Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At least they're doubling down on their Splash retheme and giving raises to execs, rather than doing anything for the people who actually deserve something.

This is so backwards. I'm using dark humor but this legitimately has me furious.

...but you’re not shocked, are you? I bet you kinda expected moves like this?

This is par for the course. Just realism.

Unbanshee

People saying an additional 4k at theme parks can't read. It says "primarily" at DPEP. This means that the 28k very likely stands. It's not impossible to find 4k around other segments of the company. TWDC isn't just parks and the 32 figure is the entire company

Slpy3270

In addition to measures the Company has already taken in response to COVID-19, there are a number of additional mitigating actions the Company may take in the future such as not declaring dividends (which the Board of Directors did not declare with respect to fiscal 2020 operations); reducing, or not making certain payments, such as some contributions to our pension and postretirement medical plans; raising additional financing; further suspending capital spending; reducing film and television content investments; or implementing additional furloughs or reductions in force.

2020-2029 is gonna be 1998-2005 all over again.

Even when this pandemic ends, Disney will be embracing austerity as quickly as Germany for the foreseeable future. It will be a miracle if Phase 4 of the MCU is even good, or if Feige doesn't leave on acrimonious terms.

gdrj

Nothing like announcing this the day before thanksgiving.
1- its not like the people who are impacted, found out yet.
2-there are legal requirements of public notice.
3-with Disneyland closed, Paris closed, WDW max 35% capacity, large % of hotel rooms closed, no international travel, it is not surprise. Of course having Chapek in charge doesnt help.

Goofyernmost

1- its not like the people who are impacted, found out yet.
2-there are legal requirements of public notice.
3-with Disneyland closed, Paris closed, WDW max 35% capacity, large % of hotel rooms closed, no international travel, it is not surprise. Of course having Chapek in charge doesnt help.
You started out saying all the things that make it part of reality until you got to the last part. You're telling me that Chapek is the creator of the Pandemic? If he isn't then blaming this on him is without any merit at all. What Chapek would have done if the Pandemic didn't exist is just not possible to know and it doesn't matter what his past actions were, his responsibility is a lot different with his new title.

Besides that the BoD is the ultimate approval of any cuts or expenses. No business, albeit an entertainment venue, would be wise to continue to pay people that are unneeded. Now what happens after the Pandemic ends, within a reasonable time window, is when we can start being critical of actions that do not make sense. In spite of what seems like a huge amount of net worth a very large amount of that are physical objects like, let's say Haunted Mansion. That doesn't give them the money to pay people with what is obviously a huge loss of revenue. They can't very well pay the help by giving them pieces of Haunted Mansion can they. Worth is not just cash.

Even using the "Executive Bonas card isn't legit! What they pay out in Bonuses would, at best cover only a couple of weeks of full payroll. Let's put our anger and energies into doing what is necessary to get this deadly illness to go away instead of grasping at straws and blaming things that have done nothing more then react to a very bad situation that we are all part of.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing like announcing this the day before thanksgiving.

Chapek has to be thankful for something this year...

They managed to bury the lead on this one quite effectively. But the “news” managed to partially do their job and pick it up nonetheless.

People saying an additional 4k at theme parks can't read. It says "primarily" at DPEP. This means that the 28k very likely stands. It's not impossible to find 4k around other segments of the company. TWDC isn't just parks and the 32 figure is the entire company

But just to be clear: those figures are GONE. I think there’s this illusion that somehow when the Hoted/parks fill back up that things “reset” and somehow the new reality is like the old one. It’s gone. Especially if we reward them for dumping tens of thousands overboard. And we will.

2020-2029 is gonna be 1998-2005 all over again.

Even when this pandemic ends, Disney will be embracing austerity as quickly as Germany for the foreseeable future. It will be a miracle if Phase 4 of the MCU is even good, or if Feige doesn't leave on acrimonious terms.

Not to brag...I just can’t shut off common sense...but if you check the tape I said this 6 months ago.

Here’s how Wall Street now works: good times are an opportunity to overcharge and exploit...and recessions are an opportunity to shed your staff and exploit. Econ 101 in the 21st century.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You started out saying all the things that make it part of reality until you got to the last part. You're telling me that Chapek is the creator of the Pandemic? If he isn't then blaming this on him is without any merit at all. What Chapek would have done if the Pandemic didn't exist is just not possible to know and it doesn't matter what his past actions were, his responsibility is a lot different with his new title.

Besides that the BoD is the ultimate approval of any cuts or expenses. No business, albeit an entertainment venue, would be wise to continue to pay people that are unneeded. Now what happens after the Pandemic ends, within a reasonable time window, is when we can start being critical of actions that do not make sense. In spite of what seems like a huge amount of net worth a very large amount of that are physical objects like, let's say Haunted Mansion. That doesn't give them the money to pay people with what is obviously a huge loss of revenue. They can't very well pay the help by giving them pieces of Haunted Mansion can they. Worth is not just cash.

Even using the "Executive Bonas card isn't legit! What they pay out in Bonuses would, at best cover only a couple of weeks of full payroll. Let's put our anger and energies into doing what is necessary to get this deadly illness to go away instead of grasping at straws and blaming things that have done nothing more then react to a very bad situation that we are all part of.

You can’t blame
Chapek...he’s not really in charge anyway...but you can’t blame the bobs.

I blame all of us for how Disney has been allowed to operate for now close to two decades. There’s no going back. We reward for every cut throat move. Because we’re Spoiled and can’t control ourselves.
Soulless and rapacious is what you get because it’s better for those at the top of the money funnel. Roy E. was right...the rich men almost always are.

Touchdown

Let’s see what happens, business travel as we know it will likely never return. That means for the first time in a very long time leisure travel will need to be courted in markets that have not needed to do that before. It’s going to change the travel industry significantly likely in ways we can’t expect.

Disney is going to have a lot more competition then they did prior as major metropolises try extremely hard to boost leisure travel to offset the loss of business travel. Sporting Events and Concerts took a major hit this year and will likely be viewed as unsafe by a percentage of the population, they are going to have to do something to get people back. Not to mention, National Park visitation skyrocketed this year, people are experiencing different vacations and are likely to be more savvy with their money.

Competition will be stiff in the next few years. I think if they try the austerity ploy too hard they will get a backlash. At least that’s what I hope will happen.

Disstevefan1

Let’s see what happens, business travel as we know it will likely never return. That means for the first time in a very long time leisure travel will need to be courted in markets that have not needed to do that before. It’s going to change the travel industry significantly likely in ways we can’t expect.

Disney is going to have a lot more competition then they did prior as major metropolises try extremely hard to boost leisure travel to offset the loss of business travel. Sporting Events and Concerts took a major hit this year and will likely be viewed as unsafe by a percentage of the population, they are going to have to do something to get people back. Not to mention, National Park visitation skyrocketed this year, people are experiencing different vacations and are likely to be more savvy with their money.

Competition will be stiff in the next few years. I think if they try the austerity ploy too hard they will get a backlash. At least that’s what I hope will happen.
Not so sure about the competition. As a destination, WDW has proved its safe and gets no resistance from its local government while other destinations in NY and CA continue to get strangled by their local governments.

Jrb1979

I can see a lot of regional parks getting a boost as well. Outside of the hardcores on sites like this, a lot choose their local park over Disney a lot.

Lilofan

That's incorrect. The additional 4K layoffs in the first quarter of 2021 will come from Parks, Resorts and Experiences not the entire company.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not so sure about the competition. As a destination, WDW has proved its safe and gets no resistance from its local government while other destinations in NY and CA continue to get strangled by their local governments.

...no threat...ever.

I feel like that’s been said. And it was always true.

Here’s the difference: little brother up the street has cut into market share over the last 10 years.
Orlando is changing...it used to be about growing the “pie” and everyone making more off the same cut.
Now it’s going to transition to fighting for the same pie...because the consumers will not become increasingly wealthy...the opposite according to all indicators, actually.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Sentinel seems to think its 4k at the parks as well.

"On the day before Thanksgiving, the Walt Disney Co. revealed 4,000 more layoffs are coming in its theme parks division, bringing the total number of announced layoffs to 32,000 across the company."

Slpy3270

2021 will determine if Disney gets a V-shaped recovery or a cultural depression that will see it get taken over by hedge funds a la Time Warner and broken up for parts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom