News People mover now reopened!

Goofyernmost

Assuming everything is being maintained correctly and maintenance is being done, roller coasters are actually the safest attraction in any park. They have redundant fail safe safety measures and passenger restraints that a ride like Peoplemover or a flat ride does not have. If a modern day roller coaster has a failure, it's because it wasn't being cared for at the maintenance level.

Also, the PeopleMover should be able to complete a ride stop or an e-stop without vehicles colliding. A PeopleMover vehicle running at outdoor ride speed colliding with a stationary vehicle does in fact create enough force to "misplace a strand of hair", especially on an attraction that allows handheld infants/accommodates all guests.

I'm fine riding PeopleMover knowing there's a chance the vehicles will collide because that's just what they're known for doing now. But they spent decades not doing that as often as they currently are, and there are a few people in my life I would not want on board one of those vehicles, however much of a non-issue you'd like to believe it is on the basis of all of us now just being wussy snowflakes.
If that is what you think you are, I surely cannot stop you. I know you think of yourself that way because you reacted so vigorously like I was talking directly at you. Just so you know I have ridden the Peoplemover for 38 years and it always had a chance to bump into the train in front of it IF it was at a point where they were bunched up. They have kinetic energy when in motion built within their movement and it stops via friction once the magnetic power is turned off. Having a reactionary brake would tend to basically slam on the brake and it would have basically the same effect as hitting something.

When they do bump, which is seldom, they have to be close which pretty much only happens as it approaches the unload and load area. It still is a minor thing and because it is on a Flat service there shouldn't be a need to install special braking equipment because after you make the first turn you are separated by a pretty good distance. My statements are about those that think that just because they think that is how they would like it to work that is the way that the system will work.

Snowflakes, in this sense would be those people that were startled by or if their kid that was standing up on the seat were to fall. And guess who's fault that is. Is there a place in WDW that doesn't insist that people, kids in particular, remain seated at ALL times. So the parents allow them to do whatever the hell they want to and if they fall then it's Karen to the rescue and Disney is bad mouthed because something happened to their personal snowflake or they themselves felt emotionally damaged by their surprise that things in movement might not stop immediately or because they didn't insist that their children follow the rules. Then it becomes Disney incompetence that caused the problem. It's the same scenario as the ridiculous "Baby on Board" signs on cars. I don't know how many times I wanted to ram the hell out of a car, but stopped at the last minute because, gasp, there was a baby on board.

Last edited:
Guests are right to expect that attractions will operate correctly, without trains running into each other. It’s not about “snowflakes”; it’s about standards.

This is Magic Kingdom, the crown jewel of Disney Parks. It’s not a roadside carnival.*

*My apologies to Dinoland USA.
I hope they never reopen the people mover. It's not a fun attraction. -now if they speed the people mover up and made it go about 65 mph-that would be glorious.

Bocabear

That was called Rocket Rods at Disneyland and it was decidedly NOT glorious... Their track was about twice as long as ours and the entire attraction took like 45 seconds... It was not fast enough for a thrill, too short to be relaxing, and there were absolutely no show sets. Add in braking at every turn and it was a disaster that completely failed after an extremely short amount of time and has been sitting abandoned for 20 years... I Love the WDW Peoplemover... they need to refresh the show scenes and add a few more and get it running again. Not every ride needs to be a rollercoaster.

ToTBellHop

That was called Rocket Rods at Disneyland and it was decidedly NOT glorious... Their track was about twice as long as ours and the entire attraction took like 45 seconds... It was not fast enough for a thrill, too short to be relaxing, and there were absolutely no show sets. Add in braking at every turn and it was a disaster that completely failed after an extremely short amount of time and has been sitting abandoned for 20 years... I Love the WDW Peoplemover... they need to refresh the show scenes and add a few more and get it running again. Not every ride needs to be a rollercoaster.
It wasn’t 45 sec and the sad thing is, it was a cool idea. With banking and show scenes, it could’ve been great. Typical Disney to drop millions of dollars on a project but cut pennies. I would have preferred Test Track style—slow throughout most most of the land with show scenes and then fast as it passes the lagoon.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It wasn’t 45 sec and the sad thing is, it was a cool idea. With banking and show scenes, it could’ve been great. Typical Disney to drop millions of dollars on a project but cut pennies. I would have preferred Test Track style—slow throughout most most of the land with show scenes and then fast as it passes the lagoon.

Wasn’t that one a Cynthia Harriss Special? Memory is a bit fuzzy on who was responsible for that fiasco. Pressler, Harriss... they tend to blend together.

ToTBellHop

Wasn’t that one a Cynthia Harriss Special? Memory is a bit fuzzy on who was responsible for that fiasco. Pressler, Harriss... they tend to blend together.
I don’t remember who was in charge in the late ‘90s. It was during the end of the Disney Decade when they rapidly became less ambitious.

lazyboy97o

I don’t remember who was in charge in the late ‘90s. It was during the end of the Disney Decade when they rapidly became less ambitious.
It was Pressler. He was promoted at the end of 1998.

Baxter takes some of the blame for being bullheaded and thinking he could just force it to work.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

It was Pressler. He was promoted at the end of 1998.

Baxter takes some of the blame for being bullheaded and thinking he could just force it to work.
Memory is hazy but I want to say Harris okayed omitting the banked turns. Or rather wouldn’t pay the extra $10 million for them.

lazyboy97o

Memory is hazy but I want to say Harris okayed omitting the banked turns. Or rather wouldn’t pay the extra $10 million for them.
Pressler was not promoted up until December 1998. As Pressler’s number two Harris was involved but Pressler was still President of Disneyland and insisted they continue with less funds.

Bocabear

The sad thing is with the banked turns and the show scenes that were originally planned it could have been a really great timeless attraction... Yes it was longer than 45 seconds, my point was putting a fast vehicle on the track made the ride seem super short...and it did feel extremely short... I think the show scenes included a room with chasing popcorn Christmas lights and a room with coffee cans over some light bulbs with holes punched in them to make it look kind of starry... It was a real low point for Disneyland...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The sad thing is with the banked turns and the show scenes that were originally planned it could have been a really great timeless attraction... Yes it was longer than 45 seconds, my point was putting a fast vehicle on the track made the ride seem super short...and it did feel extremely short... I think the show scenes included a room with chasing popcorn Christmas lights and a room with coffee cans over some light bulbs with holes punched in them to make it look kind of starry... It was a real low point for Disneyland...
In all fairness having to slow for the turns made it longer than originally planned. But I wouldn’t go so far as to call anything in the buildings a “show effect” either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom