News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Speaking of nurses and front line medical workers here’s an interesting prospective:

Quote from the article:
“Healthcare workers aren’t the frontline, we’re the last line.” She also said how critical it is for all of us to be doing our part to keep ourselves and are loved ones out of the hospitals right now. “There isn’t any cavalry coming to relieve us or take our place if we fall, and things are only going to get worse,” she says. “We will do everything we can for as long as we can to help as many as we can, but the public has to do their part to limit the spread of covid or the healthcare system and the people who work in healthcare will collapse under the weight of it.”

In reference to front line healthcare workers:
These are people who we used to clap for every single night when they got off their shifts and now can’t even be bothered to wear a mask for or stay home for the holidays because it’s too much of an inconvenience.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is a big difference between will and may, it is not semantics, words are important.
It is semantics. There’s no way you can possibly argue that no additional people will end up dying from Covid after getting infected at a Thanksgiving gathering that violates the CDC recommendation. It will happen. No point having a back and forth, in a couple of weeks the articles and news stories will pop up. Sad but true.

legwand77

It is semantics. There’s no way you can possibly argue that no additional people will end up dying from Covid after getting infected at a Thanksgiving gathering that violates the CDC recommendation. It will happen. No point having a back and forth, in a couple of weeks the articles and news stories will pop up. Sad but true.
Big change from travel will cause deaths. Now you are just talking about thanksgiving gatherings. I think people will become infected at thanksgiving gatherings that follow all CDC guidelines, some even just within one family. Know your risks and take precautions as necessary and that is what CDC says.

You will win the Powerball lottery vs you may win the Powerball lottery. Big difference. If it is just semantics I need to go the lottery commission and collect. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Big change from travel will cause deaths. Now you are just talking about thanksgiving gatherings. I think people will become infected at thanksgiving gatherings that follow all CDC guidelines, some even just within one family. Know your risks and take precautions as necessary and that is what CDC says.

You will win the Powerball lottery vs you may win the Powerball lottery. Big difference. If it is just semantics I need to go the lottery commission and collect. ;)
I can’t say it any more clearly. You posted about “record breaking” flying as if it was related to WDW. My response was that it was people traveling for Thanksgiving not people going to WDW and they are doing it against CDC recommendations. The CDC specifically said not to travel over the holiday weekend in addition to their recomendation not to get together with people outside your family group for Thanksgiving. They didn’t say it’s Ok to do if you know the risks. They spell out that travel leads to more spread of the virus. They don’t mention deaths but since more virus leads to more death its a logical conclusion. You are attempting to discount the recommendation saying they used the word may instead of will. That really changes nothing. Their recommendation continues to say if you decide not to follow their first recommendation then here is a list of precautions that you should at least try including staying outside, wearing masks the whole time, distancing and limiting the time spent together.

The nonsense about the power ball is just that.

Archie123

Speaking of nurses and front line medical workers here’s an interesting prospective:

Quote from the article:
“Healthcare workers aren’t the frontline, we’re the last line.” She also said how critical it is for all of us to be doing our part to keep ourselves and are loved ones out of the hospitals right now. “There isn’t any cavalry coming to relieve us or take our place if we fall, and things are only going to get worse,” she says. “We will do everything we can for as long as we can to help as many as we can, but the public has to do their part to limit the spread of covid or the healthcare system and the people who work in healthcare will collapse under the weight of it.”

These are people who we used to clap for every single night when they got off their shifts and now can’t even be bothered to wear a mask for or stay home for the holidays because it’s too much of an inconvenience.

Yes real nurses are true heroes.

Miss Bella

Quote from the article:

I don't know one healthcare worker that's not working on the holidays that plans on staying home alone on Thanksgiving or Christmas. If they are lucky enough to be off they are celebrating with family\friends and yes many are getting on a plan and traveling. This is my first Thanksgiving off in three years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know one healthcare worker that's not working on the holidays that plans on staying home alone on Thanksgiving or Christmas. If they are lucky enough to be off they are celebrating with family\friends and yes many are getting on a plan and traveling. This is my first Thanksgiving off in three years.
Of the healthcare workers I know, none that I know of are planning on getting together in a large group, I know because some would have been with me. I have friends and family members who are both doctors and nurses but I don’t know what everyone is doing so it’s possible some are gathering with a large group. The ones that I know are not staying home alone, they are having Thanksgiving with their immediate family. I find it bizarre that you work in a hospital and every person you work with are all ignoring the CDC recommendation, I would have assumed it would be a mixed bag just like the rest of society with some going out and some staying home.

Miss Bella

Of the healthcare workers I know, none that I know of are planning on getting together in a large group, I know because some would have been with me. I have friends and family members who are both doctors and nurses but I don’t know what everyone is doing so it’s possible some are gathering with a large group. The ones that I know are not staying home alone, they are having Thanksgiving with their immediate family. I find it bizarre that you work in a hospital and every person you work with are all ignoring the CDC recommendation, I would have assumed it would be a mixed bag just like the rest of society with some going out and some staying home.
I think you generalize too much. Your circle of healthcare workers is small and so is mine for the most part. It may be a mixed bag as you put it. Believe it or not we don't sit around discussing CDC guidelines. People on the internet do that. I don't know anybody outside of this forum that is willing to let the CDC run their life.

When I see anecdotal articles interviewing a couple of healthcare workers in order to sway public opinion I have to give it a big eyeroll.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think you generalize too much. Your circle of healthcare workers is small and so is mine for the most part. It may be a mixed bag as you put it. Believe it or not we don't sit around discussing CDC guidelines. People on the internet do that. I don't know anybody outside of this forum that is willing to let the CDC run their life.

When I see anecdotal articles interviewing a couple of healthcare workers in order to sway public opinion I have to give it a big eyeroll.
I said my group was limited to the people I know. A handful of hospital workers and first responders. They are doing what most people I know are doing, they are staying home and keeping it small. You don’t have to sit around talking about CDC guidelines to talk about what people are doing for Thanksgiving. I talk to my co-workers, I know what a lot of them are doing for the holidays. Since most people are doing something different than normal years it usually comes up in the context of “yeah we’re keeping it small this year“ or “yeah we aren’t going to Illinois to see my family like we normally do”.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. You can eyeroll someone else’s opinion and I’m sure some people eye roll yours. Your opinion and plans are just as anecdotal as the person in that story.

DisneyCane

I can easily find dozens of healthcare workers (who I personally know) to write anecdotal stories about who feel as strong as I do about being anti-restriction and not letting COVID rule our lives. I could also find several who feel the opposite. Also, I concur that they don't spend all day every day discussing COVID and CDC guidelines. If a COVID patient arrives, they follow the PPE and isolation protocols and treat them.

As for that nurse's before and after picture, she's comparing a professional portrait taken with makeup and her hair done and smiling to a picture not wearing makeup, in bad lighting, having recently removed a tight fitting mask (likely N95) and her hair being recently freed from a surgical cap or something similar and scowling. She'd look the same if she didn't wear makeup and spent a day in WDW.

My dad was in the ICU in South Florida in August when hospitalizations had recently peaked (not for COVID) and none of the ICU nurses appeared to be about to pass out or haggard looking. In fact, their demeaner was the same as ICU nurses when I visited people in an ICU pre-COVID.

Miss Bella

I can easily find dozens of healthcare workers (who I personally know) to write anecdotal stories about who feel as strong as I do about being anti-restriction and not letting COVID rule our lives. I could also find several who feel the opposite. Also, I concur that they don't spend all day every day discussing COVID and CDC guidelines. If a COVID patient arrives, they follow the PPE and isolation protocols and treat them.

As for that nurse's before and after picture, she's comparing a professional portrait taken with makeup and her hair done and smiling to a picture not wearing makeup, in bad lighting, having recently removed a tight fitting mask (likely N95) and her hair being recently freed from a surgical cap or something similar and scowling. She'd look the same if she didn't wear makeup and spent a day in WDW.

My dad was in the ICU in South Florida in August when hospitalizations had recently peaked (not for COVID) and none of the ICU nurses appeared to be about to pass out or haggard looking. In fact, their demeaner was the same as ICU nurses when I visited people in an ICU pre-COVID.
Most nurses are women they are more apt to talk about their kids, botox, and their hair then they are about Covid. I agree with you nurses are all over the map when it comes to how they feel about restrictions and masks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Everyone’s experience is different. A nurse who is working a lot of hours and is under a ton of stress posts about how she feels and you choose to question that because some nurses in a different hospital and a different situation didn’t look haggard. I’m glad you were able to determine how all nurses everywhere should feel based on a handful of people you saw. 🤦

DisneyCane

Everyone’s experience is different. A nurse who is working a lot of hours and is under a ton of stress posts about how she feels and you choose to question that because some nurses in a different hospital and a different situation didn’t look haggard. I’m glad you were able to determine how all nurses everywhere should feel based on a handful of people you saw. 🤦
I didn't say how they all should feel. I was adding to the point @LUVMCO made about how all healthcare providers don't feel the same as you and others in this thread and that it is an anecdotal story put out to sway public opinion. You won't see a story of a nurse who is happy to be getting a ton of overtime pay and plans to go to a football game and a dinner for 25 this weekend because that doesn't fit the narrative.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I didn't say how they all should feel. I was adding to the point @LUVMCO made about how all healthcare providers don't feel the same as you and others in this thread and that it is an anecdotal story put out to sway public opinion. You won't see a story of a nurse who is happy to be getting a ton of overtime pay and plans to go to a football game and a dinner for 25 this weekend because that doesn't fit the narrative.
What narrative? I posted that story which was one person’s story. You questioned the pictures and discounted it saying you saw some nurses in a hospital who looked fine. You are free to post a story like the one you described that highlights someone else’s opinion or feelings. I never said every healthcare worker feels the same way, that’s a straw man argument you guys have created. It’s just one woman’s story, but it’s telling how triggered it gets people. It highlights the fact that your actions don’t just impact you which is hard for some to understand or accept. Easier to question the validity of the story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom