News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Josh Hendy

Do these exteriors bug anybody? I know it's not completed yet, but it all looks so cheap, fake, and inauthentic. The Paris in the Ratatouille cartoon looks better than this. Not up to Disney standards.
Can you link or show the specific pictures or views that bugged you? I saw these pics a few pages back on this thread and I thought the theming looked good.
Ratatouille_Full_37478.jpg

Ratatouille_Full_37470.jpg

Josh Hendy

I think they are referring to the second set of facades behind the buildings in the first photo that are 2d instead of 3d.
Yes I see what you mean. Even though 2D flats, the paint job could be better (possibly) for example darkening the shadows under the architectural details to make the 3D trompe d'oeil effect "pop" a little more. Ultimately however it cannot be escaped that this is a fake movie-set backlot version of Paris and stagecraft can only get you so far 🇫🇷📽🎬

lazyboy97o

Yes I see what you mean. Even though 2D flats, the paint job could be better (possibly) for example darkening the shadows under the architectural details to make the 3D trompe d'oeil effect "pop" a little more. Ultimately however it cannot be escaped that this is a fake movie-set backlot version of Paris and stagecraft can only get you so far 🇫🇷📽🎬
Stagecraft can get you a lot further. A huge chunk of this expansion is going to be rather shallow facades with some clearly glued onto a wall.

YodaMan

Would they pull a Galaxy’s Edge and open the expanded part of the pavilion even if the ride isn’t done? If the restaurant is ready to go and the space is walkable but the ride is still testing, would they open the area early?

SplashJacket

The main things that bug me with the expansion are these buildings.
1582744326834.png

All the newly constructed buildings look great, and I do not mind the flats, but existing facades were done on the cheap because they were only visible from the Epcot resort area.

The blue building is by way the worst offender. The color is far too vibrant and does not match the rest of the area. Looks more New England than Paris. I really hope they repaint it before the opening.

The yellow building, while not great, will definetly be massively improved once shrubbery is added at its base, however, it still wont be that pretty to look at.

I am so confused as to why it was thought adding a random structure in the center of the new area was a good idea.

1582744678912.png

It makes the area look cluttered, kills the primary view of the newly constructed backdrops, diminishes the impact of the fountain, and makes the area feel haphazard and clunky.

My only guess is that they decided to move the entrance out from under the archway and under the odd structure. This would make the fountain plaza only accessible after entering the queue and would give access to the overflow queue for standby as seen in the image below. Standby is red, Singlerider is blue, Fastpass is Orange.
Ratatouille_Full_37476.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Would they pull a Galaxy’s Edge and open the expanded part of the pavilion even if the ride isn’t done? If the restaurant is ready to go and the space is walkable but the ride is still testing, would they open the area early?
No. Unless the ride suffers protracted closure - even then it’d be on an ad hoc basis.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The main things that bug me with the expansion are these buildings.
View attachment 452134

All the newly constructed buildings look great, and I do not mind the flats, but existing facades were done on the cheap because they were only visible from the Epcot resort area.

The blue building is by way the worst offender. The color is far too vibrant and does not match the rest of the area. Looks more New England than Paris. I really hope they repaint it before the opening.

The yellow building, while not great, will definetly be massively improved once shrubbery is added at its base, however, it still wont be that pretty to look at.

I am so confused as to why it was thought adding a random structure in the center of the new area was a good idea.

View attachment 452145

It makes the area look cluttered, kills the primary view of the newly constructed backdrops, diminishes the impact of the fountain, and makes the area feel haphazard and clunky.

My only guess is that they decided to move the entrance out from under the archway and under the odd structure. This would make the fountain plaza only accessible after entering the queue and would give access to the overflow queue for standby as seen in the image below. Standby is red, Singlerider is blue, Fastpass is Orange.
View attachment 452151
That looks awful, but are you sure they're done? How many times did they change the paint scheme on the Odyssey last summer, 4?

lazyboy97o

The yellow building in particular is just goofy with a ridiculously huge cornice. It’s less noticeable across the water and was a cheap means of adding a roof, but not it’ll be right there with it’s giant nonsensical overhang. The crêperie is also garbage.

Josh Hendy

The yellow building in particular is just goofy with ridiculously huge cornice. It’s less noticeable across the water and was a cheap means of adding a roof, but not it’ll be right there with it’s giant nonsensical overhang. The crêperie is also garbage.
If looks like a semi-accurate nod to the last 30 seconds of the movie Ratatouille... for better or worse. Which makes me wonder what real life building the cartoon animators used as a model. If they didn't do so, perhaps the Epcot designers should have looked at that building and its context.
Screenshot_20200211-223948_YouTube.jpg

No matter what, anything in World Showcase or Mainstreet USA is going to come off as "model railroad" or North Pole village with plastic-looking, forced perspective in the end.

lazyboy97o

If looks like a semi-accurate nod to the last 30 seconds of the movie Ratatouille... for better or worse. Which makes me wonder what real life building the cartoon animators used as a model. If they didn't do so, perhaps the Epcot designers should have looked at that building and its context.
View attachment 452184
No matter what, anything in World Showcase or Mainstreet USA is going to come off as "model railroad" or North Pole village with plastic-looking, forced perspective in the end.
The building long predates the movie and looks nothing like the one in your image. There is absolutely no reason that the buildings have to look any of the ways you state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom