Politics Theme Park Reopening Guidelines to be released 10/20/20

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

SplashGhost

How many Californians are leaving the state to go vacation elsewhere? I imagine Vegas is getting quite a few Californians.

I work at a hotel in the Salt Lake area, and the amount of Californians I check in daily is staggering.

Providing Californians more local options for recreations could limit their travel outside the state, which is only a good thing.

I agree, if Newsom wants Californians to stay in California where it is "safer," then he needs to give them more to do. If theme parks were open, not as many people would be looking out of state for something to do. If Newsom cared about keeping people in his state safe from other states, he wouldn't give them reasons to leave California.

Theme parks are one of the main sources of entertainment for SoCal, and SoCal has become a painfully boring wasteland these past 7 months as far as I'm concerned.

SuddenStorm

I agree, if Newsom wants Californians to stay in California where it is "safer," then he needs to give them more to do. If theme parks were open, not as many people would be looking out of state for something to do. If Newsom cared about keeping people in his state safe from other states, he wouldn't give them reasons to leave California.

Theme parks are one of the main sources of entertainment for SoCal, and SoCal has become a painfully boring wasteland these past 7 months as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is expecting people to completely change their lives long term- with no end in sight and no path back to "normal" (Newsom's own words).

Humans will only tolerate so much- and if they can go to Disney World safely they will- especially if Disneyland isn't an option.

cmwade77

I posted in another thread that proves this very point, we did a cross country road trip earlier this year and will likely be doing a Texas road trip for Thanksgiving. It is quite likely we wouldn't have done either had the local theme parks been open.

LastoneOn

No, they aren't and you know why? Because they don't work and I did cite my sources in my previous post.
Yep.

I think the big cleanliness push, which is welcome in so many other ways, just kind of being careful a bit, is doing just as much. Too many think masks and 6ft takes care of it all, so they get reckless in other ways.

LastoneOn

How many Californians are leaving the state to go vacation elsewhere? I imagine Vegas is getting quite a few Californians.

I work at a hotel in the Salt Lake area, and the amount of Californians I check in daily is staggering.

Providing Californians more local options for recreations could limit their travel outside the state, which is only a good thing.
The traffic between California and Vegas is so high there have been many schemes, high speed rail, etc to capitalize on it - make $. Californians vacation lots of places, just like everyone else.

LastoneOn

You know, the closed attractions could very well be an attraction in themselves. Wander around, shop, examine the artifacts of a bygone era. Historical, educational,

The Proper People guys will show up, break in, and do a "Abandoned Anaheim Theme Park" for their channel!

Monetize the abandonment!

mickEblu

My sister and brother in law definitely wouldn’t have went to WDW.

SplashGhost

The problem is expecting people to completely change their lives long term- with no end in sight and no path back to "normal" (Newsom's own words).

Humans will only tolerate so much- and if they can go to Disney World safely they will- especially if Disneyland isn't an option.

I know Newsom doesn't know when things can go back to the old normal, but he needs to understand that his whole "you will never have fun again" approach doesn't work. People need some hope and some attainable goals or people won't take him seriously.

He doesn't seem to understand how to lead people through a crisis and have them follow his guidelines. Plus, he has made a lot of stuff too complicated for a lot of people to understand.

Bob Harlem

Anecdotal, but when I went to Universal Orlando last week there were 3 parked cars nearby with California plates, I asked about it, and they said basically they were bored at home and did a 3 family caravan trip across country.

lazyboy97o

Tourism is down across the board. If Californians were traveling more it is something that would be noticed by any number of travel and tourism groups that track such data.

The parks likely could have made an argument for geographic restrictions and a higher tier.

Not attracting people into the state is easier and less invasive to control than keeping residents in the state. One could claim if he really cared he’d place the state under actual complete house arrest. You could always continue to escalate the actions of “someone who really cares” but despite the hyperbolic claims there is actually a desire to allow as much as possible.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

It would be, if climate change had not left almost all of our trees still green, and the pandemic had not closed almost all of our traditional fall activities. This year’s festivities will involve driving through a parking lot while a masked radio DJ throws a bag of candy at you that you paid $40 for. This is Halloween. I guess that’s why Bath and Body Works already has its Christmas soaps out. New England is largely saying, “Thank U, Next” to the 2020 holiday season.

We won’t even get Santa behind a buffet-style sneeze shield, but there will be an exclusive Zoom to the North Pole that we can pay for. Let’s hope St. Nick pays better attention to whether his camera is on than Jeffrey Toobin.

Not sure where in New England you are located my friend, but here North of Boston the leaves on the trees are currently putting on a stunning show of color.
Have been for the last two weeks.
I was just remarking to a friend the other day that I don't remember the colors being so bright and varied the last few years.
I recall mostly the withered green and the primarily yellow hues...pretty blah, but THIS year...wow.
Just beautiful in this area right now.
There is a tree in my backyard that is looking most flamboyant at the moment.

I'll be hanging out in downtown Salem, MA tomorrow night with a pair of friends as is tradition the Saturday before Halloween.
Yes, 'the Witch City'.
The 'Real Diagon Alley'
It's a short ride away and always a good time.
Although the city cancelled all the special yearly 'Haunted Happenings' events , people are still going to come to town and walk around in their costumes.
Always a treat to see the creative efforts fellow freaks revel in.

And 'trick or treating' is still on in most areas where I am located, so Halloween evening will be another fun night of delighting the visiting youngsters with some tricks and treats of our own.

:)

-

MoonRakerSCM

I am gladly not spending my money in California and destroying the economy like my politicians want me to.

- I'm in Arizona this weekend doing some hiking.
- Will be in Alabama in two weeks for a 5k through a cave and some brewery hopping.
- Will be going to WDW meeting up with friends from all over the country, we just made dining reservations for each day at restaurants where we will eat INSIDE.
- Going to Montana during the holidays to visit some museums, skiing, and snowmobiling to old faithful for a day.

I'll continue to waste money and travel elsewhere while California businesses cry. Bet the city of Anaheim would like some of my tax money eh?

ToTBellHop

Not sure where in New England you are located my friend, but here North of Boston the leaves on the trees are currently putting on a stunning show of color.
Have been for the last two weeks.
I was just remarking to a friend the other day that I don't remember the colors being so bright and varied the last few years.
I recall mostly the withered green and the primarily yellow hues...pretty blah, but THIS year...wow.
Just beautiful in this area right now.
There is a tree in my backyard that is looking most flamboyant at the moment.

I'll be hanging out in downtown Salem, MA tomorrow night with a pair of friends as is tradition the Saturday before Halloween.
Yes, 'the Witch City'.
The 'Real Diagon Alley'
It's a short ride away and always a good time.
Although the city cancelled all the special yearly 'Haunted Happenings' events , people are still going to come to town and walk around in their costumes.
Always a treat to see the creative efforts fellow freaks revel in.

And 'trick or treating' is still on in most areas where I am located, so Halloween evening will be another fun night of delighting the visiting youngsters with some tricks and treats of our own.

:)

-
Happy to see people skirting CDC guidelines as the schools in Boston go remote...

MoonRakerSCM

Happy to see people skirting CDC guidelines as the schools in Boston go remote...
Good for them. I'm glad you're happy for me, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

In the past two months I've been to Reno/Tahoe to visit friends, Vegas (where I ran a half marathon up at area 51 at midnight (it's a really cool experience)), and did a spur of the moment overnight trip to Vegas for bingo with all the old people to celebrate my sister's new job.

Hey, while we're at it, I'm also about to book a trip in January to Quartzsite, AZ, going to go walk around buying rocks a minerals and hang out with a bunch of old carefree snowbirds.

MoonRakerSCM

Everyone talking about their vacations is making me bummed out. All I have to look forward to is a 5 hour drive to Fresno.
If you're up for it, the weather has turned and camping is perfect right now. If you're up for primitive camping, most of the expansive California deserts are open for camping anywhere and everywhere and you can pretty much do anything you want out there. Perfect weather right now since the heat has broken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom