Mulan coming to Disney+

InnKpr

Yep, if the goal of this movie was to please Chinese audiences, they could’ve at least gotten more of the details right—and not warped what made its namesake heroine appealing in the first place.

Giving her "superpowers", so to speak, took away so much from her character.

Wendy Pleakley

Report shows Mulan potentially netted Disney $261 Million from D+ Premier access.

That is a lot, especially considering they would have only kept 50% of revenue from a theatrical release. It would have needed to gross $522 million in theaters to match this revenue.

This has to be scary news for movie theaters. While I think theatrical releases will return to normal post-COVID, with these numbers I would not be surprised to see more upcoming releases jump straight to home streaming.

erasure fan1

I really don't see Disney ever really getting these live action remakes right. For starters, Disney is pretty well creatively bankrupt. The other issue is, as long as you are remaking films that already have a great following, and are pretty well loved in general, odds are great that you will come up short.

BrianLo

Report shows Mulan potentially netted Disney $261 Million from D+ Premier access.

That seems too good to be true. Especially with the distributor take of box office totals and the fact it has not yet completed its "run".

With those types of numbers (if true) Disney will be rushing to put Black Widow on the service. Something that has a lot more fandom to see it ahead of time than one would figure Mulan would have.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That seems too good to be true. Especially with the distributor take of box office totals and the fact it has not yet completed its "run".
Did you actually read the article? That number is representative of ONLY the D+ purchases, which Disney gets 100%. It does not include BO split.

I'm not going to break it down, but the numbers make sense

With those types of numbers (if true) Disney will be rushing to put Black Widow on the service. Something that has a lot more fandom to see it ahead of time than one would figure Mulan would have.
Its still not out of the realm of possibilities. The theatrical release is still their first option. But just as with Mulan, if it doesn't look like its going to happen they will put it out there on D+ Premier access.

But make no mistake Disney WILL be putting more content into D+ Premier access into the future. Maybe with a different price point, but they will offer more content as PVOD on D+.

BrianLo

Did you actually read the article? That number is representative of ONLY the D+ purchases, which Disney gets 100%. It does not include BO split.

I'm not going to break it down, but the numbers make sense

Sorry, I did not word that very clearly.

I meant compared to usual box office numbers, these numbers for D+ seem too good to be true. As in they are fairly equivocal once you take into account the BO split that "regular" numbers do not account for. Assuming this was a 400mil domestic movie.

"Too good to be true" in the sense that Disney really did not seem to sacrifice anything domestically by going VOD. They did nearly 10x the amount of Tenet... in less time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sorry, I did not word that very clearly.

I meant compared to usual box office numbers, these numbers for D+ seem too good to be true. As in they are fairly equivocal once you take into account the BO split that "regular" numbers do not account for.
Well of course it seems too good to be true when just comparing to standard BO numbers. We're so used to the old Hollywood model where there is a split. That is why studios having been pushing for a smaller and smaller digital release schedule, because they get a larger percentage of the revenue, just like the new Universal/AMC 17 day deal. And in the case of releasing on their own streaming platform they get 100%. Why do you think I've been arguing for almost a year here that D+ WILL be getting a PVOD option. Because it just makes 100% business sense.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Given that the usual formula of a movie's financial profitability includes its production cost plus a 50% extra in advertising and administration, Mulan's total cost is $300M.

Given the estimate from D+ and about half of box office receipts, then, so far, Mulan has broke even.

Any further income from D+ purchases or theaters from here on out is all profit.

This is a big 'whew' for Disney considering that COVID (and controversies) could have turned this into a net loss.

Of course, this model can't work for all films. Who would have paid extra to have watched Artemis Fowl as a premier film? But for Black Widow? Definitely yes.

DonaldDoleWhip

Giving her "superpowers", so to speak, took away so much from her character.
And to think all she had to lose was her charm, awkwardness, humor, relatability, singing voice, great taste in synth music, and any room for growth.

Still haven't seen the movie but am thoroughly enjoying the YouTube takes. No joke–at this stage the highlight of Disney's live action remake factory is seeing how Pitch Meetings and Honest Trailers take them down.

erasure fan1

Its still not out of the realm of possibilities. The theatrical release is still their first option. But just as with Mulan, if it doesn't look like its going to happen they will put it out there on D+ Premier access.
I don't get the, Disney won't release Widow on vod because they want that huge box office, mentality. If Mulan actually had that many downloads, Disney is foaming at the mouth for sure. I still think if they know Widow is a good marvel movie, just release it on D+ premier, asap. Why? Because if it is actually a good movie, you can re-release it in theaters for a limited run when all this is back to normal. There are enough mcu fans to bring in a sizable theater box office, even if they already did the paid vod. So it's a win win. The fact that they haven't done it actually makes me a bit worried that Widow is just average.

LSLS

I don't get the, Disney won't release Widow on vod because they want that huge box office, mentality. If Mulan actually had that many downloads, Disney is foaming at the mouth for sure. I still think if they know Widow is a good marvel movie, just release it on D+ premier, asap. Why? Because if it is actually a good movie, you can re-release it in theaters for a limited run when all this is back to normal. There are enough mcu fans to bring in a sizable theater box office, even if they already did the paid vod. So it's a win win. The fact that they haven't done it actually makes me a bit worried that Widow is just average.

Eh, maybe. The thing with Black Widdow is I think they are looking at a potential billion dollar movie in theaters. I think the fact that A.) She's never had her own despite being pretty popular and B.) It's been a long time since an MCU film could make that come out very big. While $300 mil would be nice when they keep the profits, I think they could be leaving a lot more on the table without the full theater release, and I'm not sure they get to $500 million with a D+ release. Now I'm about as far from a movie connoisseuras it gets, but just my thoughts on that.

Something else that I'm sure they are studying is the price point. Had Mulan been $10 cheaper, I think we would have pulled the trigger on it. I think the question (that I'm not sure they will be able to nail down an answer to) is are there enough like me that Disney left money on the table vs. the extra $10 per family that purchased.

erasure fan1

The thing with Black Widdow is I think they are looking at a potential billion dollar movie in theaters.
I would be shocked if Widow made a billion. Maybe if it released in the spot that captain marvel did, and it should have in my opinion. But unless you delay this thing until maybe this time next year or most likely summer 2022, I don't see a billion. Things need to be back to normal 100% for Widow to pack the theaters. Even then I'm not sure it has that huge box office draw. There just doesn't seem to be enough buzz with the general movie audience at this point.
While $300 mil would be nice when they keep the profits, I think they could be leaving a lot more on the table without the full theater release, and I'm not sure they get to $500 million with a D+ release.
So at this point you really aren't going to delay all of your other movies because of Widow. Or stack them up on each other, we saw how that worked out for solo. I think its a safe bet to think that a Marvel movie would do much better than Mulan on D+. So even if it was just 350 to 400mil on D+, that leaves you only 200mil as a special theatrical limited release to hit the near 1bill box office equivalent.

It's an interesting debate for sure because we really don't have any official numbers strait from Disney on Mulan. I fear the delays and uncertainty on this movie have already damaged it's potential earnings. So at this point it feels like it's just finding the best option to make sure the movie is in the green. In my opinion, if the Mulan numbers are accurate. A paid D+ release plus a limited theatrical release with some extra content, would be the smart option at this point.

LSLS

I would be shocked if Widow made a billion. Maybe if it released in the spot that captain marvel did, and it should have in my opinion. But unless you delay this thing until maybe this time next year or most likely summer 2022, I don't see a billion. Things need to be back to normal 100% for Widow to pack the theaters. Even then I'm not sure it has that huge box office draw. There just doesn't seem to be enough buzz with the general movie audience at this point.

Oh agree, my premise is the idea of delaying vs. release on D+. I see this as a movie that could be surprising in it's reach ASSUMING theaters are opened up.

So at this point you really aren't going to delay all of your other movies because of Widow. Or stack them up on each other, we saw how that worked out for solo. I think its a safe bet to think that a Marvel movie would do much better than Mulan on D+. So even if it was just 350 to 400mil on D+, that leaves you only 200mil as a special theatrical limited release to hit the near 1bill box office equivalent.

It's an interesting debate for sure because we really don't have any official numbers strait from Disney on Mulan. I fear the delays and uncertainty on this movie have already damaged it's potential earnings. So at this point it feels like it's just finding the best option to make sure the movie is in the green. In my opinion, if the Mulan numbers are accurate. A paid D+ release plus a limited theatrical release with some extra content, would be the smart option at this point.

So I guess part depends how much of the other movies are done, and how backed up things would get. For example, will it have any tie in to Wandavision? And how long would the delay be? Are you talking about a move to January/Feb, or til Summer? It looks like you have Eternals in Feb, Shang-Chi in May, and then Spiderman in December. Could you back up to a March/May/August/December schedule for the 4? I agree, it's an interesting debate, and honestly I'm not sure what would be the best answer for it.

Wendy Pleakley

Black Widow would likely do big business as a VOD release. With most movie releases delayed, there's been a distinct lack of product on the home video front in recent months. There's a reason people are willing to fork over $30 to watch Mulan.

I'm sure there are other considerations. Scarlett Johansson might take issue with her first solo movie, and possibly final appearance as Black Widow, being relegated to "direct to video". The powers that be might also want to retain the reputation of the MCU as movies that should be experienced in the theater. While most people understand these are unusual times, releasing Black Widow direct to home streaming could still dilute the reputation of the MCU to a degree.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Just a reminder - Mulan will be free on Disney+ starting tomorrow.

EoWALTkXYAMw9WA.png

doctornick

Watched the movie now that it is "free" on Disney+. Our whole family liked it. I thought it was a clear improvement over the animated film, though certainly had a good bit of differences.

I thought the use of her having essentially superpowers with her "Chi" to make the movie interesting, but I could see how that would rub people the wrong way. Especially as it blows up the actual historical legend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom