DCL could sail from England as early as May 17!

nickys

Premium Member
Maybe they won't be sailing ...
That did occur to me too.

Out of interest yesterday I did a search to find out if it was possible to get travel insurance for cruises. I did find one but no price. DCL really need to get their own policy in place for these and confirm what happens if someone tests positive before boarding, for example. Other cruise lines have said passengers will be completely covered with full refund if requested.

They also need to get their Covid requirements confirmed too. I wonder if that’s a sticking point, with no vaccine “passports” or documentation likely to be available for passengers for any of the dates.

rustincohle

I'd be the primary target audience for these sailings in theory, but I dunno if wearing a mask every time I step outside my room is going to be much fun. Combined with it no doubt being pretty expensive, I'm very much on the fence.

I always wear a mask where required and don't complain, but I find them pretty uncomfortable. I was hoping that, with all restrictions being removed from June 21st, we'd be able to ditch the masks on the ship but maybe keep social distancing, as I know cruises always had higher health and safety precautions pre-covid. No such luck it seems.

And yeah, it'll be ridiculous if Disney don't give us prices in advance. That's a surefire sign they're looking to charge through the nose.

I'm sure it's been stated in the past that vaccinations won't be mandatory, they're taking LF tests in the port before letting you board, and I suspect they will be testing onboard too.

Being vaccinated doesn't stop you carrying the virus, just stops you from becommng ill; so having the vaccine does nothing to protect other passengers

nickys

Premium Member
I'm sure it's been stated in the past that vaccinations won't be mandatory, they're taking LF tests in the port before letting you board, and I suspect they will be testing onboard too.

Being vaccinated doesn't stop you carrying the virus, just stops you from becommng ill; so having the vaccine does nothing to protect other passengers
I don’t think DCL did state that, they just didn’t state that vaccinations would be required - unlike other cruise lines.

I assume they’ll be doing lateral flow tests but again I can’t find anything about the requirements. This is the only page I can find on the website:

If you click on Health & Safety, it pretty much says we’ll bring you more info later.

on the main page :

Health & Wellness
Our approach emphasizes a combination of health and safety measures. This includes COVID-19 testing, health screenings, face coverings, reduced Guest capacity and physical distancing.

On the port page (in this case Tilbury)
COVID-19 Testing
When you arrive at the terminal you will need to complete a Lateral Flow Rapid COVID-19 test. Once you and your party have tested negative, you will be able to embark. The test will be conducted before entering the terminal.

Where did you find the port pages? I did a search for Liverpool and just got a spinning circle.

I’m also fairly sure they’ll want a PCR test done within a few days prior to departure.

I've pasted some links but it's awaiting moderation, so to get there yourself, from the main disney cruse page, on the top menu go to Destinations - departure ports, and scroll down, they're all sorted by city name

nickys

Premium Member

That info was up yesterday on the DCL website but has since been taken down.

And there’s still not cancellation or health policy specifically for these cruises.

If Disney are hoping to appeal to a new audience they need to get their finger out frankly. No prices, no details about what will and won’t be offered, how bookings for things like Paolo will be handled (since by the time booking opens , it’ll almost be at 60 days from departure - so the usual t8me frames don’t apply), no pre-departure protocols other than a Covid test at the port, no cancellation policy.

Meanwhile other cruise lines doing staycation cruises are already booking, with full details and complete cancellation coverage including in the event of testing positive at the port or even a change of heart at the last minute.

cjkeating

That info was up yesterday on the DCL website but has since been taken down.

And there’s still not cancellation or health policy specifically for these cruises.

If Disney are hoping to appeal to a new audience they need to get their finger out frankly. No prices, no details about what will and won’t be offered, how bookings for things like Paolo will be handled (since by the time booking opens , it’ll almost be at 60 days from departure - so the usual t8me frames don’t apply), no pre-departure protocols other than a Covid test at the port, no cancellation policy.

Meanwhile other cruise lines doing staycation cruises are already booking, with full details and complete cancellation coverage including in the event of testing positive at the port or even a change of heart at the last minute.
Will the already announced Cancellation Policy found here not apply to these cruises?

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/book-with-confidence/

Also prices are never normally released prior to the general release date so I don't expect this will be any different? We'll start hearing about pricing on social media once the Castaway Club members start booking however.

nickys

Premium Member
Will the already announced Cancellation Policy found here not apply to these cruises?

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/book-with-confidence/

Also prices are never normally released prior to the general release date so I don't expect this will be any different? We'll start hearing about pricing on social media once the Castaway Club members start booking however.
OK, but I assumed this was an opportunity to entice new people to Disney cruises. And other cruise line release prices when they release itineraries, so you know what it might cost you before you can book. Who would book something so major without having considered and compared prices with other companies? What exactly will be operating?

It’s fine for experienced cruisers who know what they’re getting. But this is unknown territory at the moment. If they need a PCR test 3-5 days beforehand, for example, that could add around £500 to the cost for a family of 4.

They haven’t said on their Staycation page that the existing cancellation policy applies, it just says check back for more information later. If that still applies, why not say that and link to it on the main page instead of just saying they’ll update information later? I cannot find it from their web page either, the “know before you go” page is blank.

nickys

Premium Member
Well things aren’t looking promising.

They’ve now removed Newcastle and Tilbury from the departure ports.
The sailing dates are still not back.
The advance booking page has now been removed (it was supposed to start tomorrow).
Now just says “booking opens April 19th”.

nickys

Premium Member
There is more info up on the site now. Marvel and Frozen nights, one stage show, character “events”. Nothing about having to book these yet. Also I believe the U.K. guidelines say no more than one third or 1000 rooms can be booked, whichever is lower.

Primarily everyone over the age of 18 must be fully vaccinated, with the last short at least 7 days before sailing. Crucially though it doesn’t yet say how guests will prove this, it just says D L will contact guests beforehand to tell them how to do so.

That really means a lot of families won’t be able to book. The U.K. should have offered all adults their first shot by the end of June, but with a 12 week gap between first and second shots that means a lot of the 18-50 year olds won’t be fully vaccinated in time.

Plus there is no “proof” of vaccination here. No card with dates and stamps, nothing. Vaccination passports are a “maybe” and not before June at the earliest. The only way to prove that you’ve been vaccinated is to get a copy of your health record from your GP - and I have no idea how long that would take or whether they’re even doing that right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom