News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

ImperfectPixie

Clear coating and waxing will offer some protection, but both only last so long especially since this will be in the elements 24/7.
Yeah...I've worked with poly-carbonate. (Mostly in the form of white sheets for interior-lit signs.) I would think a regular cleaning and waxing should help with longevity...at least they aren't getting ice and snow every year in Florida. And it helps that they're stationary and not being subjected to the grime and grit of high volume or high-speed traffic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah...I've worked with poly-carbonate. (Mostly in the form of white sheets for interior-lit signs.) I would think a regular cleaning and waxing should help with longevity...at least they aren't getting ice and snow every year in Florida. And it helps that they're stationary and not being subjected to the grime and grit of high volume or high-speed traffic.
The thing that really kills polycarbonate is the sun. UV radiation exposure causes microfractures and yellowing and that thing is going to be baked every day.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Does anybody know for sure what the new pylons are made of?

Polycarbonate, Lucite, tempered glass or something else? Thanks!

Last edited:

*Q*

Hope the pylons change colors like the original one.
pc_20120427_1403291109.jpg
Hopefully Spaceship Earth starts changing colors again, too.
That could be due to their "newness". Polycarbonate weathers pretty easily.

Compare a set of headlights on a brand new car vs one just a few years old and you will see a notable difference.
It's hard to imagine that they're not some kind of different, newer material, look how much more refractive and crystal clear they are than the ones from opening day.

1597181150261.png
1597181244357.png

Figments Friend

This is a really nice surprise for me....as I didn't think Disney would actually bring back the entrance prisms for the fountain.
I am delighted to see these return.
Absolutely delighted.

The entire front entrance refresh / return to previous state has been great to see happen both in person and afar.
I cannot express in mere typed words how happy I am to finally see those 'Leave a Legacy ' monoliths removed and the greenery return.
The prism back on top of the entrance fountain is just the cherry on top.

Palm trees next in front of SSE, please....

:)

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom