The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Premium Member
I wouldn't mind doing that IF it didn't mean me having to cook. I don't enjoy cooking, and it feels really unfair for everyone to get vacation except me. So if we go on vacation, we're eating in restaurants, or I'm not going to do the cooking!
You don't have to cook. There are many, many good take away places in the area. The last place we rented had a great location. We could be to most parks before Disney transportation could get you there from most of their hotels.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That's what I love...there's no one right way to do Disney. You do whatever works for your group. There's no right way or wrong way. We have some fantastic memories. But if I was alone, I'd probably do more restaurants based on what to eat than an experience, because it's just not as fun with no one to share in it. I love the interactions between my kids and Cinderella's stepsisters....so.much.fun. But without the kids, I'd feel weird and wouldn't know what to say. It would just be awkward. And there are some places I really wish I could eat, but the kids aren't into ethnic foods, so they really wouldn't enjoy it, but I would go if I were alone.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever feel lonely or self-conscious on your trips? Sometimes I find myself craving alone time, but then 5 minutes later, I miss having companionship. I've never been alone at Disney, but it's so big and so loud, I'm afraid that the alone time would just make me feel insignificant and lonely. And I've always had a thing about eating alone...I always feel like everyone is looking at me and judging what I am eating. I wonder if being at Disney would make that worse because there are so many more people, or would it help because there are so many other things to look at that I could be more invisible.

Oh heck, no. I love solo travelling, but do wish that at least once hubs might "try" WDW. He's just not interested in it at all. He'll travel with me to other places, but not WDW. Not his cup of tea.

Years ago I was in the hotel business, and got to go to different places. Didn't bother me in the least to "solo". It's a whole different experience, and believe it or not, it also opens up random discussions with strangers, personnel in restaurants and hotels. I was never bored or lonely. (I'm not a big group type of person to begin with, so that's probably one of the reasons why.) Not saying traveling solo is for everyone, but some people really like it. :)

StarWarsGirl

Wine eliminates the allergy issue for the most part:angelic:
Not always sadly. They had to specially make the Sangria at Via Napoli because it contains pineapple normally. It depends on the wine because some still have issues with the fruits.

I'm just not as into drinking even as much as I used to be. I value sleep more, and it disturbs my sleep.

Songbird76

There have been some issues with the online grocery shoppers. Our supermarkets have clear up or down arrows for aisles, so that shoppers will all be heading in the same direction in any aisle. This lessens face to face (for social distancing), if all are going in the same direction.

However, sometimes the people hired for the online shopping (with the larger carts) don't respect the arrows, and I nearly had a collision with one that flew around the corner in a (down) arrow aisle, when I was an UP arrow line. The guy apologized for nearly ramming into me, and he turned around and slowed down.

The other issue (a few months ago) was that some of those shoppers were entering the store during the senior-customers-only shopping hour; and after complaints, the management put that to a halt.

Lastly, for the polite ones, they do provide a service for people who cannot get out to a grocery store, or prefer to stay home until the pandemic slows down. I can see how people like the service at least for basic items (boxes of cereal, for example). But for meat, fresh veggies or dairy, I think I'd be more careful selecting those items. (Especially milk -- I always reach in the back of the shelf for the fresher milk date.)
Are high risk people not allowed to go during the senior hour? I actually have a friend in the UK who has not been to the grocery store for months because her husband is high risk because of a medical condition. They order their groceries and have them delivered. But our grocery store here has an hour where it's only seniors and people in high risk groups. But you can't tell by looking at someone that they are in a high risk group.

I hate those arrow things! We don't have them in the grocery store, but they have them in the drugstore. It is awful though, because the arrows don't go in a logical way, and if you need something from one aisle, you can't get back to the main aisle to go to another if you need something from that one, too. It doesn't go up and down alternately, there's only one aisle going up and all the others go down, but you also can't get from the down aisles to the up aisles because it's blockaded. You come in, take a basket and sanitize your hands, walk up that one aisle, and then choose which of the 3 down aisles you want to go into and they all come out at the cash registers, where there's a line and you can not avoid people. It's ridiculous.

FutureCEO

Surprising find today, I signed up for a free trial on ancestry.com and most of it was what I already knew so far but my grandmothers family who not a lot of people thought was German for she had an Italian last name (maiden) but always said she was. Well, she is German and also a fair amount of ancestors also come from Switzerland. Too bad citizenship blood laws don't go back that far (1800s). 🤣 I also miss Portuguese citizenship by a generation unless my grandmother become a citizen after being born here.

What stinks about it is that anyone alive is basically not on the site. Unless you probably do the DNA test. I had to quite. Afting added brother and sisters for all...way too many people. And back then they had like 20 thousands kids.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Oh heck, no. I love solo travelling, but do wish that at least once hubs might "try" WDW. He's just not interested in it at all. He'll travel with me to other places, but not WDW. Not his cup of tea.

Years ago I was in the hotel business, and got to go to different places. Didn't bother me in the least to "solo". It's a whole different experience, and believe it or not, it also opens up random discussions with strangers, personnel in restaurants and hotels. I was never bored or lonely. (I'm not a big group type of person to begin with, so that's probably one of the reasons why.) Not saying traveling solo is for everyone, but some people really like it. :)
Oh I'm definitely not a big group person. I really am not a partier.

When I was in high school, I was the only one in my school who made All-State music festival. So it was just my choir teacher and me and the rules were that the teacher had to have a separate room from students. So I had my own room and I was sooooo lonely! It's a 3 day long thing with rehearsals during the day and then there's a banquet and dance one night for the kids while the teachers have their own dinner and they go to workshops during the day. Then the last evening is a massive concert. All the kids who were chosen rehearse together and then perform that night. It's mostly Juniors and Seniors who make it and they choose around 100-150 students from around the state for each ensemble (choir, band, orchestra). I was a Freshman, so I was already one of the youngest, I didn't know anyone, and there was no one else from my school. So I went in, sat down at an empty table, people started coming in and they are all sitting with other kids from their schools and my table remained empty except for me. 400 kids in the room and I was so incredibly lonely and out of place. I felt like a total fraud, like I shouldn't be there. There was a table with three girls not too far away, and they kept looking at me. Finally they asked me if I was alone or if there were more people joining me. I confirmed that it was just me and they took pity on me and invited me to sit with them. They were all from different schools but were the only ones who had made the choir from their schools and the band and orchestra kids were sitting somewhere else, so they formed their own group. I was SO grateful and they were so nice to include me. I don't like big groups, but I also don't like to be alone.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Are high risk people not allowed to go during the senior hour? I actually have a friend in the UK who has not been to the grocery store for months because her husband is high risk because of a medical condition. They order their groceries and have them delivered. But our grocery store here has an hour where it's only seniors and people in high risk groups. But you can't tell by looking at someone that they are in a high risk group.

I hate those arrow things! We don't have them in the grocery store, but they have them in the drugstore. It is awful though, because the arrows don't go in a logical way, and if you need something from one aisle, you can't get back to the main aisle to go to another if you need something from that one, too. It doesn't go up and down alternately, there's only one aisle going up and all the others go down, but you also can't get from the down aisles to the up aisles because it's blockaded. You come in, take a basket and sanitize your hands, walk up that one aisle, and then choose which of the 3 down aisles you want to go into and they all come out at the cash registers, where there's a line and you can not avoid people. It's ridiculous.

Senior hours are for seniors, 65 and older. Most stores also allow pregnant women during the senior hour, and any shoppers who have specific medical vulnerabilities (as defined by the CDC guidelines only).

The above "senior hours" guidelines may vary from state to state.

The aisle arrows are a bit annoying at times, but I comply with them, as they do help to distance shoppers.

Songbird76

Surprising find today, I signed up for a free trial on ancestry.com and most of it was what I already knew so far but my grandmothers family who not a lot of people thought was German for she had an Italian last name (maiden) but always said she was. Well, she is German and also a fair amount of ancestors also come from Switzerland. Too bad citizenship blood laws don't go back that far (1800s). 🤣 I also miss Portuguese citizenship by a generation unless my grandmother become a citizen after being born here.

What stinks about it is that anyone alive is basically not on the site. Unless you probably do the DNA test. I had to quite. Afting added brother and sisters for all...way too many people. And back then they had like 20 thousands kids.
If you are interested in genealogy, there are a lot of free resources online, too. There's an organization that has done a lot of research with volunteers so people can access their ancesty for free. There are cemetery lists and church registries with births, marriages, deaths, etc. It depends on which state...not all of them have as much info because it's all volunteer based, but there are some that have quite a bit. I want to say it's called genweb project and then you choose which state you want to look at.

93boomer

Premium Member
Senior hours are for seniors, 65 and older. Most stores also allow pregnant women during the senior hour, and any shoppers who have specific medical vulnerabilities (as defined by the CDC guidelines only).

The aisle arrows are a bit annoying at times, but I comply with them, as they do help to distance shoppers.
We have the same here.

StarWarsGirl

Yeah, technically I'm allowed to use senior hours because of my asthma, but I've never bothered.

I hate those arrows. Yesterday I was at the store and they weren't helping at all. It was nice to go to the store in SC because it was so huge that they didn't need the arrows.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yeah, technically I'm allowed to use senior hours because of my asthma, but I've never bothered.

I hate those arrows. Yesterday I was at the store and they weren't helping at all. It was nice to go to the store in SC because it was so huge that they didn't need the arrows.
I certainly don't miss the arrows in stores. Just wish we could have kept social distancing
back off help GIF

FutureCEO

If you are interested in genealogy, there are a lot of free resources online, too. There's an organization that has done a lot of research with volunteers so people can access their ancesty for free. There are cemetery lists and church registries with births, marriages, deaths, etc. It depends on which state...not all of them have as much info because it's all volunteer based, but there are some that have quite a bit. I want to say it's called genweb project and then you choose which state you want to look at.

The Genealogy of Canada website is so good. Puts the US one to shame.

donaldtoo

Wah - Hooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull: Thank God your parents' house is FINALLY ready for them to move in!!! They must be thrilled, as you all are, I'm sure.

Looked ahead and saw the other photos you shared as well. Very nice inside, especially as more of their funiture and belongings get moved in -- and the house just really has that REAL "home" vibe about it -- perfect for them. ❤️

(P.S.: Remembering back to your posts at the time of the fire, and how sad everyone was. It's so wonderful to see how far everything has come back to normal, and glad that all are happy now.)

Santa!! :jawdrop: :D

Thank you so very much, Minnie...!!! :)
And indeed, they are very thrilled, as well as the rest of us...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Although moving is stressful in and of itself, and they’re still waiting for some furniture they ordered to be delivered and a few other issues to be resolved, you can tell their stress level has gone down significantly...!!! :)
It was just so indescribably nice to be back in the house over the weekend helping them...they’re finally back HOME, and “Family Central” is BACK...!!!!! :happy:

As to the Santa part, his beard is much better lookin’ than that thing I currently have on my face...!!!!! :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom