All things Universal Studios Hollywood

Curious Constance

Has there been any kind of speculation or announcement as to when the new Nintendoland will open at USH? My son is a huge Nintendo fan and since our trip is already postponed until next year, maybe we could side trip it to USH!

socalifornian

Has there been any kind of speculation or announcement as to when the new Nintendoland will open at USH? My son is a huge Nintendo fan and since our trip is already postponed until next year, maybe we could side trip it to USH!
They’ve been saying 2021 at Inside Universal for a while now, even with the virus (so far). Nothing official tho. They like to joke that Universal announces everything last minute

Emmanuel

F1E94D2C-2740-4C81-A554-D5ADD2B509BB.jpeg

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes

I came on here to spread the news, but you beat me to it, haha. Honestly, I could do without HHN this year so long as they give me a date to cling hope onto for opening the parks in general. And I know, I know it’s impossible to know now because of the state government’s regulations. But cancelling HHN didn’t even trigger an emotional response because I’ve kinda lost hope in the California parks opening soon. 🙃

I’d relate this similar to my apathy for any game of thrones content and theories after the final season 😂

Rich T

They should have based the land off Super Mario Bros 2. Now that would be a fun land to explore.
SMB2 isn’t canon (well, except for the Shy Guys). It was a hastily reskinned non-Mario game (Doki Doki Panic) created for the U.S. because the real SMB2 in Japan was basically more SMB 1 but insanely difficult (and later released here as “Lost Levels.”)

The U.S. “alternate” SMB2 certainly was fun, though.

Looks like Universal’s Mushroom Kingdom is a “greatest hits” of familar Mario imagery from all the games. I’m still curious to enter this land and see if it works at all as a “place.” I have some doubts, but I cannot wait to try Mario Kart. :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
SMB2 isn’t canon (well, except for the Shy Guys). It was a hastily reskinned non-Mario game (Doki Doki Panic) created for the U.S. because the real SMB2 in Japan was basically more SMB 1 but insanely difficult (and later released here as “Lost Levels.”)

Looks like Universal’s Mushroom Kingdom is a “greatest hits” of familar Mario imagery from all the games. I’m still curious to enter this land and see if it works at all as a “place.” I have some doubts, but I cannot wait to try Mario Kart. :)
Unless I can physically throw a green or red shell at someone I don't want to go.... ;) :p :cool:

Sharon&Susan

SMB2 is part of the main series even in Japan, where its known as Super Mario USA (the fifth Super Mario game being released on the Famicom after SMW). It even got a Japan only half sequel of sorts called (wait for it) BS Super Mario USA, where it turned out Subcon wasn't just a dream.

Lost Levels has had almost zero impact on the series other than the Poison Mushroom, Luigi having different physics that Mario and the slightly longer version of the SMB 1 ending theme (which from what I understand was the original length of the tune before being cut for cartridge space in the first game) . It was a rushed launch title for the FDS which didn't make great use of it other than MORE LEVELS!

There's a reason why games like SM3DW, Captain Toad, and SMM2 all have overt references to SMB2, but not even the sprite style for the Lost Levels has reappeared again.

Last edited:

Rich T

SMB2 is part of the main series even in Japan, where its known as Super Mario USA (the fifth Super Mario game being released on the Famicom after SMW). It even got a Japan only half sequel of sorts called (wait for it) BS Super Mario USA, where it turned out Subcon wasn't just a dream.

Lost Levels has had almost zero impact on the series other than the Poison Mushroom, Luigi having different physics that Mario and the slightly longer version of the SMB 1 ending theme (which from what I understand was the original length of the tune before being cut for cartridge space in the first game) . It was a rushed launch title for the FDS which didn't make great use of it other than MORE LEVELS!

There's a reason why games like SM3DW, Captain Toad, and SMM2 all have overt references to SMB2, but not even the sprite style for the Lost Levels has reappeared again.
I take back my anti-SMB2 argument (Even though SMB3 is the “true” Miyamoto SMB follow-up... and THAT one apparently is a stage play the characters are performing).

One thing is clear: “BS Super Mario USA” is the greatest game title I’ve ever heard! 😃

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I know the history of the American Version of SUPER MARIO BROS 2. and I disagree with you when you say it is not cannon when many elements, especially characters have transferred to other Mario games and have become iconic. I think it would have been fun to base the land on SMBR2

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom