News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

I think this is absolutely true, but do people seeing the Pandora show building from outside the park even know that is what it is? It can’t really mess up the experience unless you can tie them together which most guests wouldn’t be able to do.
I think it’s pretty obvious. As was Everest before the trees grew in.

Also Galaxies Edge from several on stage areas.

Disney Analyst

I’m saying this in an extreme way, but why would you think that? Cause the average guest is too stupid to understand what you understand?

It doesn’t take a Disney historian to understand that the big box with rocks on sticks is Pandora or Galaxies Edge.

As someone who had worked in restaurants almost two decades, and also did a summer stint as an international at Magic Kingdom working... my experience is anecdotal... but the general public are clueless.

I have many stories to share. The amount of people who enter a restaurant and can’t figure out how to get out...

TrainsOfDisney

As someone who had worked in restaurants almost two decades, and also did a summer stint as an international at Magic Kingdom working... my experience is anecdotal... but the general public are clueless.

I have many stories to share. The amount of people who enter a restaurant and can’t figure out how to get out...
“ I happen to think it’s the height of arrogance to assert that other theoretical “people” aren’t going to understand something that you yourself understand. Like you are better or something. That means your theoretical world of people is full of dumb people. Mine is full of smart, curious people.” - Joe Rohde

SilentWindODoom

Is it not to allow for the tall water pageant floats or anything else that may come to cross the roadway without needing a drawbridge since it's one of the prime thoroughfares and leads to a deluxe hotel?

You're entitled to that opinion, however part of the magic of so many Disney dark rides is the appearance that the entire attraction takes place within that facade. When the fact that something is a facade is revealed before you see the actual facade, it takes away from that experience.

Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, DINOSAUR and many others intentionally hide the show building to contribute to the magic of the attraction. In a land as immersive as Pandora, having that appearance broken before you even see it, hurts the experience.

That's done from the entrance area of the ride, is meant to play into that the facade is, and in the case of the first example doesn't even work since you can see the building from the exit.

Tron isn't a house or a mountain or a museum. It's just kind of an abstract... shape. It's a building, like the rest of Tomorrowland (save for the Speedway).

yensidtlaw1969

I always think on stage truly needs to be as hidden and in theme as possible.

But I’ve always been of the opinion that backstage views happen from outside the parks and it really does not bother me. Especially when majority of guests likely don’t even know what they are looking at.
Backstage views from outside the parks didn't really happen for the first 30+ years of the resort.

Tron isn't a house or a mountain or a museum. It's just kind of an abstract... shape. It's a building, like the rest of Tomorrowland (save for the Speedway).
So it could have been anything? Then why make it Square? It's certainly not motivated by an effort to fit the theme, given the way the main part of the building you're *meant* to see is an undulating, organic piece of architecture.

Jrb1979

I’m saying this in an extreme way, but why would you think that? Cause the average guest is too stupid to understand what you understand?

It doesn’t take a Disney historian to understand that the big box with rocks on sticks is Pandora or Galaxies Edge.
I can understand where she is coming from. From going to many amusement parks over the years the general public isn't always the brightest. Seat belt first, lap bar second seems for many to be the most difficult instructions to follow in the world.

TrainsOfDisney

I can understand where she is coming from. From going to many amusement parks over the years the general public isn't always the brightest. Seat belt first, lap bar second seems for many to be the most difficult instructions to follow in the world.
That’s not how it works on every coaster though, sometimes the seatbelt attaches after the restraints go down.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
You're entitled to that opinion, however part of the magic of so many Disney dark rides is the appearance that the entire attraction takes place within that facade. When the fact that something is a facade is revealed before you see the actual facade, it takes away from that experience.

Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, DINOSAUR and many others intentionally hide the show building to contribute to the magic of the attraction. In a land as immersive as Pandora, having that appearance broken before you even see it, hurts the experience.
I didn’t notice the Pandora building prior to going on it. Or after. I was looking at the entrance and chasing my children and making sure I had my metal items set aside and chasing my children and trying to avoid running people over with a stroller and chasing my children and somehow I didn’t notice a large building not intended to be a focal point (in a sea of intentional focal points) that without the assistance of the internet I would never have been able to ID.

ToTBellHop

I didn’t notice the Pandora building prior to going on it. Or after. I was looking at the entrance and chasing my children and making sure I had my metal items set aside and chasing my children and trying to avoid running people over with a stroller and chasing my children and somehow I didn’t notice a large building that without the assistance of the internet I would never have been able to ID.
I don’t think you see it unless you’re on a Disney bus, in which case it’s hard not to notice the building. What irritates me more is the “floating“ mountains on toothpicks. Ruins the illusion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Concrete wasteland with Castle beckoning directly ahead. We pass through entry gate and stand before partners statue and castle. No build-up, no storytelling.
You can't see the castle from outside the park. If the lake was a parking lot, all you'd see looking directly at the entrance is the train station. It's an effective berm. Because of the lake, it wasn't even needed, but, as it is, it creates as second 'reveal' going through the tunnels.

sedati

You can't see the castle from outside the park. If the lake was a parking lot, all you'd see looking directly at the entrance is the train station. It's an effective berm. Because of the lake, it wasn't even needed, but, as it is, it creates as second 'reveal' going through the tunnels.
Keeping with the EPCOT Center comparison I was also picturing the icon being place right at the entry plaza.
Parking lot... ticketing/gates... Boom.
No transitions, no big reveals, just an immediate payoff.

SilentWindODoom

Backstage views from outside the parks didn't really happen for the first 30+ years of the resort.

That's true. During that time we just had to deal with backstage views inside the parks.

peter_pan_from_skyway_buiter.jpg
Vint-Jan-72-73-disney-skyway-over-fantasyland-magic-kingdom.jpg

1997-skyway_02abcde.png

RSoxNo1

I don’t think you see it unless you’re on a Disney bus, in which case it’s hard not to notice the building. What irritates me more is the “floating“ mountains on toothpicks. Ruins the illusion.
You can absolutely see the Pandora building driving in and coming in on a bus. Everest however is now effectively hidden unless you're looking for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom