News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I figured that was obvious, but yes record since the pandemic.

I am not saying that it is a good thing or bad thing. It is interesting that even with all the restrictions travel is still increasing. Airlines are even seeing more travel this week, even with including some cancellations.

I do disagree though , more travel done safely will not cause more death. Wear a mask, distance, keep within your group etc. That is like saying going to WDW will cause more death, which is doesn't.
And just for the record I never said going to WDW will cause death. Getting together indoors with multiple people outside your household for Thanksgiving without masks and distancing will. The vast majority of the “record breaking“ increase in flying isn‘t people going to WDW, it’s people going to a relative or friend’s house for Thanksgiving.

Miss Bella

And just for the record I never said going to WDW will cause death. Getting together indoors with multiple people outside your household for Thanksgiving without masks and distancing will. The vast majority of the “record breaking“ increase in flying isn‘t people going to WDW, it’s people going to a relative or friend’s house for Thanksgiving.
I guess I should start working on the funeral arrangements then.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can’t fix stupid.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I guess I should start working on the funeral arrangements then.
I wouldn’t spend a lot of time doing anything that dramatic because the odds aren’t great it will be you, but it still could be. Every time you see a story about a family gathering that turned into a super spreader the plot is the same...we never thought it would happen to us, nobody was sick going in, we thought we’d be ok because we are younger and healthy and yet there’s the family with several dead and others hospitalized saying don‘t do what we did, follow the recommendations. The vast majority of people who gather will be fine but the negative outcome will still happen to many someones on Thanksgiving. Not worth the risk to me.

legwand77

The CDC and just about every infectious disease expert on the planet disagrees with you...but yeah, I’m sure you know more than all of those people ;););)
by the same token WDW , every airline flying agrees with me. Even the CDC does not disagree with me says "may" and not "will" as you stated.

Last edited:

legwand77

or perhaps those traveling, quarantined prior, got tested prior and and will on return, wear masks and travel safely, as many on this board have described of their own trips. It is not as black or white as you are making it out to be. Would love to see the stats to back up "vast majority" are traveling dangerously. More chance that it is the opposite

GoofGoof

Premium Member
by the same token WDW , every airline flying agrees with me. Even the CDC does not disagree with me says "may" and not "will" as you stated.
WDW is fine, I don’t know why you keep trying to paint a picture that I’m saying it’s not. My point stands. You pointed to the uptick in flying this weekend as a good sign, but the driver of the uptick in flying isn’t for people traveling to WDW, it’s for people traveling to see family for the holidays. Are there some people traveling to WDW, sure, but that’s not what’s driving the increase considering flights are up in every airport not just Orlando.
or perhaps those traveling, quarantined prior, got tested prior and and will on return, wear masks and travel safely, as many on this board have described of their own trips. It is not as black or white as you are making it out to be. Would love to see the stats to back up "vast majority" are traveling dangerously. More chance that it is the opposite
If you want to believe people will board a plane, fly to visit family and then only see them for limited time, outside with masks and distancing you are free to believe that but you are kidding yourself. People are going to be spending the weekend with family. Maybe some quarantined before hand, but then they went to the airport and kinda ruined that. It’s not about traveling dangerously, it’s about what you do while you are away. Again, if you want to believe most people are going to follow all other CDC recommendations after ignoring the “don‘t travel” one, you are free to believe that but I’m way more skeptical.

legwand77

WDW is fine, I don’t know why you keep trying to paint a picture that I’m saying it’s not. My point stands. You pointed to the uptick in flying this weekend as a good sign, but the driver of the uptick in flying isn’t for people traveling to WDW, it’s for people traveling to see family for the holidays. Are there some people traveling to WDW, sure, but that’s not what’s driving the increase considering flights are up in every airport not just Orlando.

If you want to believe people will board a plane, fly to visit family and then only see them for limited time, outside with masks and distancing you are free to believe that but you are kidding yourself. People are going to be spending the weekend with family. Maybe some quarantined before hand, but then they went to the airport and kinda ruined that. It’s not about traveling dangerously, it’s about what you do while you are away. Again, if you want to believe most people are going to follow all other CDC recommendations after ignoring the “don‘t travel” one, you are free to believe that but I’m way more skeptical.
You said people traveling will cause more death. All I stated was travel done safely will not cause more death. Sure traveling may cause more death, as WDW trips, any travel, going to the grocery store, or in general do anything. This is the stance of the CDC, experts etc etc.

If travel causes deaths then the airlines are liable to causing more deaths. Which they are not. Or I do you want to shut down the airlines WDW and not allow movement outside of a home.

Regarding traveling to the parks, both Universal parks hit capacity today and will the rest of the week most likely. DIsney is also going to the be busiest it has been since reopening as stated by Disney themselves.

this is Fantasyland today within the past hour

EniSTvsW4AAUBfT.jpg

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You said people traveling will cause more death. All I stated was travel done safely will not cause more death. Sure traveling may cause more death, as WDW trips, any travel, going to the grocery store, or in general do anything. This is the stance of the CDC, experts etc etc.

If travel causes deaths then the airlines are liable to causing more deaths. Which they are not. Or I do you want to shut down the airlines WDW and not allow movement outside of a home.

Regarding traveling to the parks, both Universal parks hit capacity today and will the rest of the week most likely. DIsney is also going to the be busiest it has been since reopening as stated by Disney themselves.

this is Fantasyland today within the past hour

View attachment 515143
People traveling to visit family for Thanksgiving will cause deaths...not may...will. Obviously not every person who travels will cause a death but there will be spread of the virus and a percent of the people infected do die. Those are just facts and it’s a logical conclusion to draw. You keep coming back to “traveling safely” but if you travel somewhere and then have a large Thanksgiving gathering that by definition is not safe unless in the rare instance people stay outdoors, wear masks and distance and limit the time spent together. I have no delusions that all of the people traveling will do that. You are free to believe it.

legwand77

People traveling to visit family for Thanksgiving will cause deaths...not may...will. Obviously not every person who travels will cause a death but there will be spread of the virus and a percent of the people infected do die. Those are just facts and it’s a logical conclusion to draw. You keep coming back to “traveling safely” but if you travel somewhere and then have a large Thanksgiving gathering that by definition is not safe unless in the rare instance people stay outdoors, wear masks and distance and limit the time spent together. I have no delusions that all of the people traveling will do that. You are free to believe it.
So the issue for you is not actually with travel, but having an unsafe thanksgiving gathering and that could be in the same neighborhood, town or a flight away.

Again, the CDC since you referenced them, does not say having a large gathering will cause deaths, they say may, and there is a reason they say it that way.

Either way , agree to disagree

and on a sincere note - Have a wonderful Thanksgiving in what ever way one feels is best for them.

Parker in NYC

I figured that was obvious, but yes record since the pandemic.

I am not saying that it is a good thing or bad thing. It is interesting that even with all the restrictions travel is still increasing. Airlines are even seeing more travel this week, even with including some cancellations.

I do disagree though , more travel done safely will not cause more death. Wear a mask, distance, keep within your group etc. That is like saying going to WDW will cause more death, which is doesn't.
You're still, lo these many months later, celebrating these numbers because it somehow demonstrates that things shouldn't be closed or more closely regulated. Yay, breaking records! See! See!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So the issue for you is not actually with travel, but having an unsafe thanksgiving gathering and that could be in the same neighborhood, town or a flight away.

Again, the CDC since you referenced them, does not say having a large gathering will cause deaths, they say may, and there is a reason they say it that way.

Either way , agree to disagree

and on a sincere note - Have a wonderful Thanksgiving in what ever way one feels is best for them.
I get that people are going to do what they want no matter what recommendations are out there. I accept that, but don’t try to play semantics with words like may or will. Getting together against recommendations is higher risk and will result in more cases and since a percent of cases result in death it will result in more deaths. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. People get to do what they want, but there’s no way then to try to claim it’s not an issue. Just own the action.

legwand77

I get that people are going to do what they want no matter what recommendations are out there. I accept that, but don’t try to play semantics with words like may or will. Getting together against recommendations is higher risk and will result in more cases and since a percent of cases result in death it will result in more deaths. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. People get to do what they want, but there’s no way then to try to claim it’s not an issue. Just own the action.
There is a big difference between will and may, it is not semantics, words are important.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom