you're not having to fly to and from florida, no jetlag etc, and it doesn't seem so bad! Plus August will always cost a lot more than September

Surfin' Tuna

I'm not a UK resident, so I don't have a dog in the fight. I do, however, see the price as ridiculous. That being said, I bet they will sell out whatever capacity they are selling. People are aching to cruise, and they know it.

Cast are being recalled and heading to England starting next week, so I guess it's really going to happen. With this company, I've learned not to believe it until it happens, but flying stateside cast over is a great sign.

AswaySuller

I was quoted over £2000 ($2,700) dollars for 1 adult and 1 child (4 year old) for the 3 night cruise from Southampton for just a standard room!

I was disappointed and unsure what to do when I found out I would have to have both vaccinations (I haven't even been offered my first yet) but when I received the quote I was out.

I could actually go to Orlando for 2 weeks for less.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
If anyone is interested in the U.K. staycation sailings, this is a video from the test sailing. I believe everyone on it is a Disney employee from the U.K.

This was great. The dining room and shops were empty. I know it's a reduced capacity, but how many people were on this sailing? It looked completely empty in the public spaces.

jme

The touch-free elevators are interesting... how will they be able to decipher a genuine hand swipe gesture, vs a kid waving their hands like crazy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom