Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

cmwade77

See, now why can't the public leaders in OC come up with these type of ideas? Doing this in a large scale manner across the county would push OC into Orange almost immediately and then into Yellow by December. Its not very complicated.
And honestly, if they got business to give say even just $10 worth of free stuff to each person that got tested, it wouldn't cost the businesses much, as they would likely make more in additional sales, but it would encourage the poorest to go and get tested, especially if say that $10 were at a grocery store, etc. and get their entire household to do the same, seriously, say 3 kids, two adults, that $50 per day towards groceries or other essentials. Or they might work out once or twice a week per person or something, at any rate it would increase testing rates and decrease positivity with no real effect on the tax payers.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And honestly, if they got business to give say even just $10 worth of free stuff to each person that got tested, it wouldn't cost the businesses much, as they would likely make more in additional sales, but it would encourage the poorest to go and get tested, especially if say that $10 were at a grocery store, etc. and get their entire household to do the same, seriously, say 3 kids, two adults, that $50 per day towards groceries or other essentials. Or they might work out once or twice a week per person or something, at any rate it would increase testing rates and decrease positivity with no real effect on the tax payers.
Exactly, now the real question is why OC leaders aren't considering these type of idea....

Hell, if I was Disney I would literally be handing out Disney Gift Cards on every corner in order to increase testing. It costs them nothing to do it. Again why aren't they?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, in other words, Orange County simply needs to push testing in the poorest communities? Perhaps offer to pay everyone to get tested every day? After all, if everyone tests, then they would be above the average and get pushed down as well and have a lower positivity rate and by offering to pay (or get businesses to give them freebies like Hawaii is doing), then it would naturally attract the lower income levels and adjust the equity metric as well.

Yes.

Double the amount they're testing right now, especially in the lowest quartile. That will help bring down the Cases/100k to below 2 (like it did for San Francisco. That will bring Cases to Orange Tier, but, then won't be excluded from the Equity discount.

While they're focusing on testing in the lowest quartile, provide targeted health care: free masks, pop up clinics, etc. This will make them eligible for the Equity discount.

With all that testing and with contact tracing, they should be able to get their 3.2% Positivity to under 2.0%.

Then Disney can open.

It is isn't that wide spread compared to other counties that are in lower tiers, the other counties that have made it to lower tiers have only done so by testing more people than the statewide average. Well you can only test more people if they are willing to be tested and most of OC is now very distrusting of the government, particularly at the state level, so they simply say no to getting tested.

Yes, that is a big flaw in the system. Counties will be trying to out-test one another which will only raise the bar for everyone.

Figments Friend

So, yeah.....how about that Disneyland Resort...??

Still closed, but hey!
Today I had fun recreating the experience of attending a evening during 'HalloweenTime' here at home.
Walked through crowded aisles and waited in a few long lines for a two minute thrill.
:)

Okay, okay......so it was the grocery store on a busy day.....but I gotta get my thrills somewhere since my favorite California Theme Park is not allowed to operate.
Watching YouTube videos of Disneyland's 'Matterhorn Bobsleds' while sliding down a flight of stairs inside my home on a wooden plank is just too risky for a old dragon like me.

-

TP2000

That's nothing! You should see my maskless Villa Park dinner parties... Sinful. Just sinful! :devilish:

So, yeah.....how about that Disneyland Resort...??

Still closed, but hey!
Today I had fun recreating the experience of attending a evening during 'HalloweenTime' here at home.
Walked through crowded aisles and waited in a few long lines for a two minute thrill.
:)

Okay, okay......so it was the grocery store on a busy day.....but I gotta get my thrills somewhere since my favorite California Theme Park is not allowed to operate.
Watching YouTube videos of Disneyland's 'Matterhorn Bobsleds' while sliding down a flight of stairs inside my home on a wooden plank is just too risky for a old dragon like me.

-

Disneyland... still closed.

I did see a thing on TV the other day where a SoCal car wash is doing a haunted car wash thing where really creepy guys in sponge outfits attack your car as you drive thru. I think I'll wait for the Haunted Mansion to reopen instead.

But a happy Halloween to you! New England is, of course, the perfect place to spend Halloween. 🎃

ToTBellHop

That's nothing! You should see my maskless Villa Park dinner parties... Sinful. Just sinful! :devilish:

Disneyland... still closed.

I did see a thing on TV the other day where a SoCal car wash is doing a haunted car wash thing where really creepy guys in sponge outfits attack your car as you drive thru. I think I'll wait for the Haunted Mansion to reopen instead.

But a happy Halloween to you! New England is, of course, the perfect place to spend Halloween. 🎃
It would be, if climate change had not left almost all of our trees still green, and the pandemic had not closed almost all of our traditional fall activities. This year’s festivities will involve driving through a parking lot while a masked radio DJ throws a bag of candy at you that you paid $40 for. This is Halloween. I guess that’s why Bath and Body Works already has its Christmas soaps out. New England is largely saying, “Thank U, Next” to the 2020 holiday season.

We won’t even get Santa behind a buffet-style sneeze shield, but there will be an exclusive Zoom to the North Pole that we can pay for. Let’s hope St. Nick pays better attention to whether his camera is on than Jeffrey Toobin.

Stevek

Original Poster

In Huntington Beach....my daughter actually went last night. She thought it was fun.

LastoneOn

I don't wanna listen to opposing thoughts LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAAAA.

But hey, looks like there's an agreement, you guys all stop posting in threads with that label and belittling opposing viewpoint holders. Cheers.
There's a lot of listening to opposing arguments, it seems what you want is AGREEMENT with opposing arguments - of a particular sort.

LastoneOn

You must not know that there are many verified studies that show masks are not working, that children are relatively safe in classrooms, and so forth. its not myth, its not made up. These things are real, factual. There is NO universal among millions of "experts" consensus that masks prevent this. it is NOT a proven fact.

Some people are vehemently opposed to this mask stuff as an example of government abuse of power. Some people are getting violent.

Some people are hitting people who AREN'T wearing masks. Getting violent.

All you have to do is follow the CDC/WHO back and forth back and forth to see that nobody really knows.

The health "authorities" (might have been CDC, can't remember) told people in California that their COVID masks would not protect them from the particles of the forest fires. Those particles were said to be TOO SMALL to be caught by the masks. Those particle are multiple times LARGER than COVID virus particles. Filters don't filter out the small stuff and let big stuff through. Filters don't work that way. So if that mask won't protect you against smoke particles, it is not going to protect you against this virus. Period. Fact. Not conspiracy, FACT. Laws of Physics FACT

Edited: on this last paragraph. I've since read that while the particles are smaller, they theory is they're contained in something else, during exhalation. So that 'something else' gets caught in the fabric. Well, I can see that but for that droplet something else gets destroyed and the particle is free to roam, isn't it? Still, wanted to update that a bit. The science I think, is still out.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

You must not know that there are many verified studies that show masks are not working, that children are relatively safe in classrooms, and so forth. its not myth, its not made up. These things are real, factual. There is NO universal among millions of "experts" consensus that masks prevent this. it is NOT a proven fact.

Some people are vehemently opposed to this mask stuff as an example of government abuse of power. Some people are getting violent.

Some people are hitting people who AREN'T wearing masks. Getting violent.

All you have to do is follow the CDC/WHO back and forth back and forth to see that nobody really knows.

The health "authorities" (might have been CDC, can't remember) told people in California that their COVID masks would not protect them from the particles of the forest fires. Those particles were said to be TOO SMALL to be caught by the masks. Those particle are multiple times LARGER than COVID virus particles. Filters don't filter out the small stuff and let big stuff through. Filters don't work that way. So if that mask won't protect you against smoke particles, it is not going to protect you against this virus. Period. Fact. Not conspiracy, FACT. Laws of Physics FACT
These "studies" you reference do not often say what others claim, a spectrum ranging from basic misunderstanding to outright lying. The recent study of people who "almost always wear a mask" says the opposite of what many are claiming. The people were engaged in activities like eating indoors. Read it and the conclusion is not that "masks don't work'.

The way you are harping on about masks is a clear illustration that you still do not understand. Nobody has ever said masks work against the virus alone. That though is not how it typically travels. Wearing a mask to prevent the spread, not catching, of a respiratory virus is nothing new. It has been standard practice at many medical facilities that all patients with cold and flu-like symptoms to wear a mask. Nothing changed about masks, what changed is the realization that unlike other respiratory viruses SARS-CoV-2 has significant pre- and asymptomatic spread.

GimpYancIent

These "studies" you reference do not often say what others claim, a spectrum ranging from basic misunderstanding to outright lying. The recent study of people who "almost always wear a mask" says the opposite of what many are claiming. The people were engaged in activities like eating indoors. Read it and the conclusion is not that "masks don't work'.

The way you are harping on about masks is a clear illustration that you still do not understand. Nobody has ever said masks work against the virus alone. That though is not how it typically travels. Wearing a mask to prevent the spread, not catching, of a respiratory virus is nothing new. It has been standard practice at many medical facilities that all patients with cold and flu-like symptoms to wear a mask. Nothing changed about masks, what changed is the realization that unlike other respiratory viruses SARS-CoV-2 has significant pre- and asymptomatic spread.
For once you are correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom