News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Gringrinngghost

I LEAVE FOR 12 HOURS AND....

giphy-downsized-large[1].gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
First, DisTwitter is cray cray. There's no moderator to reel in the most absurd and disrespectful and even hateful tweets. Anyone thinking that DisTwitter is representative of the Disney park fanbase doesn't know DisTwitter and it's excesses in both pixie dusting and Disney nerdrage.

Second, all Chris did was call out the use of telephoto shots of the barges/ring. And that's because the telephoto shots are a lie. People who use them are absolutely not making a good faith argument, and they deserve derision for that visual exaggeration. Chris just lol'd at their use of telephoto. He didn't say any of the mean stuff about them that I'm saying about them.

Third, for so much nothing of an issue (i.e., calling out telephoto shots as a false visual), it's disgusting to see the pile-on on Chris and people hoping he'll get fired. There's your cancel culture at work. Such delicate snowflakes for having their telephoto malarkey getting called out. Jeez, grow a spine.

Mind you. I've never defended the barges. But I will call out bad faith exaggerations unmoored from reality.

Heres the problem... the telephoto gripe is the example of killing the messenger or picking on the delivery and missing the “bigger picture”. Debunking the telephoto view WITH the view that still showcases the same problem shows he is oblivious to the real concern.. Because the photo without zoom is bad too.

He’s nitpicking with missing the real concern... and mocking while he does it.

It’s his freaking job to be able to forsee what the customer will enjoy. What he’s doing here is showing he is tone deaf.

This is nothing like cancel culture. People are calling him out for failing at his job - not because they think he should be erased/removed for actions that are not performance based.

Someone else made a point earlier and it’s resonated more and more for me. Disney these days tells us about the magic/process for whats that seem more and more trying to convince us of how great something is (instread of the audience making that conclusion themselves). Disney is trying to convince us... verse just explaining how it was done or telling the creation story.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it sums up what's wrong with Disney fandom in that their telephoto malarkey is called out and they have a cow over it.
Even without the zoom... its still just as awful. The same problems are there either way. This isnt like forcing your body into some odd position to make this happen.

It’s why the post is dismissive and come across as completely detached from the views outside their bubble.

durangojim

By going to guest relations and filing a complaint. Not by bullying someone on the internet.

While it is extremely bad show and unprofessional having someone involved with a project laughing at the fanbase, divebombing them on social media isn't the right answer.
I agree, that’s why I was asking

Sir_Cliff

Disney had already established Illuminations as a brand that could change to tie into different celebrations (WDW's 25th, Millennium Celebration etc). In hindsight, it would have been simpler, and possibly just as effective, to do a 4th version of the show.

But this project feels like it's part of the statement that Disney wants to make as part of the reinvention of EPCOT by doing "big things".
I am also surprised they have ditched the Illuminations brand entirely. It's such a classic Disney/Epcot title that I really think they should have kept to help build Epcot's brand. It seems to me that Illuminations very quickly became synonymous with a light, laser, firework, and whatever-else-they-want-to-add show on the World Showcase lagoon incorporating the pavilions. Periodically having "a new Illuminations" rather than a new nighttime spectacular to promote would strengthen the idea that Epcot (and the show) was something unique.

I think everyone acknowledges (to different degrees) that Epcot has had its issues, but in addressing them Disney seems uniquely bad at building on what works at the park and promoting the same kind of emotional connection that exists with DL and Magic Kingdom. Well, beyond whoever is in charge of merchandising.

I honestly don’t want anybody fired. What I do believe however is that it’s wiser to be the better example and be humble rather than only make the PR worse by laughing at or mocking the fan response. He’s in a higher position & is supposed to represent Disney’s class & professionalism. Why doesn’t he just not say anything & wait for the final response when the final show has debuted?
This is my view. I don't like Twitter mobs whatever the cause and I've never liked the campaigns to get people fired as I don't think many people consider what that can mean for a person. Still, that was a bad response to what seems to be an almost universal dislike among fans for having the barges out on the lagoon all day. The dismissive attitude also suggests he doesn't think they're that big a deal, and I think it's reasonable to raise an eyebrow at the implications of that.

durangojim

I think the idea that someone needs to be fired over this is vindictive and just plain wrong but speaks to what a portion of our society is like right now. There is a lack of civility. At the same time Disney and it’s employees being dismissive and defensive about criticism is wrong too.
I understand the idea about a telephoto lens skewing perspective but it’s disingenuous for Disney to complain about that when virtually all its advertising uses perspective to make the parks, hotels, and grounds looks significantly different than reality (does anyone really think the castle is only about 100 feet outside the patio of the Grand Floridian’s rooms).
Right now I’ll wait to pass complete judgment until I see the show, but the monstrosity of these barges chance the ambiance of World Showcase and decrease the significance of the countries as I see it.
And that’s all I have to say about that.

techgeek

Not only is the tweet in question deleted, so is much of that accounts recent activity. Yesterday his bio referenced his position at imagineering and his role as producer on Epcot & SSE. Recent tweets were not only regarding Epcot and elements of the redesign, but also veered into political territory. This morning, save his SSE banner photo almost every TWDC reference has apparently been removed from his Twitter history.

WDW1974

When our Spirit @WDW1974 returns you know **** hit the fan! Welcome back 🙂

Not back. Just doing a drive by from Regions Beyond ... nothing I can add. No point. The fan community has sorta gone the direction of your 'wonderful and loving' Grandma Bev who is now wearing a Q shirt, has multiple guns and is planning for the end of days. There is no sanity, just blind faith and devotion to a brand in cult-like fashion (sorta like what is going on in Orlando at another event this weekend). Once, not long after joining this community, I got into an argument with now superstar blogger Tom 'Chicken Legs' Bricker about Disney being Walmarted and how that could never happen without doing likewise to the broader American society. I know, I know ... shouldn't argue with people who think reviewing food booth samples, shared amongst five bloggers, is a career.

The past five years have certainly proved me correct, sadly, more than I ever could have believed.

Unlike America today, this is the Disney that most fans are completely happy with. Cause nothing says Disney more than everything from The Mandalorian to Family Guy, from Nat Geo to the Your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman, from Rey to the latest woke heroine Raya and her dragon.

There's a great big world out there beyond the berm. My advice: when the pandemic is over (this doesn't count in Florida as the pandemic ended there whenever Governor Mini Trump said so), go explore it. There are even some great theme parks.

trainplane3

Here’s the tweet for everyone asking. No I don’t think anybody should be fired but it’s definitely not a professional thing to say.
Not only is the tweet in question deleted, so is much of that accounts recent activity. Yesterday his bio referenced his position at imagineering and his role as producer on Epcot & SSE. Recent tweets were not only regarding Epcot and elements of the redesign, but also veered into political territory. This morning, save his SSE banner photo almost every TWDC reference has apparently been removed from his Twitter history.
Yikes. It's times like this that I almost wish I didn't notice these kind of details.

Animaniac93-98

A surprising lack of maturity on display here! All I’ll say is, someone losing their job over a bad decision and bad attitude in response to customers isn’t cancel culture. That’s getting fired because they suck at their job.

Disney, like any company, has rules about what people can say about them, or on behalf of them, on social media.

The tweet was simply not the best decision. Worth getting fired over? No, but he may have gotten a note about it from the Mouse.

the.dreamfinder

Disney, like any company, has rules about what people can say about them, or on behalf of them, on social media.

The tweet was simply not the best decision. Worth getting fired over? No, but he may have gotten a note about it from the Mouse.
The mouse only fires you for social media posts after multiple warnings and a gentle talking to from Pedro Pascal!

flynnibus

Premium Member

Sounds like someone got called to the principal’s office...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom