On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They still approved it and improved it. Aulani is the finest domestic resort and it's not close.

1. Aulani
Huge gap.
2. Grand Californian
Medium gap.
3. Animal Kingdom Lodge
Huge gap.
Everything else.

It’s very hard to compare aulani with anything domestically.

Grand California is highly overrated. The original - wilderness built for half the cost/price - is better lb for lb.

DAKL is the best they’ve ever built. Boardwalk second.
I’d say yacht or beach is probably third. That tends to be more personal preference though.

If we’re gonna pick apart hotel construction/history...we’re gonna need a much longer thread...and coffee 😉

Brer Oswald

Grand California is highly overrated. The original - wilderness built for half the cost/price - is better lb for lb.

I’d say yacht or beach is probably third. That tends to be more personal preference though.

If we’re gonna pick apart hotel construction/history...we’re gonna need a much longer thread...and coffee 😉
Glad I got to stay at the best then! We went in 2018. Personally my favourite out of the resorts I’ve stayed at. But it’s the only Deluxe I’ve been to. It was the only one that had a reasonable price point.

PhotoDave219

The Furloughed Disney employees I imagine feel differently. It is amazing how people that still have income coming into their bank accounts are making such decisions. Just food for thought....

I cant get into that without breaking the Politics rules.

Suffice to say, I feel that shouldn't be an issue. People shouldn't have to worry about income or food or rent during this.

TrainsOfDisney

Agree with all of this. I do like California Lodge but both lodges in Florida are better imho. DAKL could be a vacation by itself for me. And actually on a work trip my coworkers had no interest in going to the parks (even though they could for free) so I just hung out with them and enjoyed the Lodge in between work. (only time I’ve spent that much time at a bar on Disney property!).

As for the coffee... I’ve got the French press brewing!

SamusAranX

Just thinking about this now; how many within the fan community even went pre-2005?

It's now 2020. We have a whole generation of post-social media Disney fans who only first went within the last 10, maybe 15 years.

We used to talk about how many fans didn't know what Disney was like in the 90s. Now the early 2000s are ancient history to some.

I went to Epcot and Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios when in 2002/2003. They were offering veterans a deep discount to get them and their families in the park. I had many fond memories. Mission Space was brand new and we actually liked it. Disney advertised the heck out of Philharmagic for some reason

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I went to Epcot and Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios when in 2002/2003. They were offering veterans a deep discount to get them and their families in the park. I had many fond memories. Mission Space was brand new and we actually liked it. Disney advertised the heck out of Philharmagic for some reason
Because they weren’t investing anything substantial at that time

That’s how iger learned to bleed everything and let dust collect on the shovels.

disneyflush

Who knows? 🤷‍♀️

For the time being, I think they're counting on people being desperate enough to visit and pay whatever they want to charge. Compensate low attendance with higher resort rates.

They're stuck a bit from launching big deals and offers to come down to WDW currently. Luring people from out of state given the current health situation would look awful and potentially open them up to liability if people begin catching it there (I realize that is debatable). If this continues to spiral and 6 months from now people look back at Disney's incredible offers and ads that brought people into the hot zone it would be very bad for their image and everything that spirals from that. Universal offering a deal to people already in the hot zone is one thing but I doubt they can do much to attract people on a wider scale without looking terrible.

It would be very interesting to have a breakdown of Florida residents vs out-of-state visitors in the daily attendance. I'm also curious what another shutdown would do to DVC contracts and point totals. How flexible will Disney be if this draws out for a long time?

DisneyDebRob

Comcast has been messing with Disney since day One...

Probably another reason the Board is ticked at Tallahassee
It’s good for Disney. I wish Comcast would turn up the heat more. Not going to happen right now of course but us lovers of Disney always make out better when the neighbor down the street puts up bigger Christmas decorations, daring us to match and do more.

sndral

Anywhere from 75-90% of Americans support mask requirements. Trying to cater to a small number of Karens while scaring off the majority of customers isn't a good business decision for Disney.

People are not traveling. Because of the virus. Because of the economy. Because of the restrictions. Because of the uncertainty. At best people are doing things near their homes which is why Disney only has APs right now.

The Bahamas has effectively banned visitors from the US. Other countries with the outbreak under control are also able to keep Americans out and have a semi-normal existence catering to locals and visitors from places that are also low risk.

Florida is THE hotspot now. Eliminating masks at Disney would be a PR disaster that would scare off more people than it could attract.
There’s a reason that last week’s headlines included the news that major retailers like Walmart, McDonalds’s, Target, etc. were mandating masks at all their stores irrespective of whether masks were required by the state/local government where individual stores are located. https://www.nytimes.com/article/which-stores-require-masks.html Now it could be because they are worried about their minimum wage earning employees‘ health, but I think not. I assume their income has been affected by the loss of foot traffic & they’ve figured out that the majority of their foot traffic won’t return until everyone is wearing a mask, apparently the Karen demographic doesn’t spend enough to make up for the customers they drive away.
Closing the parks would be bad for all Cast..... the health dept is what is driving half of Disney's issues right now and they , the health authorities, will not be missing any income based upon their decisions that could hurt businesses. They will get paid no matter what happens. "If it saves just one life" is the primary objective not saving jobs or business. Just making an observation.....
Well, they are the health department. It’s the elected politicians who are balancing the science from the health department against the economic fall out, and in the case of Florida, those ‘leaders’ failed the test, they are grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons because their health numbers look so bad and by bungling the health issues they’ve most likely made a bad economic situation worse. You can throw the doors wide open, but if nobody wants to travel to COVID central there’ll be no money to pay employees anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s good for Disney. I wish Comcast would turn up the heat more. Not going to happen right now of course but us lovers of Disney always make out better when the neighbor down the street puts up bigger Christmas decorations, daring us to match and do more.
1000%

Anything to temper prices is a good thing for us. Disney has always needed recessions to give them a head check

HauntedMansionFLA

Between Iger who have up his CEO role and it went to Chapek, Iger is supposed to leave at the end of 2021 which is the end of his contract. It would not surprise if he departs much earlier than that.
Didn’t he have an agreement with Rupert Murdoch to stay on till the end of his contract?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do remember you telling the travel company run site for years that the place wasn’t built to cater to only the wealthy with limited attendance......
Shhhhh!!! Don’t blow my cover

1596309873475.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're stuck a bit from launching big deals and offers to come down to WDW currently. Luring people from out of state given the current health situation would look awful and potentially open them up to liability if people begin catching it there (I realize that is debatable). If this continues to spiral and 6 months from now people look back at Disney's incredible offers and ads that brought people into the hot zone it would be very bad for their image and everything that spirals from that. Universal offering a deal to people already in the hot zone is one thing but I doubt they can do much to attract people on a wider scale without looking terrible.

It would be very interesting to have a breakdown of Florida residents vs out-of-state visitors in the daily attendance. I'm also curious what another shutdown would do to DVC contracts and point totals. How flexible will Disney be if this draws out for a long time?
This is a very good point.

They are kinda “immobilized” from both sides of the coin.

CaptainAmerica

You misspelled beer.

I'll never forgive Beach Club for putting salmon on an open indoor buffet, stinking up the entire resort. But that's neither here nor there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom