News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

Miss Bella

I didn't say how they all should feel. I was adding to the point @LUVMCO made about how all healthcare providers don't feel the same as you and others in this thread and that it is an anecdotal story put out to sway public opinion. You won't see a story of a nurse who is happy to be getting a ton of overtime pay and plans to go to a football game and a dinner for 25 this weekend because that doesn't fit the narrative.
A lot of nurses are quitting to become crisis travelers. The average pay is about 5k a week most of it untaxed. I believe it's coming out of the cares act, but I could be wrong about that. I just quit my job. I'm going back to per diem and contract work. I may do a crisis assignment after the holidays.

Nursing has always been a tiring, stressful job that leaves you looking haggard after a 12 hour shift. A normal day your putting in 5 to 10 miles. Nurse burnout and turnover has always been really high. This has been going on for years and it has nothing to do with Covid.

You are right you won't read stories about nurses making insane amounts of money out of this. It doesn't fit the narrative or peoples perception of healthcare workers.

DisneyCane

What narrative? I posted that story which was one person’s story. You questioned the pictures and discounted it saying you saw some nurses in a hospital who looked fine. You are free to post a story like the one you described that highlights someone else’s opinion or feelings. I never said every healthcare worker feels the same way, that’s a straw man argument you guys have created. It’s just one woman’s story, but it’s telling how triggered it gets people. It highlights the fact that your actions don’t just impact you which is hard for some to understand or accept. Easier to question the validity of the story.

The narrative that we must all hunker down and obey whatever Governor or health official tells you to do to "keep everyone safe" because not only is the virus DEADLY but nurses (especially cute female nurses) are getting burnt out and look like they aged ten years in 8 months. We don't get the narrative from healthcare workers that feel that COVID isn't the apocalypse, that they treat patients as best they can and that we shouldn't drastically restrict civilization to try and hide from a virus. However, there are plenty of healthcare workers who share the latter sentiment.

Yes, the story "triggered" me because there is no equal time given to the other side of the story. Until the vaccine is available, there is exactly one way to significantly slow the spread and that is with draconian restrictions that remove freedom. Every time a City, State or Country "re-opens" the spread starts up again and eventually leads to a spike. Then people criticize them for "opening too soon" as if waiting a few more weeks would have eradicated the virus and that it wouldn't just spread again.

The debate is how much restriction is acceptable vs. how much spread is acceptable. There are people like you who seem to accept pretty severe restrictions including not having holiday gatherings because the most important thing is reducing spread as much as possible. There are people like me who accept social distancing type protocols (while still compensating businesses for having to operate under those protocols) but also accept that the spread will necessarily be higher because you aren't preventing nearly as much contact between people. There are even people in this thread that say we should do everything to stop the spread "at all costs."

My side of the argument doesn't get human interest stories. There won't be any stories about somebody who got to spend the holidays with extended family and then died of cancer in January because they ignored a Governor's order.

TrainsOfDisney

My side of the argument doesn't get human interest stories. There won't be any stories about somebody who got to spend the holidays with extended family and then died of cancer in January because they ignored a Governor's order.
Those stories are out there too.

What exactly are you wanting us to do again? Which country should we copy?

legwand77

I think you generalize too much. Your circle of healthcare workers is small and so is mine for the most part. It may be a mixed bag as you put it. Believe it or not we don't sit around discussing CDC guidelines. People on the internet do that. I don't know anybody outside of this forum that is willing to let the CDC run their life.

When I see anecdotal articles interviewing a couple of healthcare workers in order to sway public opinion I have to give it a big eyeroll.
exactly , personally know three doctors, one a leading doctor, that are going to have large family get togethers and traveling, go figure.

legwand77

I can’t say it any more clearly. You posted about “record breaking” flying as if it was related to WDW. My response was that it was people traveling for Thanksgiving not people going to WDW and they are doing it against CDC recommendations. The CDC specifically said not to travel over the holiday weekend in addition to their recomendation not to get together with people outside your family group for Thanksgiving. They didn’t say it’s Ok to do if you know the risks. They spell out that travel leads to more spread of the virus. They don’t mention deaths but since more virus leads to more death its a logical conclusion. You are attempting to discount the recommendation saying they used the word may instead of will. That really changes nothing. Their recommendation continues to say if you decide not to follow their first recommendation then here is a list of precautions that you should at least try including staying outside, wearing masks the whole time, distancing and limiting the time spent together.

The nonsense about the power ball is just that.

CDC does not specifically say not to travel over thanksgiving, just says it is safer to stay at home. They actually give guidelines on how to safely travel, big difference on saying not too. They say travel MAY lead to spread, as I have said.

So I guess I need to make my powerball claim? ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The narrative that we must all hunker down and obey whatever Governor or health official tells you to do to "keep everyone safe" because not only is the virus DEADLY but nurses (especially cute female nurses) are getting burnt out and look like they aged ten years in 8 months. We don't get the narrative from healthcare workers that feel that COVID isn't the apocalypse, that they treat patients as best they can and that we shouldn't drastically restrict civilization to try and hide from a virus. However, there are plenty of healthcare workers who share the latter sentiment.

Yes, the story "triggered" me because there is no equal time given to the other side of the story. Until the vaccine is available, there is exactly one way to significantly slow the spread and that is with draconian restrictions that remove freedom. Every time a City, State or Country "re-opens" the spread starts up again and eventually leads to a spike. Then people criticize them for "opening too soon" as if waiting a few more weeks would have eradicated the virus and that it wouldn't just spread again.

The debate is how much restriction is acceptable vs. how much spread is acceptable. There are people like you who seem to accept pretty severe restrictions including not having holiday gatherings because the most important thing is reducing spread as much as possible. There are people like me who accept social distancing type protocols (while still compensating businesses for having to operate under those protocols) but also accept that the spread will necessarily be higher because you aren't preventing nearly as much contact between people. There are even people in this thread that say we should do everything to stop the spread "at all costs."

The virus doesn’t take sides. No matter how many restrictions we have or don’t have. Many hospitals are starting to become overcrowded (not an opinion). Many front line workers are taking the brunt of this second wave. I’m sorry that their struggles don’t fit in with your narrative that things aren’t that bad. These aren’t just crisis actors they are real people. The fact that some healthcare workers “look great” or say they think it’s no big deal doesn’t invalidate the feelings of the many others. You are free to feel any way you want and really act however you want because there’s no real enforcement, but it’s sad to see someone attacking the feelings of healthcare workers who are struggling because it hurts their story or their “side‘s narrative”.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

CDC does not specifically say not to travel over thanksgiving, just says it is safer to stay at home. They actually give guidelines on how to safely travel, big difference on saying not too. They say travel MAY lead to spread, as I have said.

So I guess I need to make my powerball claim? ;)
You are delusional if you read this as anything other than the CDC telling you not to travel for Thanksgiving and that gatherings increase spread. They can’t say don’t travel because they have no authority to make an order like that. The recommendation is clear as day that traveling is not advised. Direct from the CDC:
More than 1 million COVID-19 cases were reported in the United States over the last 7 days.

As cases continue to increase rapidly across the United States, the safest way to celebrate Thanksgiving is to celebrate at home with the people you live with.

Gatherings with family and friends who do not live with you can increase the chances of getting or spreading COVID-19 or the flu.
If you don’t want to believe me, why not see what an actual doctor working for the CDC says:
“CDC is recommending against travel during the Thanksgiving period,” said Dr. Henry Walke, CDC COVID-19 incident manager. “We’re alarmed with the exponential increase in cases and hospitalizations and deaths.”
I’d say that’s a pretty clear indication that their intent with their recommendation was that people don’t travel.

legwand77

The virus doesn’t take sides. No matter how many restrictions we have or don’t have. Many hospitals are starting to become overcrowded (not an opinion). Many front line workers are taking the brunt of this second wave. I’m sorry that their struggles don’t fit in with your narrative that things aren’t that bad. These aren’t just crisis actors they are real people. The fact that some healthcare workers “look great” or say they think it’s no big deal doesn’t invalidate the feelings of the many others. You are free to feel any way you want and really act however you want because there’s no real enforcement, but it’s sad to see someone attacking the feelings of healthcare workers who are struggling because it hurts their story or their “side‘s narrative”.
We went through all this back in July, hospitals are being overrun, antecdotal stories everywhere, but alas the ended up fine, the hospitals and staff were able to handle it, yes stresssful but they got through it. That is what hospitals do. have you forgotten that.

legwand77

You are delusional if you read this as anything other than the CDC telling you not to travel for Thanksgiving and that gatherings increase spread. They can’t say don’t travel because they have no authority to make an order like that. The recommendation is clear as day that traveling is not advised. Direct from the CDC:

If you don’t want to believe me, why not see what an actual doctor working for the CDC says:

I’d say that’s a pretty clear indication that their intent with their recommendation was that people don’t travel.
My point still stands, it is a recommendation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My point still stands, it is a recommendation.
Nobody ever said it wasn’t a recommendation. I said people were traveling for Thanksgiving against CDC recommendations and you just said a few posts back that the CDC wasn’t saying not to travel. So now we agree that they are in fact recommending people don’t travel for Thanksgiving. Glad we cleared that up.

Miss Bella

Maybe the ones that can’t handle it should look for another line of work. Nursing is a hard job. It always has been and always will be. Thankfully, Im not seeing healthcare workers in crisis or on the verge of a breakdown. The only place I see that portrayed is in the media.

techgeek

We went through all this back in July, hospitals are being overrun, antecdotal stories everywhere, but alas the ended up fine, the hospitals and staff were able to handle it, yes stresssful but they got through it. That is what hospitals do. have you forgotten that.

250,000+ deaths in the US, with more coming in the next months, is ‘fine and handling it??’

We have studies prior to Covid that clearly link ER overcrowding to increased risk of mortality. It stands to reason that a system at or over maximum capacity, as many currently are, will result in otherwise preventable deaths in the Covid population as well as in admissions for other reasons.

* edit, link hits paywall... new citation :

Parker in NYC

Maybe the ones that can’t handle it should look for another line of work. Nursing is a hard job. It always has been and always will be. Thankfully, Im not seeing healthcare workers in crisis or on the verge of a breakdown. The only place I see that portrayed is in the media.
My sister in law is a nurse. Guess what, she can be a damn good and hardworking professional and still have the wherewithal to avoid a nationwide Thanksgiving travel superspread.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe their experience is different than yours. You are a nurse and you have your experience but that doesn’t mean you know the situation in every hospital in every state or even in the same town you are in. I don’t think because you aren’t seeing that situation at your hospital that that means these stories are made up by the media. Isn‘t it possible that situations are different depending on where you go?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom