Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

We really won't know if vaccinated people can still pass the virus until community spread drops to low enough levels that we can more easily docontract tracing. That probably won't be possible in most states until a fairly large percentage of the population are vaccinated. So, best to keep wearing masks for now. We've pulled back too soon too often in this pandemic, I'd like to think we may have finally learned our lesson. But probably not.
If the vaccine(s) doesn't prevent a very high percentage from being a carrier and spreader then herd immunity can never be reached and this virus will be around forever in various mutations like the flu.

Hopefully data out of Israel (due to the high percentage vaccinated) will be able to shed some light on this within a couple of months.

Chi84

Premium Member
All of this gets to the same answer. Mitigation efforts will be tied to community spread and not directly to vaccine distribution or availability. More distribution will drive down community spread and that’s what will allow removal of mitigation efforts.
I agree with everything you said, but mitigation efforts depend heavily on public support. Sure, the government can mandate masks on planes and federal property, but in other places its ability to enforce restrictions is very limited. In Illinois, we pretty much had a rebellion by the restaurant industry - too many restaurants to count were open for indoor dining in defiance of the governor's order. Businesses that used to enforce mask-wearing are becoming lax. Grocery store employees are wearing masks but congregating in close groups. I know of other employers that are also no longer enforcing social distancing among employees. The end is in sight, but that last mile seems to be the hardest for people.

I'm hoping this administration makes an all-out effort to get people on board with mitigation efforts until most of us can be vaccinated - after that, from what I'm seeing, it will probably be a lost cause no matter how good the reasons for continuing them. Police departments (at least where I live) don't have the resources to chase people around for not wearing masks.

bdearl41

If the vaccine(s) doesn't prevent a very high percentage from being a carrier and spreader then herd immunity can never be reached and this virus will be around forever in various mutations like the flu.

Hopefully data out of Israel (due to the high percentage vaccinated) will be able to shed some light on this within a couple of months.
Israel and Iceland both. Most experts seem to think it prevents the shed of the virus. Hopefully that does turn out to be the case.

DisneyCane

Update after my wife's second shot of Moderna. After getting the shot around 10:30 AM she had some arm soreness similar to the first shot. Around 4 hours later, the soreness got worse and she said was significantly worse than the first shot. A little after 9 PM she started feeling a little cold. Around 10 PM she was feeling quite cold and couldn't get warm no matter how many blankets she put on top of her. Over the next two hours she got chills and around 1:30 AM got a terrible headache and took ibuprophen which helped with the headache. Around 3:30 the cold and chills were replaced with being hot and sweating. The other strange reaction which I haven't seen anybody report is she said the skin on her hands got extremely dry. By 5 AM everything seemed to subside except for the sore arm which she said is about the same pain as last night and the dry skin.

In summary a pretty sore arm and around 8 hours of unpleasantness.

JoeCamel

Update after my wife's second shot of Moderna. After getting the shot around 10:30 AM she had some arm soreness similar to the first shot. Around 4 hours later, the soreness got worse and she said was significantly worse than the first shot. A little after 9 PM she started feeling a little cold. Around 10 PM she was feeling quite cold and couldn't get warm no matter how many blankets she put on top of her. Over the next two hours she got chills and around 1:30 AM got a terrible headache and took ibuprophen which helped with the headache. Around 3:30 the cold and chills were replaced with being hot and sweating. The other strange reaction which I haven't seen anybody report is she said the skin on her hands got extremely dry. By 5 AM everything seemed to subside except for the sore arm which she said is about the same pain as last night and the dry skin.

I hope that is the last of it for her

Heppenheimer

My cluster of symptoms was similar (not identical), but the duration was about the same.

One of the nurses I work with had her second dose recently. In addition to all the symptoms documented, she also reported some temporary bone pain. The total duration of her symptoms was a little over 24 hours, but completely resolved now. As many of us are doing, she scheduled her second dose the day before her usual day off.

Touchdown

Can I please interrupt this thread for some good news for once? For the first time since this pandemic started, worldwide numbers of new cases are seeing a sharp decline (all graphs from world o meter)

3315DA7F-4767-4938-B853-2C30B3AB373B.jpeg

This is the first time, we have seen a steady decline for 4 weeks this entire pandemic, that’s huge! But, what about those scary varients surely those countries are seeing cases rise? Well here’s the UK:

395EACEE-6B54-4BC4-BBE8-4FBE7E5C175F.jpeg

South Africa:
92E89669-4E2A-4194-A019-96341F7C743C.jpeg

Brazil:

816F3CAB-1D06-4B55-88DC-B304457F0372.jpeg

As you can see, the UK and South Africa have clear drops in cases, Brazil appears to be at its peak. Even the mighty varients are on the retreat. Let’s look closer to home, in the United States:

F0EC57D1-F352-4627-B7AB-ED35F2A22269.jpeg

And for Disney Parks people the only two states that matter, Florida:

C99F034C-432B-433B-A97F-9F0297C3CF88.jpeg

and California:

8BEA5C86-5A0D-47B3-AD77-98C528AF8988.jpeg

In summary, things are really looking good around the world as it appears Covid is finally on the retreat. We aren’t out of the woods yet, but this drop in cases is allowing the world to focus on vaccinations. The longer this lull lasts, the less likely there will be another spike, as more will be vaccinated. For the first time in a year, there is light at the end of the tunnel, this thing may nearly be over. Get your shots, continue to mask, and come summer/fall this may be an unhappy memory.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can I please interrupt this thread for some good news for once? For the first time since this pandemic started, worldwide numbers of new cases are seeing a sharp decline (all graphs from world o meter)

View attachment 527256
This is the first time, we have seen a steady decline for 4 weeks this entire pandemic, that’s huge! But, what about those scary varients surely those countries are seeing cases rise? Well here’s the UK:

View attachment 527263
South Africa:
View attachment 527264
Brazil:

View attachment 527265
As you can see, the UK and South Africa have clear drops in cases, Brazil appears to be at its peak. Even the mighty varients are on the retreat. Let’s look closer to home, in the United States:

View attachment 527266

View attachment 527267
and California:

View attachment 527268
In summary, things are really looking good around the world as it appears Covid is finally on the retreat. We aren’t out of the woods yet, but this drop in cases is allowing the world to focus on vaccinations. The longer this lull lasts, the less likely there will be another spike, as more will be vaccinated. For the first time in a year, there is light at the end of the tunnel, this thing may nearly be over. Get your shots, continue to mask, and come summer/fall this may be an unhappy memory.
Amen. We’ve been talking about this for a little while now. I don’t want to get too over confident, but it appears this wave is finally starting to trend down. I also agree that at least for the US, UK and several other places the vaccinations are ramping up. Worldwide there‘s still some work to do. If we continue to practice good mitigation and hang on for a few more months I think we could see a really positive change in statistics. I also agree that if the vaccine production hits targets there‘s a good chance there is no next wave which would be amazing news :)

Heppenheimer

View attachment 527256

View attachment 527263
South Africa:
View attachment 527264
Brazil:

View attachment 527265

View attachment 527266

View attachment 527267
and California:

View attachment 527268
I wonder what combination of factors are at work here. Probably we're seeing the end of the holiday effect. By now, most nursing home residents who opted in should have received at least their first dose of the vaccination, and many will have completed their series, so I wonder if we have started to benefit from the first cohort of immunizations.

TrainsOfDisney

I wonder what combination of factors are at work here. Probably we're seeing the end of the holiday effect. By now, most nursing home residents who opted in should have received at least their first dose of the vaccination, and many will have completed their series, so I wonder if we have started to benefit from the first cohort of immunizations.
I’m guessing it’s the end of holidays. So many people were traveling and gathering for the thanksgiving - Christmas season all the way through New Years.

January is always a super slow month for travel, so 3 weeks into January and seeing a drop in cases makes sense.

Still great news and hopefully if there is another wave, enough of the most vulnerable will be vaccinated to keep the hospitalization and death rate down even if the cases spike again.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It's a tricky thing to measure. I can't think of a way you could study this like they do with effectivity. It is really going to come down to compare case counts with vaccination counts to see if places with better rates of vaccination are seeing lower case numbers.

Chi84

Premium Member
Historians will look back and be able to calculate how may people were killed by the lure of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
I wonder what happened in Illinois. Numbers went up after Halloween, but there were no spikes after Thanksgiving or Christmas. Everyone was worried, especially about Chicago, but the numbers have been going down pretty steadily since November 10, I think. I'd like to believe people here were more responsible in terms of holiday gatherings, but I sincerely doubt that was the case. We are on the more restrictive side with mitigation efforts, but compliance has started to slide in the last few months. Surprising, but certainly welcome.

dreday3

From the beginning they have been saying this may be part of our new seasonal virus friends - the cold, the flu, Covid-19. It's never going away.

That's why the companies who made the vaccine are now working on boosters for new variants, and will continue to do so from here on out I would imagine.. I think it will definitely become like the flu (as in ever-changing) and we will probably need annual (maybe longer) shots. Although a 95% efficacy rate is far better than the flu shot efficacy rate.

And when it becomes a normality and available to public in same quantities as flu shots, if people choose not to get the shots, then they need to make sure to protect themselves. And why working on a easily accessible treatment is still very important.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with everything you said, but mitigation efforts depend heavily on public support. Sure, the government can mandate masks on planes and federal property, but in other places its ability to enforce restrictions is very limited. In Illinois, we pretty much had a rebellion by the restaurant industry - too many restaurants to count were open for indoor dining in defiance of the governor's order. Businesses that used to enforce mask-wearing are becoming lax. Grocery store employees are wearing masks but congregating in close groups. I know of other employers that are also no longer enforcing social distancing among employees. The end is in sight, but that last mile seems to be the hardest for people.

I'm hoping this administration makes an all-out effort to get people on board with mitigation efforts until most of us can be vaccinated - after that, from what I'm seeing, it will probably be a lost cause no matter how good the reasons for continuing them. Police departments (at least where I live) don't have the resources to chase people around for not wearing masks.
Right...

But all that “defiance” is intellectually wrong and frankly dumb.

I’m just never going to shrug my shoulders and say “people are gonna do what they’re gonna do” 🤷🏻‍♂️

...Not in this overprivileged/pampered land.

This isn’t Bangladesh.

Shut up and mask up.

DisneyCane

Right...

But all that “defiance” is intellectually wrong and frankly dumb.

I’m just never going to shrug my shoulders and say “people are gonna do what they’re gonna do” 🤷🏻‍♂️

...Not in this overprivileged/pampered land.

This isn’t Bangladesh.

Shut up and mask up.

You do realize that this type of attitude/directive coming from people like you causes people to get defiant, don't you? If you want to get people to act in a certain way, an incentivized approach would work far better than a dictatorial "get in line" approach.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You do realize that this type of attitude/directive coming from people like you causes people to get defiant, don't you? If you want to get people to act in a certain way, an incentivized approach would work far better than a dictatorial "get in line" approach.
Sad, but probably true. People will put themselves and their family at risk just to show up some anonymous person on a social media site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom