On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

DVCakaCarlF

I respect a lot of the people and their insights on this thread, but the teetering on bankruptcy thing is what's losing me.

Disney's financials are public. They've raised a ton of cash, enough cash to last over a year with virtually no revenue coming in and longer with revenue. Each debt raise they did was filled quite quickly... they've had no issues or resistance raising the cash they've needed. All at quite manageable terms. If they were to raise another $10B+ it looks like they'd have minimal issue doing so.

What am I missing here?
The other side of the equation: liabilities and obligations.

DVCakaCarlF

It's absolutely down to Corona. There are no international arrivals. That's a huge majority of their guests.

Then the majority who are avoiding Flordia right now from within the US are doing so. The only people in the parks right now are locals and those happy to take a risk with Covid.

It's as simple as that really.
Half of Orlando tourists had a Brazilian or English accent...so yeah.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Thanks, that great additional information. Even with those additional cash reserves, WDW is going at a pretty aggressive burn rate. Would it be correct to say WDW can expect a significant negative impact on their stock price, short of emotional equity purchasers?
If I could predict stock price movements I would be rich. I am pretty good at predicting business health but stock prices disconnect from that pretty regularly.

Lilofan

If I could predict stock price movements I would be rich. I am pretty good at predicting business health but stock prices disconnect from that pretty regularly.
Iger needs to put his positive spin hat during the 8/4 call with Wall Street. Investors and WS need to hear a turnaround plan news to help boost the stock price. Part of the plan could be a leaner meaner more efficient run company.

Mouse Trap

If COVID acts like the flu it will significantly extend the time we take to adjust, including economically. Live action filming is essentially dead at the moment.

Live Action has taken a massive hit for sure, but productions have been restarting across the world... USA included.

While not on the Burbank lot, Disney has kicked back on quite a few productions.

Pinewood and Blackhall have multiple huge productions set (should) to start early next month.

Last edited:

Lirael

Half of Orlando tourists had a Brazilian or English accent...so yeah.

And that impacts more than people imagine. I mean, a american tourist going to Orlando might go and buy park stuff but he's not going to go nuts anywhere else. A brazilian tourist will, however, walk through those Outlets, Walmart and Best Buy like they're the second coming of Jesus Christ*. Meaning parts of Orlando that aren't the parks itself will suffer more from a lack of international tourists.

*or at least they did when the dollar wasn't worth 6 times the BR currency, so even if the USA reopened, say, tomorrow, shopping from Brazilians would still take a dive regardless.

SpaceMountain77

Since the 2017 D23, as awful as this may sound, I have been secretly hoping that something would happen to pause the course and right the direction of the parks and resorts. Admittedly, prior to the pandemic, I thought a few sinkholes, under certain attractions and resorts, would be a reasonable solution. 😁

Here is a brief list of my gripes:
1. The thematic direction for Epcot is wrong. A wishing tree, really? Dreamers Point, when Walt's utopian vision was never realized? Cosmic Rewind, an attraction where the "fantastical becomes real," even though Future World pavilions have been inspired by emerging technology and human achievement.

2. Innoventions West is being razed, so that meet and greets and digital offerings can be offered in a pavilion that previously housed two attractions and a quick service location. Personally, if an IP-tie in was needed, Wonders of Life could have easily been reimagined with Baymax and the emotions from Inside Out.

3. Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway resulted in the elimination of a classic attraction that could have been updated (e.g., Aliens to Guardians of the Galaxy).

4. The addition of Star Wars Land resulted in the elimination of a quintessential holiday tradition, the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

5. Resorts are becoming increasingly uninspired. Gran Destino belongs on the Vegas strip and the Riviera is a Marriott decorated with Disney Art. Reflections, a Disney Hyatt Place Resort was a modern hotel sandwiched between a pioneer settlement and a late 1800s National Parks lodge. Moreover, there is a perfectly underused space at Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort that could easily and fittingly become Tiana's Place, however, Reflections was to get the Princess & the Frog themed restaurant.

Personally, I delight in reading these posts because I sincerely hope that the economic challenges faced by the company result in a thoughtful reevaluation of the parks and resorts.

Walt is often quoted as saying "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." To me, the current situation may be necessary to save what the parks had been, particularly Epcot.

britdaw

Can you speculate on why attendance is so low? Anecdotally I know of four separate parties who cancelled trips due to the one park per day limit and the reservation system.

Well this isn't my post, but here are my thoughts....
Yes, I totally agree with the reservation system and one park limits being big "cons" for planning a Disney trip right now.
Another big thing is that people do not want to have to wear masks in the Florida heat. It's hard enough for some to breathe in the masks, and there is just no appeal about having to struggle to breathe due to a mask AND how hot it is outside.
Another thing that I've heard multiple complain about is that Disney has cut so many things (entertainment, dining venues, etc.), yet the prices are still high as a kite. It's not fair to expect people to pay normal prices when the Disney experience is so limited right now.

Lilofan

And that impacts more than people imagine. I mean, a american tourist going to Orlando might go and buy park stuff but he's not going to go nuts anywhere else. A brazilian tourist will, however, walk through those Outlets, Walmart and Best Buy like they're the second coming of Jesus Christ*. Meaning parts of Orlando that aren't the parks itself will suffer more from a lack of international tourists.

*or at least they did when the dollar wasn't worth 6 times the BR currency, so even if the USA reopened, say, tomorrow, shopping from Brazilians would still take a dive regardless.
Preach.

BlackCauldron

Well this isn't my post, but here are my thoughts....
Yes, I totally agree with the reservation system and one park limits being big "cons" for planning a Disney trip right now.
Another big thing is that people do not want to have to wear masks in the Florida heat. It's hard enough for some to breathe in the masks, and there is just no appeal about having to struggle to breathe due to a mask AND how hot it is outside.
Another thing that I've heard multiple complain about is that Disney has cut so many things (entertainment, dining venues, etc.), yet the prices are still high as a kite. It's not fair to expect people to pay normal prices when the Disney experience is so limited right now.

I'd imagine it's a combination of many factors:

1. Many people do not want to travel at all right now.
2. Of those that would travel, there's many that don't want to travel to a hot spot. Especially with children.
3. Many simply can't travel (foreign visitors, those that need quarantine either on arrival, return, or both)
4. Disney's cuts are non-starters for many people. No entertainment, no fireworks/parades, no character interactions or character meals, one park per day, etc.
5. The masks.
6. Costs are all at rack rate, perceived value is down. Let's be honest - the discounts, deals, free dining, all pull in huge amounts of bookings.
The reliance on DVC and local AP holders is strong right now.

WDW Pro

Why isn’t park hopper being opened up? Also, why the reservation system? I bet 1/2 of people don’t bother booking or book and no show cause their plans changed.

Park Hopper being out was so they could get park numbers going forward. That's not working out, but they still haven't discussed modifying it to my knowledge.

Live Action has taken a massive hit for sure, but productions have been restarting across the world... USA included.

While not on the Burbank lot, Disney has kicked back on quite a few productions.

Pinewood and Blackhall have multiple huge productions set (should) to start early next month.

Please list the productions occurring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom