All things Universal Studios Hollywood

PiratesMansion

Their saving grace is HHN, the Studio Tour and Potter. Walking around Hogsmeade would be worth the price of gas/parking.

As much as we bemoan the changes Disney has made (and continues to make) to their classics Universal takes the cake for really destroying their classics in a reckless fashion.

Removing Hollywood’s E.T. for a franchise no one cares about, then Back to the Future for a franchise they don’t even own. And of course removing Jaws (Orlando) and the original Kong in both parks. Even JW was a thematic downgrade though I hear they’re making additions.

You forgot the Starway! I love my visits to Escalatorland!

In fairness, HHN and the Studio Tour are pretty darn good. There's more Potter in Florida, but otherwise there isn't anything objectively WRONG with Potter in Hollywood (other than the price of Butterbeer).

I must not have been the right age, but as a 13 year old, Jaws was nothing to write home about (I JUST MISSED the original Kong, unfortunately). I've been baffled by the E.T. ride every single time I've done it, whether 13 or 28.

I loved BTTF but I have to say, riding it in Japan in 2010 before they too got rid of it, it had aged worse than I had remembered. I had a similar experience in 2015 at DLP, the last park that was still running the original Star Tours. You could just feel that both of them were on borrowed time. Call me basic, but I love the theme park jokes from the Simpsons Ride.

Perhaps this is my lack of proximity to the park growing up and not visiting the park until I was an adult, but I honestly think the direction Hollywood is headed is mostly for the better. I thought most of what had been done between my two visits (2013 and 2020) were dramatic improvements. Certainly there are fewer additions there that have made me cringe in the way some of the Floridian additions have.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

In fairness, HHN and the Studio Tour are pretty darn good. There's more Potter in Florida, but otherwise there isn't anything objectively WRONG with Potter in Hollywood (other than the price of Butterbeer).

I must not have been the right age, but as a 13 year old, Jaws was nothing to write home about (I JUST MISSED the original Kong, unfortunately). I've been baffled by the E.T. ride every single time I've done it, whether 13 or 28.

I loved BTTF but I have to say, riding it in Japan in 2010 before they too got rid of it, it had aged worse than I had remembered. I had a similar experience in 2015 at DLP, the last park that was still running the original Star Tours. You could just feel that both of them were on borrowed time. Call me basic, but I love the theme park jokes from the Simpsons Ride.

Perhaps this is my lack of proximity to the park growing up and not visiting the park until I was an adult, but I honestly think the direction Hollywood is headed is mostly for the better. I thought most of what had been done between my two visits (2013 and 2020) were dramatic improvements. Certainly there are fewer additions there that have made me cringe in the way some of the Floridian additions have.

As you can tell from my avatar, I don’t mind the Simpsons change (and surrounding area). But BTTF was probably one of my favorite trilogies also. Glad the tour still keeps courthouse square mostly in tact.

I still would have kept some ties BTTF (and Jaws on FL) if I were Universal simply because of the ties to the brand. E.T. is probably the most baffling to me in part because I don’t find Mummy be a known quantity/franchise or a particularly good ride. It’s a very mediocre coaster and an even worse dark ride, in my opinion.

Excited for Mario/Nintendo though. And I’d agree once that’s complete combined with HP it’s probably an overall improvement.

mickEblu

They got rid of the escalators? How do you get to the lower lot?

MarvelCharacterNerd

1594672024996.png

When can I go to that place?!

(I mean, I really do think I'd love the Harry Potter additions, but man do I miss that place.)

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Does anyone remember the restaurant where the outside patio was raining and it overlooked a pond where two battleships were firing guns at each other? There were explosions in the water. I can't find a picture of it.

Doc Brown's Fried Chicken was one name.

BubbaisSleep

Does anyone remember the restaurant where the outside patio was raining and it overlooked a pond where two battleships were firing guns at each other? There were explosions in the water. I can't find a picture of it.
The mexican restaurant across from Doc's? I think it was many things over time. Loved the patio area.We would eat there often, especially when Universal had that all you can eat deal. I remember Zorro running around the rooftops of that building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom