News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Animaniac93-98

I agree. I just think sometimes seeing all these fans crap on your work can be tough.

It can be for sure, but that's true of all media.

Imagine spending years making a movie, only to see it get 38% on Rotten Tomatoes (or to use a dated reference, "2 Thumbs Down").

All entertainment made for public consumption is subject to criticism. Most of what has been written here hasn't been directed at any one individual...except maybe Bob. But he's the big boss getting paid millions, who is ultimately responsible for everything.

TTA94

If EF does return, won’t there have to be some modifications? Also if they don’t use the barges in some way during EF it’s going to look very weird.

DreamfinderGuy

If EF does return, won’t there have to be some modifications? Also if they don’t use the barges in some way during EF it’s going to look very weird.
As I understand it, EF was explicitly designed to be able to run with RoE and Harm's infrastructure fully in place, making overnight changeovers super simple.

trainplane3

I certainly would be bias or have strong views if I was working on Epcot right now. I know someone who had a hand in EF and was hurt by backlash on that. These people do work hard.
They definitely do. In my opinion, the show was fine. It got close to what I wanted to see. The ended nearly ruined the rest of it for me. But up to that point, I was enjoying it. Especially the kites (even if they barely worked on the first night). I wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking or some deep story, just a good filler show until the main one was ready.

I'm sure there were many other pitches made for EF. But that leads into my next point...
I agree. I just think sometimes seeing all these fans crap on your work can be tough.
I wish the one's having the final say would step back and think for a moment. Really, my issues are directed at those people.

You announce a nostalgia filled show and end it with a song from Aladdin? I can say I wasn't the only one that had a confused reaction on the first night.
Side note: isn't this why Jason Surrell got kicked out of Disney? He got into some spat with the fans?
I never heard of that situation.

Dan Deesnee

Is the whole purpose of that...portal shaped thing simply to have a water mist screen to show Disney movie clips? I assume it has some lightning and stuff but if it's main purpose is really too just show movie clips, what a way to ruin the entire look of the lake FOR CLIPS OF MOVIES WE'VE ALL SEEN 100 TIMES. lol....☹️

flynnibus

Premium Member
This attitude embodies what is wrong at WDI.
No empathy or ability to look beyond what is in front of them.

It is scary to think this individual could be in charge of the creative process for EPCOT’s last remaining classic attraction...

I know, the idea there is ground to defend there is concerning.. and then there is a culture where he can openly mock his very customer base? Yeah... put a fork in this puppy. It's done.

SplashJacket

What amazes me about this project is it seems they took the worst possible route.

Ideally, the barges would come out shortly before showtime and be stored promptly after. They didn't do that.

If we have to have the barges in World Showcase, might as well make them look somewhat decent and hide the mechanics. They didn't do that.

If we have to have a colossal structure fixed in place, might as well sink it down to the show elements. They didn't do that.

If we have to have these massive structures in the middle of the lagoon, might as well use a logical alignment. They didn't do that.

To recap, they could have stored the barges during the day, covered mechanical equipment, sunk the barges down 10 or so feet, or use a logical alignment, but they didn't. Any one of these things would be an improvement, even if it isn't a remedy. It is truly mindblowing.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean... if the barges had to be permanant.. you'd hope they would have done something to try to mask them as something else... something that could be justified out there and have it transform/drop it's shell for the show. That's part of the magic of DL's F!.

I just don't know how anyone could have sat with a straight face and defended a 6 story tall erector set in the middle of World Showcase as a permanent fixture.

BrianLo

I think the inherent problem here was this was obviously originally intended to be show infrastructure that was floated in every day. Why build barges otherwise?

As opposed to a project that knew from the get go the infrastructure would remain in place always. The second is still not great, but at least some sort of interesting looking architectural structure could have been placed that opened up at night, instead of exposed show equipment.

The Water Fountains are a bandaid. I'm not making an excuse, but this couldn't have been the original intent.

BrianLo

I mean... if the barges had to be permanant.. you'd hope they would have done something to try to mask them as something else... something that could be justified out there and have it transform/drop it's shell for the show. That's part of the magic of DL's F!.

I just don't know how anyone could have sat with a straight face and defended a 6 story tall erector set in the middle of World Showcase as a permanent fixture.

Jinx. :D

yensidtlaw1969

It is scary to think this individual could be in charge of the creative process for EPCOT’s last remaining classic attraction...
I recently made a post in another thread about Theatre and Themed Entertainment being empirical artforms - either the audience connects with what you've made or it doesn't, and trying to explain to them all the "good, logical reasons" why they actually should love it doesn't work if what you made didn't persuade them.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

So the Disney that recently designed/built a truly immersive land such as Galaxy’s Edge (and Pandora not so long ago) is the same Disney that designed/built this? It’s honestly mind-boggling.
It’s the same Disney that spent hundreds of millions on an immersive Galaxy’s Edge and then was fine with this in regular operations...

49AB1A1F-AE67-4F8D-A3D6-46F376C86DBF.png

aladdin2007

They all deserve to be fired for this mess...and the boycotting of Epcot begins now. I feel really bad for those who work in Guest relations, just remember to be nice when marching in there, its not their fault.

Animaniac93-98

They should have just updated RoE...

Disney had already established Illuminations as a brand that could change to tie into different celebrations (WDW's 25th, Millennium Celebration etc). In hindsight, it would have been simpler, and possibly just as effective, to do a 4th version of the show.

But this project feels like it's part of the statement that Disney wants to make as part of the reinvention of EPCOT by doing "big things".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom