News Walt Disney World theme parks increase capacity but see longer waits and less physical distancing

BWDVCkidsince96

We have had a mask mandate in NJ since the lockdown. The dystopian slippery slope didn't come about. We await your apology for failing to deliver on your promised hellscape.
To be fair, here in nj the mask mandate was initially only inside stores, then in the summer it was expanded to include outdoor areas where social distancing wasn’t possible, which really is super vague, so there of course are no mask police enforcing such a thing. It’s all just up to individual businesses to enforce, just like Disney basically 🤷🏼‍♀️

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be fair, here in nj the mask mandate was initially only inside stores, then in the summer it was expanded to include outdoor areas where social distancing wasn’t possible, which really is super vague, so there of course are no mask police enforcing such a thing. It’s all just up to individual businesses to enforce, just like Disney basically 🤷🏼‍♀️
You can be charged for Disorderly Conduct and/or abetting DOC in NJ for not following the Executive Order for masks.

10. Penalties for violations of this Order may be imposed under, among other statutes, N.J.S.A. App. A:9-49 and -50.

I don't know if anyone ever got charged for breaking only that specific law, but, they could. People who had parties or business that didn't follow capacity limits were certainly charged with DOCs.

SoFloMagic

Anyone else feel like this will self-correct? Word of mouth over the past two months has been "oh the parks have never been this empty, it's so great! You should go!". I'd imagine the word of mouth from this weekend will not be glowing. And if cases continue to rise, I'd guess the lack of distancing may concern people. Not to mention restrictions that may come from states as grow concerned...

legwand77

Anyone else feel like this will self-correct? Word of mouth over the past two months has been "oh the parks have never been this empty, it's so great! You should go!". I'd imagine the word of mouth from this weekend will not be glowing. And if cases continue to rise, I'd guess the lack of distancing may concern people. Not to mention restrictions that may come from states as grow concerned...
This word of mouth does not change demand either way, the vast majority of guest have no clue are not part of it. The people that hear "the word of mouth" is a very small subset of who actually go to Disney.

techgeek

This word of mouth does not change demand either way, the vast majority of guest have no clue are not part of it. The people that hear "the word of mouth" is a very small subset of who actually go to Disney.

I don't have a conclusive summery to back it up, but my overall impression based on social media grazing outside of Disney forums is that demand is absolutely non-existent, and a Disney vacation (or almost ANY major vacation...) continues to be the last thing on the radar of the 'general public' right now. So, if the audience is currently only Central Florida residents and 'plugged in' Disney fans, the day-to-day word of mouth likely means a great deal more at the moment then it usually does.

I doubt anyone's changing their plans for the next 30 days based on this weekend, but you better believe fans that are booked or on the fence for holiday trips are watching very closely.

The current guest is not at all the normal 'vast majority clueless' WDW guest. The parks are full of very educated and savvy WDW vets at the moment, and very little else.

robhedin

I don't have a conclusive summery to back it up, but my overall impression based on social media grazing outside of Disney forums is that demand is absolutely non-existent, and a Disney vacation (or almost ANY major vacation...) continues to be the last thing on the radar of the 'general public' right now. So, if the audience is currently only Central Florida residents and 'plugged in' Disney fans, the day-to-day word of mouth likely means a great deal more at the moment then it usually does.

I doubt anyone's changing their plans for the next 30 days based on this weekend, but you better believe fans that are booked or on the fence for holiday trips are watching very closely.

The current guest is not at all the normal 'vast majority clueless' WDW guest. The parks are full of very educated and savvy WDW vets at the moment, and very little else.
Not so sure about this. We always make it a point to chat with people as we're able and over the past month or so the demographics seem to be changing. It's purely anecdotal, but a few months ago what you said was absolutely true-- we primarily spoke with people from the South East. We just got back from a week long trip this past week, and while there were definitely locals and semi-locals, everyone we spoke to (i.e. were proximate to in lines while waiting) were from WI, NJ, NY, MO, etc. One family from outside Chicago was saying this was a vacation they had planned a year ago and had been on the fence about cancelling, but decided that it was a good time to go. A couple of families from NY and NJ had decided the flights were cost effective enough to come down and get away from that area; a NY couple (from Manhattan) were even extending their stay by an extra couple of weeks to extend things for the kids while the father "worked" from the resort. A family from OH was likewise happy with the costs and were taking a week in Orlando. None of these were pass holders nor particularly well informed. The couple we spoke to at the hot tub who were up from Brevard were also commenting on the relative crowds and it's makeup.

Again, take it for what it is - purely anecdotal and your mileage may vary, but from going down 1-2 times a month since they've opened, to me it feels like there is a change, albeit slowly change. Assuming that's correct, whether or not it continues is the open question.

techgeek

Not so sure about this. We always make it a point to chat with people as we're able and over the past month or so the demographics seem to be changing. It's purely anecdotal, but a few months ago what you said was absolutely true-- we primarily spoke with people from the South East. We just got back from a week long trip this past week, and while there were definitely locals and semi-locals, everyone we spoke to (i.e. were proximate to in lines while waiting) were from WI, NJ, NY, MO, etc. One family from outside Chicago was saying this was a vacation they had planned a year ago and had been on the fence about cancelling, but decided that it was a good time to go. A couple of families from NY and NJ had decided the flights were cost effective enough to come down and get away from that area; a NY couple (from Manhattan) were even extending their stay by an extra couple of weeks to extend things for the kids while the father "worked" from the resort. A family from OH was likewise happy with the costs and were taking a week in Orlando. None of these were pass holders nor particularly well informed. The couple we spoke to at the hot tub who were up from Brevard were also commenting on the relative crowds and it's makeup.

Again, take it for what it is - purely anecdotal and your mileage may vary, but from going down 1-2 times a month since they've opened, to me it feels like there is a change, albeit slowly change. Assuming that's correct, whether or not it continues is the open question.

Fair enough and some great on the ground insights! I was last personally in the parks back in September, and while I wasn't doing much talking to people I was doing a lot of listening... Locals, Cast members, DVCers, APs were all obvious and the norm, but we tapered off going just about as the 'crowds' started really picking up.

I'm sure interest is slowly returning from outside the fan bubble. After all, it couldn't have gotten any lower!

legwand77

Just go hop on over to the trip report forum here, plenty accounts of people flying in from all over the country to Disney. Even with bad economy, some have lost their jobs,etc and still are taking the trip.

Dan Deesnee

Yeah I'm going to have to say this doesn't match up with my recent week I spent in WDW (just got back a few days ago). Almost everyone I talked to was from out of state, the midwest, north east, etc. Lots and lots of "shirt-groups" that seemed to be on big family trips. The 3 resorts we stayed at were pretty crowded.

It'll be slow, but I do think the crowds are going to return quicker than people think. A nice boost up through the holidays, then it will drop off in Jan and Feb, and pick back up pretty big (in my opinion) for Spring break, easily surpassing the holiday crowds. By holiday 2021, nearly back to normal? I certainly hope so.

techgeek

Just go hop on over to the trip report forum here, plenty accounts of people flying in from all over the country to Disney. Even with bad economy, some have lost their jobs,etc and still are taking the trip.

Noted... and I'll counter by suggesting to hop on over to the trip planning forum... plenty of accounts of people having second thoughts about upcoming trips.

I'm actually not trying to be difficult about it. I'm sure we can both agree the picture isn't all roses at the moment, and still a far shade from what a 'normal' October should look like for a lot of reasons... although hopefully the trend discussed in the last few posts continues.

TrainsOfDisney

Flying in doesn’t mean they aren’t passholders / DVC members, etc. I would think the 1st timers are not visiting like they have in the past, but naturally only Disney has the actual data.

YodaMan

Flying in doesn’t mean they aren’t passholders / DVC members, etc. I would think the 1st timers are not visiting like they have in the past, but naturally only Disney has the actual data.

There could obviously be other factors to it (maybe people are less likely to ask for Celebration buttons during a pandemic, maybe there are less cast members actively hanging buttons out), but seeing families wearing “First Visit” buttons these days is pretty much nonexistent. It’s usually about 1 or 2 families per day that you’ll see wearing them at the park now.

giantgolfer

Everything I’m seeing online and is there are high crowds at WDW on weekends (locals/APs) and holidays. Outside of that, it’s been very manageable low crowds during normal weekdays. Plus, someone correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t there still a lot of resorts closed? Wouldn’t Disney find a way to open them if the demand was there?

It certainly appears to me that the vast majority of potential WDW guests are either still not comfortable traveling or can’t travel due to restrictions (which is my family’s issue).

What am I missing here?

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The start of the line for River Journey begins at Pizzafari.

IMG_5437.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom