Mulan coming to Disney+

Giss Neric

I really hate society. This movie is a big example. It seems like the comments the lead actress made really angered a lot of people and wants to boycott this movie. They will go out of their way to call this movie trash even though they haven't watched it. I'm aware that the internet is toxic but really people are toxic everywhere.

By the way, I liked the movie. Liked it a bit better than Cinderella (which for me is the best live action) but my golly the editing is bad, worse, worst.

champdisney

Just caught Mulan on Disney+ just now. Not a bad film. Some drastic changes from the original film but we all have known this for (what seems like) ages now. Still, the absence of Mushu and Mulan’s grandmother in this film were deeply missed. This film was a much more mature version than the Disney Animated Classic. I did like how the film started off with a line that categorized how this just was another heroic version in the legend of Mulan. Made sense, given the changes. Of course, the original is by far the best one. That’s okay. Still a solid one.

Disstevefan1

DonaldDoleWhip

I really hate society. This movie is a big example. It seems like the comments the lead actress made really angered a lot of people and wants to boycott this movie. They will go out of their way to call this movie trash even though they haven't watched it. I'm aware that the internet is toxic but really people are toxic everywhere.
While giving the movie fake reviews is a bit much, I don't think it's toxic to evaluate a product (or decide whether to consume or forgo it) based on the context in which it exists.

In this case, people have been growing weary of Disney's special relationship with China for years. The censorship, the thematic blandness catering to an oppressive regime: it's all culminated in this film, at a moment a time when the Chinese government is culpable for truly abhorrent behavior. After everything that's unfolded over the last 18 months, from Hong Kong to the Uyghur genocide to COVID-19, I don't blame anyone who'd rather pass on a film that was produced to please the Chinese government.

GimpYancIent

While giving the movie fake reviews is a bit much, I don't think it's toxic to evaluate a product (or decide whether to consume or forgo it) based on the context in which it exists.

In this case, people have been growing weary of Disney's special relationship with China for years. The censorship, the thematic blandness catering to an oppressive regime: it's all culminated in this film, at a moment a time when the Chinese government is culpable for truly abhorrent behavior. After everything that's unfolded over the last 18 months, from Hong Kong to the Uyghur genocide to COVID-19, I don't blame anyone who'd rather pass on a film that was produced to please the Chinese government.
Interesting. Think about it though to take frustrations out on a movie is not really a strong statement. A strong statement would be shutting down Disney Shanghai, reducing it to rubble, locking the gate and dropping the key off at the airport on the way back to the U.S. Oh yea, don't forget to wish them a Magical Day. Just saying.

CaptainAmerica

Yeah but this is a Chinese movie about Chinese folklore starring a predominantly Chinese cast. It's not like Disney filmed "Black Widow" in Xinxiang.

DonaldDoleWhip

Interesting. Think about it though to take frustrations out on a movie is not really a strong statement. A strong statement would be shutting down Disney Shanghai, reducing it to rubble, locking the gate and dropping the key off at the airport on the way back to the U.S. Oh yea, don't forget to wish them a Magical Day. Just saying.
Obviously these people have succeeded in making a statement by generating worldwide headlines, being endorsed by pro-democracy activists in Thailand, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, and turning off at least some would-be viewers from purchasing. I'm one of them (even had a ticket purchased in March) but will absolutely watch when it's free with my subscription.

Yeah but this is a Chinese movie about Chinese folklore starring a predominantly Chinese cast. It's not like Disney filmed "Black Widow" in Xinxiang.
Funny you should mention that, given what made headlines today:

Also, it's not really a Chinese movie. It's a US-produced movie about China with a white director from New Zealand and caucasian writers, blending the Disney live-action remake formula (which has lost a lot of its luster since Jungle Book) with tropes intended to please Chinese audiences (fair enough) and their government. If people are over it based on the real world context in which they're living, fair enough. They even get to save $30.

Agreed that troll reviews are stupid, but the boycott and general sentiment expressed by its advocates are completely valid.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Obviously these people have succeeded in making a statement by generating worldwide headlines, being endorsed by pro-democracy activists in Thailand, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, and turning off at least some would-be viewers from purchasing. I'm one of them (even had a ticket purchased in March) but will absolutely watch when it's free with my subscription.

Funny you should mention that, given what made headlines today:

Also, it's not really a Chinese movie. It's a US-produced movie about China with a white director from New Zealand and caucasian writers, blending the Disney live-action remake formula (which has lost a lot of its luster since Jungle Book) with tropes intended to please Chinese audiences (fair enough) and their government. If people are over it based on the real world context in which they're living, fair enough. They even get to save $30.

Agreed that troll reviews are stupid, but the boycott and general sentiment expressed by its advocates are totally valid.
As an animation a very entertaining story, as a live-action production not so entertaining. Current circumstances will prevent this live-action movie from having a large box office, now the bad P.R. will further weaken it's performance. In a short time The Black Widow release will over shadow Mulan. The unique relationship, kind of subservient, Disney has with the P.R.C. is troubling seeing that Disney is an American icon and global entertainment conglomerate. The question is what can have real impact to address that beyond some bad P.R. for a not so great movie?

DonaldDoleWhip

As an animation a very entertaining story, as a live-action production not so entertaining. Current circumstances will prevent this live-action movie from having a large box office, now the bad P.R. will further weaken it's performance. In a short time The Black Widow release will over shadow Mulan. The unique relationship, kind of subservient, Disney has with the P.R.C. is troubling seeing that Disney is an American icon and global entertainment conglomerate. The question is what can have real impact to address that beyond some bad P.R. for a not so great movie?
You’ve got a point; in the context of Mulan’s performance (even as a DTC release), I think the boycott will absolutely prevent it from reaching its potential. Doesn’t mean it will impact Disney’s China strategy, but it got people talking and will have a material impact.

What happens with Disney’s other vested interests in China is another story, and after the last 12 months, I imagine at least one prominent leader in the company is weighing the pros and cons of changing course. My bet is on inertia, as it would take a lot of backlash to outweigh the potential future profits, but anything’s possible after this year.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

What happens with Disney’s other vested interests in China is another story, and after the last 12 months, I imagine at least one prominent leader in the company is weighing the pros and cons of changing course. My bet is on inertia, as it would take a lot of backlash to outweigh the potential future profits, but anything’s possible after this year.

It’s not only a question for Disney corporate leadership but this movie has put under a microscope Disney’s “special relationship“ with the PRC. To the degree where the several prevalent mainstream sources have picked up on the boycott and called it a full-blown “scandal”. Among the most concerning quotes for the company is probably the following from the Washington Post which is one of the most common DC publications.

“In 1946, Disney released “Song of the South,” which glorified life on a plantation in painfully racist terms. Rightfully ashamed, Disney later pulled the film — it’s now difficult to find a copy. Mulan is arguably Disney’s most problematic movie since then. Not because of its content, but because of the shameful compromises Disney made in order to shoot it."

TWDC better hope this case of rightly justifiable “cancel culture” blows over or this could yield even more unfriendly congressional inquiries even beyond the already well publicized criticisms from AG Barr and others.

FutureCEO

TWDC better hope this case of rightly justifiable “cancel culture” blows over or this could yield even more unfriendly congressional inquiries even beyond the already well publicized criticisms from AG Barr and others.

I would like to cancel Bambi for killing of animals and the burning of the forest. ;)

Lirael

It seems it's outside problems (comments made by lead actress, filming locations) were not all the issues the movie had. Not only it removed all the fun, it changed the story from a tale of of effort and perseverance to... magic makes you special! it's like they wanted Chinese Elsa, only without any of the personality and plot that made Frozen loved.

Worse, they did all this to pander to Chinese markets, but by taking random elements of the culture and throwing them in without care or thought, so now even the target audience is displeased with the botched cultural elements. And they didn't try to do this with a new story, but grabbed a very well known tale and twisted and changed it until it's become something wholly different (Mulan's tale is a tale of familial responsibility and honor... this movie is about how girls can make it too! But only if they're the Chosen One born with magical powers).

Basically Disney thought they could win with little effort: throw in some random chinese elements, film in some random chinese locations, add in chinese actors and boom! Money.

Ironically, if they had done as with every other live-action remake and simply copy-pasted the original onto the screen, they'd have gotten out just fine.

DonaldDoleWhip

Yep, if the goal of this movie was to please Chinese audiences, they could’ve at least gotten more of the details right—and not warped what made its namesake heroine appealing in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom