News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

CSJORDAN

Disney of today treats in park "immersion" different from outside the parks. DAK in particular kinda had an intentional poor show outside the park to contrast with the lush inside the park environment.

I know we all have different levels of tolerance, but I'm not really bothered by seeing backstage stuff when I'm outside the parks. But the view of the Tron box from the circus does bug me. I do hope they are able to plant enough trees to obscure that (doesn't seem like it should be that tough to me even with limited land)
Are you referring to the view of the back of Pandora with DAK? If so, I agree for sure about the backstage view, but that's coming from someone who knows what it really is. Normal tourists/guests might not be as aware

Surfin' Tuna

The view from outside DAK is bad, but I think people are willing to give more leeway with regard to DAK vs MK. They went to great lengths to worry about sight lines at MK when opening. There is a reason they sank the roadway approaching the Contemporary. They now know people will come no matter what they do. This could have all been avoided by putting Tron in Epcot and Guardians in DHS.

peter11435

The view from outside DAK is bad, but I think people are willing to give more leeway with regard to DAK vs MK. They went to great lengths to worry about sight lines at MK when opening. There is a reason they sank the roadway approaching the Contemporary. They now know people will come no matter what they do. This could have all been avoided by putting Tron in Epcot and Guardians in DHS.
Unmmm... there were some awful sight lines around the MK in 1971 and some of them remain an issue to this day. Also the sunken road way has nothing at all to do with sight lines

RSoxNo1

Everest is largely obscured from the parking lot now, but the tree growth only reached that point around the year that Pandora construction became visible. The Pandora building isn't overly tall and could easily be hidden by tree cover. The fact they haven't done it, is a tough pill to swallow.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Warning, unpopular opinion...

If I'm in a giant black-top asphalt parking lot surrounded by thousands of cars and bus depots and other infrastructure, I don't care what sort of themed or unthemed glimpses of the park I get from outside the park. I'm already in an unthemed wasteland.

So, the only park that I would care about outside-the-park theming is MK, which has endeavored making the approach to the park from very far away to be all nicely themed. Good idea in theory. In practice, it makes actually getting into the park a hassle having to cross a lake with huge crowds to do so. I wind up cursing this attempt at outside-the-park theming.

Mind you, I have experienced a pleasant approach to the MK when crowds were low and I wasn't jammed into the monorail or ferry. But we all know how overcrowded MK has become. And waiting for the next monorail/ferry, or the one after that, and getting packed in is not so much fun. At that point, I care little for how well themed outside-the-park is.

_caleb

If I'm in a giant black-top asphalt parking lot surrounded by thousands of cars and bus depots and other infrastructure, I don't care what sort of themed or unthemed glimpses of the park I get from outside the park. I'm already in an unthemed wasteland.

So, the only park that I would care about outside-the-park theming is MK, which has endeavored making the approach to the park from very far away to be all nicely themed. Good idea in theory. In practice, it makes actually getting into the park a hassle having to cross a lake with huge crowds to do so. I wind up cursing this attempt at outside-the-park theming.

Mind you, I have experienced a pleasant approach to the MK when crowds were low and I wasn't jammed into the monorail or ferry. But we all know how overcrowded MK has become. And waiting for the next monorail/ferry, or the one after that, and getting packed in is not so much fun. At that point, I care little for how well themed outside-the-park is.
From your perspective, would there be a limit to what you’re okay with seeing from outside the parks? Do you see a difference between unthemed areas (like the outside of a plain, unthemed building), and clearly-visible backstage areas (like garbage dumpsters and foodservice delivery).

I can see a difference, and to my knowledge, Disney still does (and should continue to do) a decent job of hiding the ugly inner-workings even if they don’t put much effort into theming the backside of rockwork and stuff.

Disney Analyst

I’m with you.

TrainsOfDisney

I know what you’re saying but I don’t agree. I think everything that can be seen by the public is “on stage”, even if it’s off property (such as the back of Cars Land at DCA).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

If seven seas was the parking lot, the park appearance from there would be just as important as now, and would mostly look as well as it does now. EPCOT Center was similarly designed.

RSoxNo1

You're entitled to that opinion, however part of the magic of so many Disney dark rides is the appearance that the entire attraction takes place within that facade. When the fact that something is a facade is revealed before you see the actual facade, it takes away from that experience.

Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, DINOSAUR and many others intentionally hide the show building to contribute to the magic of the attraction. In a land as immersive as Pandora, having that appearance broken before you even see it, hurts the experience.

LittleBuford

I’ll go further: I actually enjoy catching such backstage glimpses. I like seeing how things work behind the magic.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ll go further: I actually enjoy catching such backstage glimpses. I like seeing how things work behind the magic.
That’s what backstage tours are for!
I agree, I do as well.

There’s also a place for intentional backstage views like catastrophe canyon and wildlife express. While I disagree with the design of wildlife express, it was intended, as built, to show backstage areas.

LittleBuford

That’s what backstage tours are for!
I agree, I do as well.

There’s also a place for intentional backstage views like catastrophe canyon and wildlife express. While I disagree with the design of wildlife express, it was intended, as built, to show backstage areas.
There are different levels of backstage, of course, and some of them are best left for tours, while others (such as those listed by @_caleb) are best left unseen altogether. As for what one might view from outside the parks, I realise not everyone will share my perspective (indeed, most here appear not to), but I feel it's important to underscore that there are those of us who care deeply about theming but have no issue with (and may even be welcoming of) the kinds of backstage glimpses that others find so egregious.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The lack of depth perception makes it hard to tell, but that tree is bigger and older than it looks. It's probably been there since opening day. But hopefully they do replant similarly large trees along the area.

That's part of why I posted this picture from the Barnstormer queue - the combo of the queue grading up and the land outside the Train Tracks grading down makes it even harder to block the building. But I really do hope they make it happen.
FIXED!
walle.png

lazyboy97o

There are different levels of backstage, of course, and some of them are best left for tours, while others (such as those listed by @_caleb) are best left unseen altogether. As for what one might view from outside the parks, I realise not everyone will share my perspective (indeed, most here appear not to), but I feel it's important to underscore that there are those of us who care deeply about theming but have no issue with (and may even be welcoming of) the kinds of backstage glimpses that others find so egregious.
Isn’t scarcity part of what makes such views alluring and interesting?

doctornick

You're entitled to that opinion, however part of the magic of so many Disney dark rides is the appearance that the entire attraction takes place within that facade. When the fact that something is a facade is revealed before you see the actual facade, it takes away from that experience.

Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, DINOSAUR and many others intentionally hide the show building to contribute to the magic of the attraction. In a land as immersive as Pandora, having that appearance broken before you even see it, hurts the experience.
I think this is absolutely true, but do people seeing the Pandora show building from outside the park even know that is what it is? It can’t really mess up the experience unless you can tie them together which most guests wouldn’t be able to do.

I bring up the Soarin’ show building a lot on these discussions as it draws a lot of ire. Personally I think it is well blended in and tough to see unless you know to be looking for it. But more importantly, if I hadn’t read it was the soarin’ ride I would have no idea. I would have just thought it was some generic backstage support building - or even something unrelated to the park. From where you are able to see it, it doesn’t even look like it’s part of Epcot.

Now Tron is a different issue as you can see the ride go in and out of the building. While the canopy helps for (some) of the in park views, it should be better hidden from other angles. Or honestly it should have a themed exterior just like Space. Tron itself would allow for some “in the grid” style theming that would make the view of the building more palatable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom